PDA

View Full Version : Presidential debate, October 15

Midnight Mike
2008-10-15, 08:31 AM
Presidential debate, October 15
Hofstra University is pleased to be the site of the October 15, 2008 presidential debate, produced by the Commission on Presidential Debates.

http://www.hofstra.edu/debate/

Wednesday, October 15, 2008, 9 p.m.
moderated by Bob Schieffer, CBS News
This debate will focus on domestic and economic policy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/MidnightMike/Politics/capta7db9d95379f42edabecc00356d3dcf.jpg

Midnight Mike
2008-10-15, 08:31 AM
Presidential debate, October 15
Hofstra University is pleased to be the site of the October 15, 2008 presidential debate, produced by the Commission on Presidential Debates.

http://www.hofstra.edu/debate/

Wednesday, October 15, 2008, 9 p.m.
moderated by Bob Schieffer, CBS News
This debate will focus on domestic and economic policy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/MidnightMike/Politics/capta7db9d95379f42edabecc00356d3dcf.jpg

mirrodie
2008-10-15, 02:51 PM
Can't wait to see it.

Tom, want to set the rules of the drinking game?

mirrodie
2008-10-15, 02:51 PM
Can't wait to see it.

T-Bird76
2008-10-15, 03:07 PM
Can't wait to see it.

I was thinking about that but since the last two debates blew monkey a$$ I think I'm just going to get loaded before the debate even begins... I'll challenge myself not to pass out before it ends.

T-Bird76
2008-10-15, 03:07 PM
Can't wait to see it.

I was thinking about that but since the last two debates blew monkey a$$ I think I'm just going to get loaded before the debate even begins... I'll challenge myself not to pass out before it ends.

Matt Molnar
2008-10-15, 03:21 PM
Forecast calls for 90% chance of boring in Hempstead tonight.

Matt Molnar
2008-10-15, 03:21 PM
Forecast calls for 90% chance of boring in Hempstead tonight.

Matt Molnar
2008-10-15, 03:26 PM
I was thinking about that but since the last two debates blew monkey a$$ I think I'm just going to get loaded before the debate even begins...
My plan involves getting loaded before the debate begins...and staying out until after the debate is over.

Matt Molnar
2008-10-15, 03:26 PM
I was thinking about that but since the last two debates blew monkey a$$ I think I'm just going to get loaded before the debate even begins...
My plan involves getting loaded before the debate begins...and staying out until after the debate is over.

moose135
2008-10-15, 03:58 PM
You best bet may be to stay that way until November 4. :D

moose135
2008-10-15, 03:58 PM

mirrodie
2008-10-15, 04:21 PM

or for the new 4 to 8 years

mirrodie
2008-10-15, 04:21 PM

or for the new 4 to 8 years

MarkLawrence
2008-10-15, 10:46 PM
That was a tricky one on who won the debate - I don't think there was a winner in this one - I think there were discussions on far reaching subjects. But - in my mind - McCain made one stupid mistake - TWICE - know your Vice-Presidential candidate - Governor Palin's son does not has Autism - he is a Down Syndrome baby - and - while Obama said that he felt Joe Biden would be a credit should something happen to him - McCain never said the same about Palin - that is the critical issue in a lot of people's mind - should something happen to the President - do we feel comfortable about the VP taking over - in my mind the majority say they are comfortable about Biden - Palin WHO??

MarkLawrence
2008-10-15, 10:46 PM
That was a tricky one on who won the debate - I don't think there was a winner in this one - I think there were discussions on far reaching subjects. But - in my mind - McCain made one stupid mistake - TWICE - know your Vice-Presidential candidate - Governor Palin's son does not has Autism - he is a Down Syndrome baby - and - while Obama said that he felt Joe Biden would be a credit should something happen to him - McCain never said the same about Palin - that is the critical issue in a lot of people's mind - should something happen to the President - do we feel comfortable about the VP taking over - in my mind the majority say they are comfortable about Biden - Palin WHO??

PhilDernerJr
2008-10-15, 11:26 PM
I think that when it comes to debating itself, I think McCain was manhandled. In terms of presentation, McCain's mannerisms make him unappealing, and almost condescending unfortunately, even though he makes some excellent points.

I've not made my final voting decision, however.

PhilDernerJr
2008-10-15, 11:26 PM
I think that when it comes to debating itself, I think McCain was manhandled. In terms of presentation, McCain's mannerisms make him unappealing, and almost condescending unfortunately, even though he makes some excellent points.

I've not made my final voting decision, however.

T-Bird76
2008-10-16, 08:57 AM
I had the debate on in the background while I was BSing on the PC and it’s interesting to not "watch" their expressions but rather simply listen too them. That being the case there is no way I will vote for McCain. Not once did he tell the people what his plans are. All he said was basically "I'm trade and true." Big flipping deal. His little feel bad for me rant didn't convince me at all. Get over what someone said about you and move on. IMO he looked very weak and needy at that point in the debate.

Obama on the other hand at most times was very direct and outlined his plans for the country. I still haven't heard what McCain's plans are.

