PDA

View Full Version : AerLingus to Start IAD-MAD with United in March 2010

Iberia A340-600
2009-01-22, 06:07 PM
A bit odd... But I suppose with the Open Skies agreement we will begin to see more of these.

AerLingus and UNITED today announced the plan to launch joint-venture service on the NEW Washington - Madrid service from March 2010. Ticket to be on sale from April 2009

AerLingus will be operating the service with A330.

The joint-venture service covers:
It is intended that both carriers will equally share the commercial and operating benefits and risk, with Aer Lingus managing the operational aspects of the new partnership services and United Airlines taking responsibility for managing revenue generation.
The pair plans to gradually increase such service and open new routes by Summer 2011

I personally don't believe that IAD-MAD can support both an AerLingus A330 and an Iberia A340. Both Spanair and United were unsuccessful with the route in the past.

LGA777
2009-01-23, 04:45 PM
I doubt Aer Lingus has a lot of brand reconition in Spain or the DC area. In US cities where they have brand reconition due to large Irish populations such as NYC, Boston, and Chicago I think most people of Irish descent fly them back to Ireland due to limited other options. If a respected Euro carrier started flying JFK-DUB many would probably pick them over Aer Lingus as their reputation is mediorce at best.

I predict in less than a year will be reading about this route ending.

LGA777

cancidas
2009-01-23, 04:57 PM
i was planning on flying them in Feb when i was planning a trip to London and Dublin. the trip fell apart only because Aer Lingus doesn't fly on saturdays. in terms of cost they were at least $100-$200 cheaper than BA/UA or anyone else for that matter, even LO.

Matt Molnar
2009-01-23, 05:32 PM
I wonder if their connections with jetBlue will apply to this flight.