PDA

View Full Version : Concorde G-BOAD Back at Intrepid With New Nose!

Matt Molnar
2008-10-16, 07:15 PM
I guess we missed it...oops.

Pics here: http://gothamist.com/2008/10/16/concorde_1.php

flyboy 28
2008-10-17, 12:28 AM
Wow. Surprised to see that flew under the radar. Glad to see she's repaired!

Jetinder
2008-10-17, 05:44 AM
She looks "brand new" and as good as the day i flew on her in Oct 2003....... pity she will never fly as i'd love to see my old girl taking off on full afterburners.

I bet people who wanted to keep her move a secret are laughing that they succeeded......but i don't care as it wasn't all secret as some one from the public did manage to catch her.

She looks very beautifull and earie floating in the fog.

Speedbird1
2008-10-17, 09:58 AM
Why did they want to keep the move a secret? Wouldn't the move be good publicity for the Intrepid Museum ?(since the nose was fixed). She's not yet back at Intrepid. She's somewhere in Jersey City waiting for high tide on Monday. This voyage was kept secret from us plane spotters so how did all the newspapers get photos of her barge voyage? Somebody tipped-off the media. I surely didn't know or I would have run with my camera. I also was unaware that on the same day, it was the final visit ever of the QE 2. I missed it all.

mirrodie
2008-10-17, 11:06 AM
She looks "brand new" and as good as the day i flew on her in Oct 2003........

I have to say , that a was a great night, Jet.

For those that don't know, Jetinder's first and last flight on Concorde was the Tuesday evenig prior to the final flight in NY. I was picking up him and Gary up that night from the city and we painted NYC red that night.

Not sure what runway she landed on, but that night, Jetinder and Concorde flew right over my office in Lindenhurst, just a mile south of FRG. A few hours later, we were hanging out in Manhattan.

I'm glad to see ADs nose was taken care of quickly! And nice job keeping it all enshrouded in secrecy!

Jetinder
2008-10-17, 12:04 PM
Hi Mario (Mirrodie) :)

Great to hear from you my friend :)

You're right it was a fantastic night and some thing which i will always treasure :), i loved every second of it :) I loved meeting you and seeing NYC :), I loved NYC :)

I have extremely happy memories of the time :) :)

I'll need to check my Concorde trip report (which I'm now converting in to a website) to see which runway i landed on.

It seems strange that this year the day names and date numbers match Oct 2003 and exactly 5 years ago Concorde was flying but 5 years on she's not flying :( that is a strange feeling.

In the UK its now 16.58pm, this time 5 years ago i was on my way to Heathrow to take photos of the 17.30 Concorde land from New York, a few hours later me and jez stood outside Heathrow runway 09L to watch the 7pm Concorde leave for New York.

When i got home I was also preparing for my Concorde flight and was really really looking forward to it :) :)

Tomorrow 5 years ago i was back at Heathrow to see Concorde land and take off :)

Very very Happy days :)

Matt Molnar
2008-10-17, 12:23 PM
I think we have a new record for smilies in one post. :)

gordo
2008-10-17, 03:52 PM
She not due at Intrepid till Monday, the move away from aviator was apparently to meet a high tide, but it could well have been an attempt the ensure Aviator get zero PR and maximum PR from the arrival back at Intrepid

PhilDernerJr
2008-10-17, 05:23 PM
That's a pretty good guess, gordo.

Jetinder
2008-10-19, 06:07 AM
Not sure what runway she landed on
Hi Mario

I just listened to ATC of my flight, we landed on runway 22R

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=fi ... 5&t=h&z=14 (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=40.635646,-73.771133&spn=0.032762,0.055275&t=h&z=14)

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1 (http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTSN&cp=40.63239~-73.772022&style=h&lvl=15&tilt=-44.2137511598122&dir=0&alt=2826.76430321299&cam=40.605944~-73.772022&scene=-1&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1)

Speedbird1
2008-10-22, 08:57 AM
We were all fooled. The moving of the Concorde from Floyd Bennett Field to the new Intrepid Pier was clearly posted on the Intrepid website. I also missed reading it. Sadly, I missed its move on Thursday morning, Oct 16. I met a guy you says he witnessed it at random as he was leaving for work and was passing by Floyd Bennett Field. He says he was able to stand under the Concorde while it was being lifted there. He says he took photos.

Jetinder
2008-10-22, 10:58 AM
Well as Homer Simpson says..................doh

Jetinder
2008-10-23, 05:11 AM
We were all fooled. The moving of the Concorde from Floyd Bennett Field to the new Intrepid Pier was clearly posted on the Intrepid website. I also missed reading it. Sadly, I missed its move on Thursday morning, Oct 16.
Ok we may have missed this one but the fact people of this forum in New York including G-BOAD, Phil etc found Concorde in a very bad state and alerted the world shows we did a huge amount to save her.

With out you guys in New York G-BOAD would have still been unloved and uncared for but thanks to all of you I hope G-BOAD will be better looked after so well done to you all for a brilliant job :)

I met a guy you says he witnessed it at random as he was leaving for work and was passing by Floyd Bennett Field. He says he was able to stand under the Concorde while it was being lifted there. He says he took photos.
Can you ask him to post those photos on here ?

AirtrafficController
2008-10-24, 04:23 PM
Does anyone know if you are able to get a tour of the interior of the Concorde including the flightdeck?