T-Bird76
2008-10-16, 08:57 AM
I had the debate on in the background while I was BSing on the PC and it’s interesting to not "watch" their expressions but rather simply listen too them. That being the case there is no way I will vote for McCain. Not once did he tell the people what his plans are. All he said was basically "I'm trade and true." Big flipping deal. His little feel bad for me rant didn't convince me at all. Get over what someone said about you and move on. IMO he looked very weak and needy at that point in the debate.

Obama on the other hand at most times was very direct and outlined his plans for the country. I still haven't heard what McCain's plans are.

mirrodie
2008-10-16, 10:48 AM
Although it was a draw, Obama I felt did a bit better.

McCain portrayed himself impulsive and hypocritical.

What blew my mind is his asking Obama for apologies for things said at the rally. But when Obama mentioned the same at McCain rallies of "Kill him," he scooted around that. THEN, McCain had the moxie (while clearly pissed off) to say something to the effect of " I won't stand for someone saying that people who come to my rallies...." blah, blah, essentially chastising Obama for bringing it up.

So let me get this straight, McCain. You can defend your ralliers, even those that say kill him, but Obama can't question it? Bugger off!

The expressions of McCain were hysterical. He execised his masseter muscle through the evening, looking like a constipated chipmunk. I feel bad for the guy. He was an honorable guy until he almost lost it in the primaries. Since then, its been a downward spiral.

Did he serve the coutry? Yes.
Is he a POW with probable PTSD. Yes. And perhaps that explains his behavior.
Can he exhibit clear, rational, non impulsive behavior that will guide his actions? No.

Anyone else love McCains reaction to "Joe, your healthcare fine would be "ZERO"?

mirrodie
2008-10-16, 10:48 AM
Although it was a draw, Obama I felt did a bit better.

McCain portrayed himself impulsive and hypocritical.

What blew my mind is his asking Obama for apologies for things said at the rally. But when Obama mentioned the same at McCain rallies of "Kill him," he scooted around that. THEN, McCain had the moxie (while clearly pissed off) to say something to the effect of " I won't stand for someone saying that people who come to my rallies...." blah, blah, essentially chastising Obama for bringing it up.

So let me get this straight, McCain. You can defend your ralliers, even those that say kill him, but Obama can't question it? Bugger off!

The expressions of McCain were hysterical. He execised his masseter muscle through the evening, looking like a constipated chipmunk. I feel bad for the guy. He was an honorable guy until he almost lost it in the primaries. Since then, its been a downward spiral.

Did he serve the coutry? Yes.
Is he a POW with probable PTSD. Yes. And perhaps that explains his behavior.
Can he exhibit clear, rational, non impulsive behavior that will guide his actions? No.

Anyone else love McCains reaction to "Joe, your healthcare fine would be "ZERO"?

MarkLawrence
2008-10-16, 11:03 AM
Oh - I loved that expression - there was also the "rolling of the eyes" - the "I'm pissed off" look - I generally think - and both my wife and I said it last night - he is an angry old man - that really can't stop bashing his opponent.

MarkLawrence
2008-10-16, 11:03 AM
Oh - I loved that expression - there was also the "rolling of the eyes" - the "I'm pissed off" look - I generally think - and both my wife and I said it last night - he is an angry old man - that really can't stop bashing his opponent.

moose135
2008-10-16, 11:23 AM
Like Tommy, I was on the computer, listening to the debate with the TV on. When I did look up at the screen, I was appalled at the looks on McCain's face. Seeing some of those looks, I wouldn't have been surprised if he collapsed right there on the stage.

I have all the respect in the world for him for what he suffered as a POW, but that doesn't mean I trust him to run the country. As noted above, he still hasn't clearly articulated how he is going to deal with many of the problems facing our nation. Mark, I think your "angry old man" line is appropriate - he feels with all he has gone through, he has earned the right to be President, and can't believe he is losing what he considers "his turn" at the office.

moose135
2008-10-16, 11:23 AM
Like Tommy, I was on the computer, listening to the debate with the TV on. When I did look up at the screen, I was appalled at the looks on McCain's face. Seeing some of those looks, I wouldn't have been surprised if he collapsed right there on the stage.

I have all the respect in the world for him for what he suffered as a POW, but that doesn't mean I trust him to run the country. As noted above, he still hasn't clearly articulated how he is going to deal with many of the problems facing our nation. Mark, I think your "angry old man" line is appropriate - he feels with all he has gone through, he has earned the right to be President, and can't believe he is losing what he considers "his turn" at the office.

mirrodie
2008-10-16, 11:32 AM
I have all the respect in the world for him for what he suffered as a POW,

Exactly my point. I love working with the Veterans at hte VA. I love em and respect them.

My mentor is also a doctor and a Vietnam Vet. Incidentally, it was his email to "Face the Nation" that sparked national debate about McCain's War history 2-3 months ago. And while we both respect our Vets, I cannot trust this guy's judgement.

