PDA

View Full Version : Going back to see an old friend? Felix 101

nikon50bigma
2008-11-28, 10:57 PM
Hey Guys,
I'll be heading out to eastern Long Island next Friday to check out Stony Brook Univeristy.
I was thinking on my way back to pass by Bethpage to check out Felix 101. I saw Fred's HDR of Felix and it looks like a great photo op.
Just a quick question, since I plan on getting there at night is there any problems with the guards? Lol Are they ok with people passing by at night time for photos?
Also does the place close at any time or is it open for people to come and go as they please?
Hmm I gotta go pickup a good tripod now....
Thanks!

wunaladreamin
2008-11-28, 11:12 PM
Pat, I stopped by there last Sunday. I pulled right up to the security booth, which is in front of Felix, and asked the guard if it was cool if I took a couple shots of the bird. He was pretty friendly and only told me not to touch it lol. My advice is just to identify yourself to the guards as a photog first to disarm an suspicion they may have. But I can say, they seem like a pretty decent bunch.

Derf
2008-11-29, 04:15 AM
I would not go at night unless you see this
http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/316889004_aJqMG-S-1.jpg

I went there the other day for a dramatic sky HDR and the Guard was NOT HAPPY that I just
walked up to him.... I told him who I was and what I was going to do and he said to go back
out to the sidewalk. I explained to him that I never have a problem and gave him my busness card
http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/340457283_LC7Tv-S.jpg

and was still refused..... Ask but be prepaired to hit the sidewalk shot if this guard was
there! lol

wunaladreamin
2008-11-29, 08:21 AM
Wow, you must have had a different security guard Fred. The guy I spoke to had absolutely no problem at all. He even let me park the car in front of his booth lol.

nikon50bigma
2008-11-29, 10:12 AM
Kenny were you there at night?
Anyone else have some stories to share of passing by there?

Big Tim #70
2008-11-29, 11:45 AM
I went there a couple of months ago and the guard had me park in the lot right off the main enterance. He said that the first two parking spaces there were for Felix. I was then allowed to view and take pictures for as long as I wanted.

Fred, of all people I can't believe they gave you a hard time. You should have showed them your plaque!

Probably just some some guy on a power trip.

Derf
2008-11-29, 01:00 PM
I told him I was on the plaque in front of the Tomcat, but he did not seem to care.

wunaladreamin
2008-12-01, 09:04 AM
Pat, I swung by there at around 1430. Just an in and out kind of thing.