PDA

View Full Version : USAF Starts Public Search for Air Force One Replacement

cancidas
2009-01-09, 06:56 PM
from FlightGlobal:

USAF starts public search for Air Force One replacement
By Stephen Trimble

The US Air Force yesterday took the first public step in the search for a replacement of the Boeing VC-25 Air Force One, the presidential aircraft fleet.

The USAF posted a request for information for market sources that can provide three widebody aircraft to replace two, 19-year-old VC-25s, which are converted Boeing 747-200s.

An analysis of alternatives performed in 2007, which identified the Airbus A380 as a candidate, found that it would be more cost-effective to buy new aircraft rather than modernize the VC-25s, the acquisition document says.

http://www.flightglobal.com/assets/getAsset.aspx?ItemID=26852
© Gareth Burgess/Flight International

The first “presidential aircraft replacement” must be delivered in 2017, followed by a second and third aircraft in 2019 and 2021.

The USAF’s options for commercially-derived widebody aircraft in that timeframe could be limited to the 747-8I and A380.

In October 2007, Airbus executives confirmed that they were invited by the USAF to submit data about the A380, A340 and A330 as part of an analysis of alternatives. EADS officials added that the company gave unprecedented access to the USAF for data about its commercial aircraft designs.

Asked for comment about the new RFI, an EADS spokesman replied: “We have received it and are taking a look. We’ll settle on a course of action after our review.”

In September, EADS North America publicly posted a recruitment advertisement for a business development manager to pitch Airbus aircraft designs for a variety of USAF programmes, including the Air Force One replacement.

In the past, Boeing executives have described retaining the Air Force One contract as one of the company’s top priorities.

“It is a very important program for the Boeing Company and we have been supporting for it more than 50 years so clearly we understand the presidential requirements,” a Boeing spokesman said.

Boeing delivered the first 707-based VC-137 Air Force One to the White House in 1962. The company also replaced those 28 years later with the VC-25s, which would be 27 years old at the time of their replacement.

“We are going to respond to the request for information and look forward to supporting our customer’s needs in the future,” Boeing’s spokesman said.

Boeing would compete from a position of long-term incumbency and as the sole domestic manufacturer of commercially-derived widebody aircraft.

But the US domestic industry’s dominance of the presidential aircraft fleet crumbled in 2004. A Lockheed Martin proposal based on the AgustaWestland EH101 – at the time, an Italian-Anglo manufacturer beat incumbent Sikorsky’s “All-American” H-92 proposal.

Transatlantic defence industry cooperation, however, was strained last year by the results of the KC-X tanker competition. Although Northrop Grumman proposal based on the A330-200 was selected by the USAF, the Government Accountability Office overturned the contract award on technical grounds.

i really really hope that congress gets wise and continues to buy Boeing and doesn't go for Airbus.

Midnight Mike
2009-01-09, 07:21 PM
Should be a no-brainer, the 747-8 :borat:

Jetinder
2009-01-09, 09:12 PM
How about Concorde ?

Ok its not wide bodied but the most powerful man in the world a US President would have the fastest airliner in the world as Air Force 1.

Getting parts etc would be easy as the president would get these custom made.

cancidas
2009-01-09, 09:48 PM
i'd say keep it simple and go for the B777-200LR. there should be more than enough room above the cockpit to install air-to-air refueling equipment as well as in the cargo holds for airstairs etc. i'd also paint it in the same paint as the C-32s and C-40s though.

T-Bird76
2009-01-09, 11:56 PM
Prob be a the 747-8

Delta777LR
2009-01-10, 02:39 AM
I also think the 747-8 would be a great fit

PhilDernerJr
2009-01-10, 07:42 AM
How about Concorde ?

Ok its not wide bodied but the most powerful man in the world a US President would have the fastest airliner in the world as Air Force 1.

Getting parts etc would be easy as the president would get these custom made.

Every post has to be a Concorde injection, huh? :-p

The Concorde lacks needed size and it also has too many airport restrictions. Speed isn't all that appealing when you sacrifice everything else.

moose135
2009-01-10, 12:04 PM
I would be very surprised if they went with a twin-engined aircraft. While modern twins are very reliable, if you do lose an engine, you need to land someplace. As BA showed us, losing one engine on a 747 is not a big deal, you can still fly half way around the world on the other three :wink: You don't really want to be making unscheduled stops with POTUS on board. And while I never expected the USAF to pick an Airbus tanker, I think I can state with confidence that the A380 is a non-starter to replace the VC-25.

Remember, this isn't just an airplane to fly the President around in, it is an extension of the White House. It needs to carry all the communications equipment needed to maintain contact with government, military and diplomatic services worldwide, and provide working facilities for not only the President, but his staff, security and the White House press corp.

nikon50bigma
2009-01-10, 08:03 PM
Can't picture the next AF-1 as being as Airbus aircraft... but who knows. Lol that would really be 'sticking it' to Boeing. I'd love to see a 777 or 747-8 as the next AF-1.

