PDA

View Full Version : If you can catch a football...

NIKV69
2008-12-01, 05:15 PM
You can walk into a NYC nightclub with a concealed handgun with no permit whatsoever and once the metal goes off the manager says "go right in, I have the VIP room for you!" Probably with some hot chicks.

Accidentally shoot yourself in the leg because you have no idea how to handle it.

Have the nightclub not call anyone and clean up and paint over the bloodstain.

Have a buddy on your team tell you about a "celebrity friendly" hospital that admits you under a false name and knowingly breaks the law requiring every gunshot wound patient admitted has to be brought to the attention of police.

Then after police find out it was you come to your house and knock on the door and leave when nobody answers.

You call the police and tell them your coming in on Monday at 8am.

You plea it out and get no jail and probably just have to clean crap out of animal cages for a year and be on probation for 5.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/905683/bs.gif

Now lets look at if I did this.

I walk into the nightclub, the metal dectector goes off. By this time the first bouncer is probably already got me in a choke hold. If the gun goes off and accidently hits me in the thigh the hospital l go to doesn't have to call the police because the already there waiting for me. I then get jail time with a big hairy guy in my cell.

What was that about justice being blind?

I am not against giving professional athletes perks like hot chicks in hot tubs and a nice table without waiting at the 5 star restuarant but this is bad.

T-Bird76
2008-12-01, 05:31 PM
This guy should have been hauled off and locked up. Its to bad he didn't shoot himself in the head...the world would have one less loser to deal with.

cancidas
2008-12-01, 05:58 PM
Its to bad he didn't shoot himself in the head...the world would have one less loser to deal with.
i agree. how stupid do you have to be to "accidentally" shoot yourself?!?! seriously now...

Matt Molnar
2008-12-01, 06:26 PM
Its to bad he didn't shoot himself in the head...the world would have one less loser to deal with.
Stephon Marbury and/or P.Diddy getting shot also would have been preferable outcomes.

mirrodie
2008-12-01, 09:38 PM
Its to bad he didn't shoot himself in the head

That was my first inital thought as well. Too bad, he might have been remembered for that awesome (actually, ****ing incredible) catch in the superbowl.

But unfortunately he seems to be reading from the OJ playbook.

NIKV69
2008-12-01, 10:04 PM
Thankfully Burress only made the winning catch over his shoulder which was good but I think the one you are referring to was made by David Tyree. I am glad Burress didn't make that one. The Giants have to distance themselves now, they are the best team in football and the favorites to repeat and don't need this.

lijk604
2008-12-02, 09:11 PM
I'm a Giant fan thru and thru, but I support Mayor Bloomberg, who said that Buress should be prosecuted to the fullest extent, no special treatment. We'll see how that goes, but, I have to say, this is a total shame, and I'm glad to see the G-men already suspended him for the balance of the season. Hopefully without pay!

NIKV69
2008-12-02, 09:29 PM
Well there will be no prosecution here. He will plea it out. It's open and shut and his only prayer is too admit it and say he used the gun for protection and that he panicked after it went off. I see very little jail time if any and a fine and community service bull****. What is worse is the hospital will get hurt and someone will lose their job.

Matt Molnar
2008-12-02, 09:30 PM
A few people at the hospital and the club should be cuffed also.

NIKV69
2008-12-03, 12:04 AM
Hopefully without pay!

Yep, no pay.

A few people at the hospital and the club should be cuffed also.

Pierce better be careful as well.

cancidas
2008-12-03, 01:56 AM
anybody catch the cartoon about him in the daily news today? need to get copy...

Matt Molnar
2008-12-03, 01:49 PM
The club should also be shut down for letting anybody in wearing sweatpants.

Midnight Mike
2008-12-04, 03:46 PM
Stupid Union
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants ... unish.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2008/12/nflpa-to-appeal-burress-punish.html)

Union to appeal Burress Suspension

The NFL Players Association intends to file a grievance against the Giants, challenging their suspension of Plaxico Burress and their decision to place him on the non-football injury list.

“The NFLPA is still reviewing the actions taken by the New York Giants relating to Plaxico Burress, but we intend to file a grievance challenging those actions,” the NFLPA said in a statement released a few moments ago. “We believe that Burress’ rights have been violated under the CBA.”

