PDA

View Full Version : Ditch Landing vs. Crash Landing

Speedbird1
2009-01-16, 10:13 AM
I heard that yesterdays' landing on the Hudson River is not a crash landing but is a "ditch" landing. Exactly what is the difference? Does it have to do with aircraft damage or survivors? I am confused.

PhilDernerJr
2009-01-16, 10:40 AM
As I understand, ditching pertains to an attempt at a "controlled" landing in water, as opposed to a crash, where there is little control or ability to have the aircraft approach the water in a level descent.

Speedbird1
2009-01-16, 10:44 AM
Thanks. That makes sense. That pilot yesterday had the aircraft under control at all times. Sadly, it's these senior pilots whom the airlines would like to "retire" and replace them with younger, more inexperienced pilots as a cost-saving measure, but that's for another discussion.

emshighway
2009-01-16, 05:47 PM
One you have more of a chance of surviving than the other.

threeholerglory
2009-01-18, 08:35 AM
Sadly, it's these senior pilots whom the airlines would like to "retire" and replace them with younger, more inexperienced pilots as a cost-saving measure, but that's for another discussion.

They're also required to retire by age 65 now I believe it is...but still unfortunate to see them go nonetheless. With today's economy, I think we'll see more and more seniority spreading from the regionals all the way through the majors.