PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Atlantic sacks 13 staff after Facebook criticism

Matt Molnar
2008-11-01, 07:31 PM
Physorg.com:

Virgin Atlantic sacks 13 staff after Facebook criticism (http://www.physorg.com/news144732148.html)

Virgin Atlantic said Friday it has sacked 13 of its cabin staff after they criticised the airline and some of its passengers on social networking website Facebook.

The airline, controlled by Richard Branson's Virgin group, said the staff's behaviour was "totally inappropriate" and "brought the company into disrepute".

The action follows an investigation into the remarks posted on Facebook, which concerned planes flying from London's Gatwick airport and insulted passengers, as well as reportedly saying the planes were full of cockroaches. [Full Article (http://www.physorg.com/news144732148.html)]

Tom_Turner
2008-11-01, 07:53 PM
"Full of Cockroaches" Thats Disgusting!

T

Jetinder
2008-11-02, 04:50 AM
People shouldn't put stuff like that on the internet about their bosses or private lives (if they don't want "every one to see"), as these days its common knowledge that a lot of employers "unofficialy" go to places like facebook etc to find stuff on staff and potential employees.

I don't know how Virgin managed to find the names of the real people behind it all, but to sack / fire 13 staff gives a warning to every one in work ------ if you bad mouth you're employer you will be found out and you will be delt with.

If people are not prepared to handle the outcome they should not put those comments on the internet.

cancidas
2008-11-02, 10:29 AM
I don't know how Virgin managed to find the names of the real people behind it all, but to sack / fire 13 staff gives a warning to every one in work ------ if you bad mouth you're employer you will be found out and you will be delt with.

"Virgin Atlantic can confirm that 13 members of its cabin crew will be leaving the company after breaking staff policies due to totally inappropriate behaviour," the airline said in a statement.

It said cabin staff who held such views could not uphold the expected standard of customer service.
i think you're taking it a bit far. from the article it sounds like those folk not only bad-mouthed the company but broke the rules they agreed to work by.

Jetinder
2008-11-02, 03:27 PM
i think you're taking it a bit far. from the article it sounds like those folk not only bad-mouthed the company but broke the rules they agreed to work by.

Here in the UK as long as you work for a firm you agree not to bad mouth it in any way, its also a well known fact that employers do look at forums and places like Facebook....... its not nice but here it is a sad fact of life.....

From what i understand those 14 broke the rules by bad mouthing the company and as far as Virgin where concerned it didnt matter if they where off duty or not, they slagged their bosses off publically so their bosses fired them.

Its all about a company's reputation and public image.

Jetinder
2008-11-02, 09:10 PM
A few BA staff could also get fired for the stuff below
:-
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/3366187/British-Airways-staff-attack-passengers-on-Facebook.html