PDA

View Full Version : Circuit City Closing 155 Stores !

LGA777
2008-11-03, 11:39 PM
Circuit City is closing 155 stores including several on Long Island, one in Manhattan, and one not to far from me in the Bronx that was weeks from opening. They are completely exiting markets including Atlanta, Phoenix, and Kansas City.

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/topst ... tores.aspx (http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/topstocks/archive/2008/11/03/circuit-city-closing-20-of-stores.aspx)

Best of luck to effected employees, right in time for the holidays.

Regards

LGA777

moose135
2008-11-04, 12:52 AM
Best of luck to effected employees, right in time for the holidays.
At my former employer, we referred to this as the "Home for the Holidays" Program :shock:

As Ron says, best of luck to those effected by this.

T-Bird76
2008-11-04, 11:01 AM
Circuit has been struggling for years now. When they exited the appliance market and laid off their commissioned sales force they just nosed dived because of poor execution of their new plan. If I understand it correctly they have already begun "Store Closing Sales." For the most part they are exiting the Long Island market with the exception of Westbury. It’s also worth noting that Sony has stopped shipping to Circuit as their credit lines are in question. Look to see them file for Chap 11 either in mid Dec or Jan.

Delta777LR
2008-11-04, 03:16 PM
Time to check out for sales!! Its a shame to see Circuit City go in the Bronx at least. They have been open for a few months.. Ive visited there a couple of times..

Matt Molnar
2008-11-04, 03:56 PM
I wouldn't expect to see any great bargains on anything good, unfortunately. The closing stores have been handed over to a liquidation company...these companies will often RAISE the price of an item, and then discount it to the regular price and tell you it's a bargain. This is exactly what CompUSA did. If you go into one of these CC's and see something you think might be a good deal, before you buy it, write down the model number, go home and research the price on some online retailers to find out if you're really getting a good deal. Also keep in mind that all these sales are final, so if you buy something expensive that might break, you won't be able to bring it back, you'll have to deal with the manufacturer.

Delta777LR
2008-11-05, 09:17 AM
(updated) The stores close in 6 weeks..

NIKV69
2008-11-05, 12:49 PM
Not a surprise, with Best Buy and PC Richards they had little chance at least on LI. The circuit city near me went downhill fast and I hated even going in there. I think Tommy's timetable is what you will see.