PDA

View Full Version : JetBlue Pilots File to Form Union

moose135
2008-11-13, 09:57 PM
JetBlue pilots file to organize airline's first union

BY JAMES BERNSTEIN
8:26 AM EST, November 13, 2008

Pilots at JetBlue Airways Corp. have filed a petition to establish an independent union, becoming the first group of employees at the Forest Hills-based discount carrier to organize.

JetBlue is the largest carrier in the nation without any organized labor groups.

In an announcement on its Web site Wednesday night, the JetBlue Pilots Association said it has filed papers with the National Mediation Board for the right to bargain for 2,000 workers.

Michael Sorbie, a JetBlue captain, said in a statement that the union would provide carrier protection for the airline's pilots. "We have complete faith in our current company leadership and believe that this will be a cooperative effort," Sorbie's statement said. "As our airline matures, we want to ensure that the career expectations of our pilots will remain intact regardless of organizational changes."
Full story at Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-bzunion1114,0,6873061.story)

eal401
2008-11-20, 12:05 PM
I always thought that the beginning of the end of JetBlue was when they purchased the Embraers (mixed fleet, new costs, etc).

Now with the rapid expansion, the February 2008 service melt down, high fuel costs, the loss of the founder and now unionization...i fear for the future of my favorite airline.

Matt Molnar
2008-11-20, 02:07 PM
I always thought that the beginning of the end of JetBlue was when they purchased the Embraers (mixed fleet, new costs, etc).

Now with the rapid expansion, the February 2008 service melt down, high fuel costs, the loss of the founder and now unionization...i fear for the future of my favorite airline.
I'd say they're still in a better position than most of their competitors thanks to their superior product. With the dreadful public image the legacies have built for themselves over the past year, jetBlue's meltdown is more or less forgotten (as long as it doesn't happen again). High fuel costs affect their competitors just as much as them. And unionization isn't great, but given the current climate, I don't think it can do too much damage...it's not like pilots can get a significantly better deal anywhere else at this point.

cancidas
2008-11-20, 03:42 PM
I'd say they're still in a better position than most of their competitors thanks to their superior product. With the dreadful public image the legacies have built for themselves over the past year, jetBlue's meltdown is more or less forgotten (as long as it doesn't happen again). High fuel costs affect their competitors just as much as them. And unionization isn't great, but given the current climate, I don't think it can do too much damage...it's not like pilots can get a significantly better deal anywhere else at this point.
i gotta agree. unionization in my opinion isn't necessary as long as both parties hold up thier end of the bargain (read contract) but if JBU pilos feel it's neccesary then it's up to them. i think that unions only complicate matter, and it is up to employess to keep managment in check and vice versa.

the mixed fleets probably have a lot more to do with this than anything else. like gotham said, fuel and a bad economy are affecting everyone and not just JBU. i know of a few pilots that have left other carriers and gone to JBU and part of the reason they went was the lack of a union environment. i can't comment on the culture among pilots, FAs and airport staff but if not everything is peachy this may become a trend.

Lezam
2008-11-20, 10:59 PM
I wonder if they would be forming a union if Neeleman was still there