PDA

View Full Version : Aviation related degree?

Nick
2008-12-08, 01:26 PM
Long story short, I want to go to college. I'm 25 and receive 100% SUNY tuition assistance from the Guard.. From what I can gather, you don't need a degree to fly. I have a close friend who is also a CFI, and will give me the hookup on some seat time. Today I discovered Farmingdale has an Aviation Program. I also have friends who attended Flight Safety in Florida, and Embry Riddle. Comments welcome.

mmedford
2008-12-08, 11:09 PM
what are you mad?

Run from this industry like the plague...

cancidas
2008-12-08, 11:17 PM
i've been to riddle and can tell you that you pay for one thing there: the name. aside from that the education is good.

i'm currently at vaughn college for a few more weeks. the school isn't bad, it's not that great either. like any place there are good teachers and bad. you're right in that you don't need an aviation degree to fly. if that's what you're going to do then invest in flight time and spend your money very wisely for school. i spent a semester at SUNY FRG and liked the school and most of the teachers there. i don't know about thier aviation program. are they still flying the katanas?

Nick
2008-12-09, 10:07 PM
I don't think I'd be flying civilian. Police / Mil more likely.

cancidas
2008-12-09, 10:57 PM
I don't think I'd be flying civilian. Police / Mil more likely.
if you're going to do that then don't bother going to school for aviation. get a degree in whatever you're interested in to make it easier and more tolerable and let the guard pay for your flight training. if you're going to want to stick to rotors then letting the military pay for it is definately the better option. i don't know what civilian flight training costs, but it's definately more thna fixed-wing training.

Nick
2008-12-10, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the advice! I guess that's what people mean when they joke about getting a degree in " underwater basket weaving ".

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2008-12-14, 11:57 PM
i've been to riddle and can tell you that you pay for one thing there: the name. aside from that the education is good.

i'm currently at vaughn college for a few more weeks. the school isn't bad, it's not that great either. like any place there are good teachers and bad. you're right in that you don't need an aviation degree to fly. if that's what you're going to do then invest in flight time and spend your money very wisely for school. i spent a semester at SUNY FRG and liked the school and most of the teachers there. i don't know about thier aviation program. are they still flying the katanas?
You're at Vaughn and you didn't tell me? I've been here since August!

mmedford
2008-12-16, 02:24 AM

Me too...

there every night, give me a hollar'

cancidas
2008-12-16, 11:21 AM

Me too...

there every night, give me a hollar'
sorry boys, i'm only there three days a week in the morning and only for two more weeks. catch me if you can. glad to be finally finishing, now back to studying for calc 2.

mmedford
2008-12-16, 04:23 PM
Taking calc 2 with Lavernge?

cancidas
2008-12-16, 06:02 PM
Taking calc 2 with Lavernge?
dash. =D the only one to take for any math...

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2008-12-17, 01:55 PM
I have dash for Calc I right now.