PDA

View Full Version : College ew... Any takers?

nikon50bigma
2008-12-17, 12:46 AM
Hey Guys and Gals,
Well four years in high school all lead down to this year; senior year when seniors start recieveing college acceptances and finish off applying to colleges. Its been a long process filled with a lot of BS lol.
Well I got one in today for Penn State, but I don't realy want to go there though... Just the first of many either acceptances or rejections lol.
So while I'm on the topic; where did some of you guys go to college?
Anyone on here attend any of the SUNY schools?

AirtrafficController
2008-12-17, 04:17 PM
I'm a high school senior as well and have submitted all of my apps and waiting for a reply. Congrats on getting accepted into Penn State which I heard has over 20 campuses! Sure the application process was a little complicated but hopefully its worth it. Good Luck!

moose135
2008-12-17, 04:39 PM
Back in the Mesozoic Era, I attended NY Institute of Technology in Old Westbury. Major was Mechanical Engineering / Aerospace Option (everyone took the core engineering courses, then specialized in different areas.) Never really had a chance to use the engineering, as I went through AFROTC and ended up flying KC-135s. About 10 years ago, I returned to NYIT for a Masters in Instructional Technology.

mirrodie
2008-12-17, 04:57 PM
first off, a huge congrats to you on your acceptance.

Anyone on here attend any of the SUNY schools?

Went to SUNY Stony Brook and commuted to school, Bachelors in Anthropology, minor in Biology with a honors thesis in Evolution of primate vision.

Post grad work was at a SUNY in Manhattan, where I lived a few years. :mrgreen:

My wife went to SUNY Binghamton and stayed on campus.

Mellyrose
2008-12-17, 05:50 PM
May I ask why you don't want to go to Penn State? What do you plan on your major being?

I went to the Tyler School of Art at Temple University in Philadelphia.

T-Bird76
2008-12-17, 06:22 PM
I attended Dowling College where I received my Bachelor of Arts in Management and Ashford University where I earned a Master of Arts in Organizational Psychology. Whatever school you choose I'd highly recommend a Liberal Arts program vs. a targeted degree (unless your field requires that). Liberal Arts programs IMO help to make you a more well rounded individual who can see an issue from many different sides.

cancidas
2008-12-17, 06:30 PM
if i had the chance to redo college i would have gone to a comminuty college for a liberal arts associated first, then tranferred to a school of my choice to study what i wanted to study. it would have come out a lot cheaper (and possibly easier) for me. this is in fact what my sister is going to be doing next year. she's going to LaGuardia CC for 2 years for an associates, then going to Quinnipiac Univ up in CT to finish bachelors in equine managment.

as ar as penn state goes i would definately go, as long as they offer the degree program you want. think long and hard if you want to spend four years there though.

Mellyrose
2008-12-17, 06:33 PM
While it's a great school, Penn State isn't for everybody. It really depends on your major and your personality. For some, it is their dream school but there are plenty of distractions. I'm from PA, so I know literally hundreds of people (including my little brother) who went to PSU, and though most loved it, some transferred for a variety of reasons.

Which campus were you accepted to for your first year?

jran225
2008-12-17, 06:57 PM
Congrats on the acceptance! I also have quite a few friends who enrolled at Penn State and most of them love it up there. A few of my them transferred out for a variety of reasons (mostly concerning campus size, distance from home, issues with the individual academic departments, etc.), but like I said, most of them were very satisfied with the school.
The best advice I can give you is to choose a university that you can picture yourself succeeding at. You're going to spending four years there, so make sure you feel very comfortable in the campus environment (this includes the physical campus and surrounding areas, the professors, and the students). Don't allow your decision to be influenced too much by the statistics for individual schools - ultimately, your grades are going to be more important than your school's prestige in determining how successful you are after college.
I'm a sophomore at the University of Maryland (Baltimore Campus). Not a very big or well known school, but I love it. Good luck, and PM me if you have any other questions! :D

Greets,
-Omar S.

Lezam
2008-12-17, 07:29 PM
Cuny Queens for Accounting

USAF Pilot 07
2008-12-17, 10:20 PM
U.S. Air Force Academy for my Bachelor's of Science in Meteorology and started my Masters in Business Administration last year, but currently have that on hold as I'm in flight school...

Right now I'm flying the T-6A getting ready to move on to the T-1 (hopefully) in not too long....

If you're not too sure on what you want to do, definitely go the liberal arts route. It will give you a lot more options when you finally figure out what you want to do when you grow up - (I think I either want to be a lawyer or financial analyst).

In either case, good luck with the whole process. Definitely get out there and visit all the schools and find one that feels like a good fit for you - whether it's the local community college, or a large state school!

PhilDernerJr
2008-12-17, 11:56 PM
With the thread title "college ew" I think you're off to a bad start in terms of your approach to college.

nikon50bigma
2008-12-18, 12:16 AM
While it's a great school, Penn State isn't for everybody. It really depends on your major and your personality. For some, it is their dream school but there are plenty of distractions. I'm from PA, so I know literally hundreds of people (including my little brother) who went to PSU, and though most loved it, some transferred for a variety of reasons.

Which campus were you accepted to for your first year?

I applied to Penn State University park as my primary, and Altoona as my back up.
But I made University Park, which realy surprised me.
Out of all of my schools I applied to it is higher ranked; compared to like Boston U and many of the SUNY's.
So what are some of the distractions down there? Since you knew so many people from there, care to share any good or horor stories about the school?

Mellyrose
2008-12-18, 10:36 AM
But I made University Park, which realy surprised me.
So what are some of the distractions down there?

If you were accepted to University Park as a freshman, I would be very selective in choosing your university as it's not common for that to happen, at all. You must have a great transcript, scores and writing skills for your essay. You will succeed in getting in to many other schools if you put your mind to it. You still didn't answer the question about major. have you decided? Do you have any career path ideas?

Distractions at PSU are mostly just the heavy party atmosphere. It's one of the highest ranked "party schools" out there, and even if you don't consider yourself that "type," it's VERY easy to fall into it and become distracted quickly. They're very into their sports teams, too....which is great, and it's always good to have something about your school to be proud of, but the celebrations are often very wild.

My brother went to PSU for a very specific degree in sports journalism. They have a great program for that there (plus the team sports presence) so he LOVED it and returns frequently as an alumni for games, etc. Others I know who went for more academic degrees found it to be too wild and transferred to private schools.

nikon50bigma
2008-12-18, 03:29 PM
it. You still didn't answer the question about major. have you decided? Do you have any career path ideas?

I want to be a Biology major or anything along the lines of pre-med. Career paths... doctor - oncolgist.
Yea thats the one thing that I've been hearing, that its a party school. Oh well time will tell, I'll probably check out the campus over the winter break.

mirrodie
2008-12-18, 03:43 PM
NikonBigma, consider the advice of a doctor...

when I was in college and looking at majors, I too went in, intending to do a bio major but I fell in love in Anthro. As I got into the major, tying primates and vision was a great way to marry my likes of bio with anthro.

Now, back then, 1995ish, med schools were getting tons of applications from Bio, Chem, physics and biochem majors and got few from other non-science majors. And guess what? A higher percentage of non- science majors made med school.

Why? Med schools wanted a well rounded education with the pre-reqs filled. They want a demonstration of excellent grades in whatever major, with good grades in the pre-reqs too.

Feel free to PM me. It was an interesting process getting in and I recall vividly some of the considerations taken into acct when I was accepted, as told by the Deans at my school.