The union does not make it clear how those rights have been violated, or whether they are trying to have Burress reinstated this season.

According to one NFL source, the union is taking this action in attempt to help Burress recoup some of the $2 million he stands to lose this year alone. He will lose $823,529 in pay for his four weeks on suspension, plus the Giants may try to withhold the final, $1 million payment of his $4.25 million signing bonus. And on top of that, they have fined Burress an undisclosed amount for his actions. Under CBA rules, they are allowed to fine him one week’s pay ($205,882).
All tolled, this punishment could cost Burress $2,029,411.

The union took a similar action in September when Burress was suspended for two weeks and one game. They never actually filed the grievance, but they ended up negotiating a settlement with the NFL management council. As a result, instead of losing two week’s pay, Burress only ended up losing one.

PhilDernerJr
2008-12-04, 04:21 PM
Are they saying his injury is football related? Ha.

Matt Molnar
2008-12-04, 05:22 PM
Are they saying his injury is football related? Ha.
He was wearing sweatpants, so maybe!

NIKV69
2008-12-04, 06:09 PM
The NFLPA is a terrible organization. They are simply going to try to help him recover as much money as possible but not being able to see his contract the "conduct unbecoming" clause could reach far and we will not know unless this gets ugly. The club may play ball just to get rid of him which is the ultimate goal for them now. This act is a felony and I don't think he can plea it low enough to get to a misdeamenor. So the club may have a leg to stand on.

I love how Pierce was quoted as saying he is willing to testify to the grand jury. How nice of him seeing if he didn't he prob would be arrested.

Tom_Turner
2008-12-14, 09:09 PM
I don't know that Plaxico is such a bad guy really.

He had a concealed carry license in Florida at one time. He should have tried to have one for New York and New Jersey as well. Presumably he had the time and resources, and arguably a valid reason to carry a handgun.

Obviously he is foolish.

As for Bloomberg's "outrage" and the drama over making a "mockery" of the law, I would not be surprised if New York Presbyterian doesn't report illegal aliens and most of govt here chooses to ignore all those immigration laws as they see fit and he does not lose sleep over it.

Tom

PhilDernerJr
2008-12-14, 10:12 PM
I'd have to say that I think there's a difference between an illegal immigrant and a shooting.

NIKV69
2008-12-14, 10:37 PM

He had a concealed carry license in Florida at one time. He should have tried to have one for New York and New Jersey as well. Presumably he had the time and resources, and arguably a valid reason to carry a handgun.

Obviously he is foolish

Don't think he is a bad guy but he has an obligation to his team. When you sign that big contract you basically become property of the NY Giants and should behave in a manner that is not unbecoming of the team. As for him getting a carry permit I doubt NY or NJ would have given one to him. He doesn't carry huge amounts of money for business and giving professional athletes guns would be a mistake as we saw with Burress who couldn't even carry it properly. He also made it worse by trying to cover it up.

s for Bloomberg's "outrage" and the drama over making a "mockery" of the law

He was pandering for the camera and being a politician.

I'd have to say that I think there's a difference between an illegal immigrant and a shooting.

Yea Tom I am not getting that, sure NYC has sanctuary issues but not sure how it ties in with this.

moose135
2008-12-14, 10:49 PM
The NFLPA is a terrible organization. They are simply going to try to help him recover as much money as possible but not being able to see his contract the "conduct unbecoming" clause could reach far and we will not know unless this gets ugly.
Sorry, that's their job, to represent members of their union. If they just walk away from him, they wouldn't be doing what they are in place for.

Matt Molnar
2008-12-14, 11:02 PM
I would agree with you, except if you feel that you're in legitimate danger and choose to carry a gun, please use at least minimal gun safety protocol. Stuffing it down your SWEATPANTS and drinking a bottle of Patron...wow. Glad it didn't go off while he was getting lap dances at the strip club he went to before shooting up LQ.

NIKV69
2008-12-15, 12:26 PM
Sorry, that's their job, to represent members of their union. If they just walk away from him, they wouldn't be doing what they are in place for.

This isn't collective bargaining, it has crossed over into a legal issue. The NFLPA wasn't created for this, sure they should represent him but to try to fight a team with a breach of contract is a little beyond the scope.

