PDA

View Full Version : Obama defeat fears put Hollywood on edge

Midnight Mike
2008-11-03, 10:23 AM
The further Barack Obama edges ahead of John McCain in the million and one polls that are coming out the more pernicious the nagging fear becomes.

What if he loses?

Barely a left-wing pundit, barely an Oscar-nominated softie can sleep a wink these days for fear of the race riots and international humiliation that will ensue should "The One" be defeated on Tuesday.

They think he's going to win, of course, but their hearts still bear the scars of 2000 and 2004.

The comedian Chris Rock is at least capable of joking about it. "If Obama loses?" he replied to a question from talk show host Bill Maher. "Well, that Wednesday after election day, anybody … any activity in your life that involves black people, it's not going to get done. If you're at the airport? No one's going to get your bags."

"If Obama loses it will spark the second American Civil War. Blood will run in the streets, believe me," she told the Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera last week. "My back is also suffering from spasms, so much so that I had to see an acupuncturist and get prescriptions for Valium.

Actress Susan Sarandon has already issued a veiled threat to the public.

"It's a critical time, but I have faith in the American people," she told Britain's Telegraph newspaper with a touch of implied menace in June this year. "If they prove me wrong, I'll be checking out a move to Italy. Maybe Canada, I don't know. We're at an abyss …"

The actor Alec Baldwin and Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder made similar threats in 2000, as did Robert Redford in 2004, but none has since enriched the Canadian cultural scene.

In fact, Canadian immigration records show that arrivals from the United States actually slowed in the six months after George Bush's re-election in 2004.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/us-election/ ... 45086.html (http://www.smh.com.au/news/us-election/hollywood-on-edge-says-annabel-crabb/2008/11/02/1225560645086.html)

PhilDernerJr
2008-11-03, 02:02 PM
Hollywood promised to leave if the Dems lost before previous elections and nothing happened, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

My God it would be great to get rid of Susan Sarandon.

Matt Molnar
2008-11-03, 03:24 PM
As soon as Zabar's opens a store in Toronto, they're outta here.

NIKV69
2008-11-03, 05:09 PM
My God it would be great to get rid of Susan Sarandon.

Oh man I would let her cling to my back as I swam the Atlantic to get her to France where she belongs.