Matt Molnar
2009-01-20, 07:47 PM
Here is the official request. They only provided three weeks for vendors to respond, which makes me think the 748 is pretty much a done deal. So far Boeing is the only vendor who has responded.

https://www.fbo.gov/index?&s=opportunit ... bmode=list (https://www.fbo.gov/index?&s=opportunity&mode=form&id=e35e259abc36437e8e7665d42bdac9b2&tab=core&tabmode=list)

Impressive that they're only looking for 3 planes, compared to the 28 (WTF?@@#@#$@#!!!) new presidential choppers on order.

moose135
2009-01-20, 08:09 PM
This is more a a request for information, not a full blown proposal, so it would not need the details an RFP, and wouldn't take as long to prepare. Also, it's not like this is the first they have heard of it. That said, I still don't think it will go to Airbus.

As to the numbers, POTUS flies on the (now) VC-25, with a spare nearby (especially internationally), but they will preposition several helicopters at the destination. You can't fly the President from the White House to Andrews on a helicopter, stuff it into a C-5, then offload it at the destination and have it ready to go. If he makes a trip with two or three stops, they may need helicopters at each location, and typically they will have multiple copters for spares, decoys and security.

Gerard
2009-01-20, 08:40 PM
>As to the numbers, POTUS flies on the (now) VC-25, with a spare nearby (especially internationally), but they will preposition several helicopters at the destination. You can't fly the President from the White House to Andrews on a helicopter, stuff it into a C-5, then offload it at the destination and have it ready to go. If he makes a trip with two or three stops, they may need helicopters at each location, and typically they will have multiple copters for spares, decoys and security.[/quote]<

I've seen this personally when POTUS visits NYC. Sometimes the copters arrive a few days earlier and on a number of occasions
when Air Station Brooklyn was still active they would bunk out at the AS. I remember one time when the copters were there they
actually had Marine guards on the tarmac. And last year when Bush landed in Central Park on Marine 1 a few days earlier the
Marine copters did a fly-over of the Park to familiarize themselves with the route. Kinda freaked out the Sunday parkgoers on a nice
afternoon but must have been pretty cool. :D

N221UA
2009-01-20, 09:39 PM
i'd say keep it simple and go for the B777-200LR. there should be more than enough room above the cockpit to install air-to-air refueling equipment as well as in the cargo holds for airstairs etc. i'd also paint it in the same paint as the C-32s and C-40s though.

+1

777-200LR can pretty much get you around the world. Even though it has less MTOW, I think the 110K lbf of thrust will get you up in the sky faster than Fat Albert. :borat:

Jetinder
2009-01-21, 06:31 AM
Every post has to be a Concorde injection, huh? :-p

Phil

You have a PM.

mmedford
2009-01-21, 03:05 PM
See, what I don't get is that there is a public annoucement for AF1 replacements...

But wasn't 29000 under downtime for refurbishment and 28000 slated to go next?

the 747-8 is indeed without any doubt the replacement...since the whitehouse can't get a 744.

Matt Molnar
2009-01-21, 03:32 PM
Even though it has less MTOW, I think the 110K lbf of thrust will get you up in the sky faster than Fat Albert. :borat:
Since there are very minor cost and fuel consumption constraints compared to those required by an airline, I wouldn't be surprised if the engines on AF1 were souped up to some much higher thrust rating than conventional CF-6s.

moose135
2009-01-28, 08:54 AM
It won't be an A380 (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/01/28/321709/eads-waves-off-bid-for-air-force-one-replacement.html)

EADS waves off bid for Air Force One replacement
By Stephen Trimble
DATE:28/01/09
SOURCE:Flightglobal.com

EADS North America (NA) will abstain from an opportunity to usurp Boeing as the next supplier for the US presidential aircraft fleet.

The US-based subsidiary of the European conglomerate, which includes Airbus, confirmed the company will not respond to a US Air Force request for information. The RFI is the first step in the process to acquire a replacement after 2017 for the Boeing 747-200-based VC-25 fleet, also known as Air Force One (AF-1).

Although the selection of, for instance, the Airbus A380 might have been politically explosive, EADS insists only business interests guided its decision.

The USAF plans to buy only three aircraft. That order is too small for EADS NA to justify the investment of shifting final assembly and engineering work from Europe to the USA – two key tenets of its North American growth strategy.

Jetinder
2009-01-28, 02:06 PM
Looks like it will be the 747-8 or the 777, Obama could get a 787 as he is meant to be all for greener eco things, the 787 is meant to be the greenest plane in the sky.

PhilDernerJr
2009-01-28, 03:18 PM
I doubt they'd go with 2-engine aircraft.

mmedford
2009-01-28, 07:10 PM
It will be a 748i and won't be delivered until 10 years from now...

highly doubt Obama would even see it as President...