I would agree with you, except if you feel that you're in legitimate danger and choose to carry a gun, please use at least minimal gun safety protocol. Stuffing it down your SWEATPANTS and drinking a bottle of Patron...wow. Glad it didn't go off while he was getting lap dances at the strip club he went to before shooting up LQ.

Exactly, I mean I kind of get the impression Burress carried it in light of the recent violence against NFL players but Phil is right he was very irresponsible. Get legally armed bodyguards or something else. Then to try to cover it up after just made it worse.

Tom_Turner
2008-12-15, 10:28 PM
The illegal alien example I brought up here was in reference to Bloomberg's bleating about "making a mockery of the law" in his desire to send this guy to jail for years...

Yeah, I understand this guy shot himself by accident. Its reckless to let this guy have a gun. But there was no intent to hurt anyone. I don't see it as productive to send him to jail for "years". The guy covered it up likely because of NYC's draconian gun laws. I can't blame him for that.

Does a day go by during hunting season when hunters don't accidentally shoot themselves or others? Thats the nature of guns. Yes, they're (usually) legal, so okay, lets move over to speeding. Some kid drives 75 mph in a 50 mph zone. How many years is he going to jail? Because, you know, he *might* have had a blow out or been distracted by his cell and hit someone. How about for blowing a red light?

In my view, the NYC gun laws are hysteria enacted mostly by liberals still in the shadow of and incensed that Bernie Goetz shot those 4 pieces of trash on a train back in 1979 (78?). It was the self defense, vigilante angle they could not abide. There was a APB put out in about 5 or 6 states on that guy. If he had just been pushed under the train to his death, he might not have warranted a two liner in the Daily News and rest assured absolutely no "APB" to multiple states to apprehend the perps. In that case, Bernie Goetz' hand gun probably saved some lives down the road. But of course he had to be charged repeatedly (double jeopardy essentially) for the same act, and then sentenced by a judge to psychological therapy in the absence of any determination there was a mental problem. All Political. Oh yeah, and to "send a message". :roll: Thats always great equal protection under the law. Thats all this is about really.

Tom

NIKV69
2008-12-15, 11:40 PM
The illegal alien example I brought up here was in reference to Bloomberg's bleating about "making a mockery of the law" in his desire to send this guy to jail for years...

I think it was more PR and chest beating and a chance to get some time in front of the camera to appeal to the anti gun contingent.

Yeah, I understand this guy shot himself by accident. Its reckless to let this guy have a gun. But there was no intent to hurt anyone. I don't see it as productive to send him to jail for "years". The guy covered it up likely because of NYC's draconian gun laws. I can't blame him for that.

Well he made it worse for himself by trying to cover it up and drag his poor teammate into it who can still be arrested if the DA chooses to pursue it. In reality Burress will get a good lawyer and plea this down. I am sure the jail time will be a lot less than everyone thinks and a stiff fine and probation as well. He isn't going to get any special treatment here.

In my view, the NYC gun laws are hysteria enacted mostly by liberals still in the shadow of and incensed that Bernie Goetz shot those 4 pieces of trash on a train back in 1979 (78?).

Hmm think this a little bit of a stretch Tom, I think the laws in NY are fair and permits for carrying and concealing are given out to people who need and deserve them.

PhilDernerJr
2008-12-16, 12:06 AM
I've noticed crimes going up lately in the areas that I live and hang out at. I honestly am somewhat concerned about my own safety, and for my loved ones. With the strict gun laws in place here in NYC, and the freedom given to law enforcement regardless of the actual laws pertaining to carry "legal" knives, I have no way to protect myself.

If the economy worsens and historic trends pertaining to it occur, crime will rise. You will see the same people that asked for strict gun crimes suddenly wish they could protect themselves. Many people that wanted stricter gun laws never had to look down the barrel of one.

Tom_Turner
2008-12-16, 02:37 AM
Phil, thats exactly right. I've noticed some nasty violent street crime seems to be going up lately - just anecdotally of course, I haven't looked at statistics. But its alarming.

Nick, I think the law is fair up to a point, but if this city tilts to the way it once was, in my living memory, its hardly fair for Robert De Niro, Donald Trump, Howard Stern etc. to "need" one more than a lot of other folks.

I'd personally put cab drivers, bus drivers, deli store owners on the fast track if they wanted one and had a clean record. Thats just for starters. I realize though, not many people will agree with me on this.

Tom