And another thing.... if Obama wants to meet with opposing world leaders without precondition, THEN LET HIM. It takes balls to do that. I cannot understand WHY Bush and McCain will not meet with such leaders. It is their job to do so.

mirrodie
2008-10-16, 11:32 AM
I have all the respect in the world for him for what he suffered as a POW,

Exactly my point. I love working with the Veterans at hte VA. I love em and respect them.

My mentor is also a doctor and a Vietnam Vet. Incidentally, it was his email to "Face the Nation" that sparked national debate about McCain's War history 2-3 months ago. And while we both respect our Vets, I cannot trust this guy's judgement.

And another thing.... if Obama wants to meet with opposing world leaders without precondition, THEN LET HIM. It takes balls to do that. I cannot understand WHY Bush and McCain will not meet with such leaders. It is their job to do so.

T-Bird76
2008-10-16, 11:40 AM

Because they want "preconditions." What those are who knows...like McCain’s plans he gives little detail to what preconditions would need to be put on the table before he sat down with these people.

I have to agree with Moose that McCain seems to have this attitude that he deserves to be in the Whitehouse. While I respect his service to the country and his ordeal as a POW, it has nothing to do with the election.

I've been thinking allot about how people call Obama radical and that his ideas are simply too far to the left to work. We need to look back to the founding fathers. All their ideas were radical and by any definition they were terrorists with some of their tactics against the British. Change is often very hard to deal with and radical change can be scary but we need a total 180 from where we are headed.

T-Bird76
2008-10-16, 11:40 AM

Because they want "preconditions." What those are who knows...like McCain’s plans he gives little detail to what preconditions would need to be put on the table before he sat down with these people.

I have to agree with Moose that McCain seems to have this attitude that he deserves to be in the Whitehouse. While I respect his service to the country and his ordeal as a POW, it has nothing to do with the election.

I've been thinking allot about how people call Obama radical and that his ideas are simply too far to the left to work. We need to look back to the founding fathers. All their ideas were radical and by any definition they were terrorists with some of their tactics against the British. Change is often very hard to deal with and radical change can be scary but we need a total 180 from where we are headed.

Matt Molnar
2008-10-16, 01:44 PM
Oh no he's a zombie!@#!@#!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2354/2947179816_aec701f2b3_o.jpg

Matt Molnar
2008-10-16, 01:44 PM
Oh no he's a zombie!@#!@#!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2354/2947179816_aec701f2b3_o.jpg

mirrodie
2008-10-16, 02:22 PM
A gay Barack booty grabbing zombie.

Ok, all joking aside, this is the jerkyl and hyde with McCain that bothers me. What was that whole rushing out and the kooky faces there? Was that an attempt to be cool?

mirrodie
2008-10-16, 02:22 PM
A gay Barack booty grabbing zombie.

Ok, all joking aside, this is the jerkyl and hyde with McCain that bothers me. What was that whole rushing out and the kooky faces there? Was that an attempt to be cool?

PhilDernerJr
2008-10-16, 02:38 PM
http://data.tumblr.com/X9ZMT4AQwf4aa9kdb2L6JZ5Ho1_500.gif

PhilDernerJr
2008-10-16, 02:38 PM
http://data.tumblr.com/X9ZMT4AQwf4aa9kdb2L6JZ5Ho1_500.gif

mirrodie
2008-10-16, 03:01 PM
I sense a McCain compilation similar to this coming up.

http://www.danzfamily.com/archives/blogphotos/07/hillary-clinton-faces-vertical.jpg

mirrodie
2008-10-16, 03:01 PM
I sense a McCain compilation similar to this coming up.

http://www.danzfamily.com/archives/blogphotos/07/hillary-clinton-faces-vertical.jpg

MarkLawrence
2008-10-16, 03:06 PM
BTW...Joe the Plumber is an unlicensed plumber !!!! He could not have the company if he could buy it. You have to have a plumbing license…

MarkLawrence
2008-10-16, 03:06 PM
BTW...Joe the Plumber is an unlicensed plumber !!!! He could not have the company if he could buy it. You have to have a plumbing license…

Tom_Turner
2008-10-16, 03:08 PM

It seems to have come down to an hysterical bit about how "we cannot lend our 'prestige' to these" adversaries and that somehow meeting with them (even once) will "legitimize" our enemies.

Like Obama has said, he wasn't planning to have them over for tea. Worse case scenario would be an aborted unfriendly/hostile 10 minute rhetorical showdown. And, even that might not be a bad thing in the end. Why not exhaust all the options to try to get the best possible outcome?

Tom_Turner

It seems to have come down to an hysterical bit about how "we cannot lend our 'prestige' to these" adversaries and that somehow meeting with them (even once) will "legitimize" our enemies.

Like Obama has said, he wasn't planning to have them over for tea. Worse case scenario would be an aborted unfriendly/hostile 10 minute rhetorical showdown. And, even that might not be a bad thing in the end. Why not exhaust all the options to try to get the best possible outcome?

Matt Molnar
I think we all know who he's voting for...
http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/front/mario_luigi_08.jpg

Matt Molnar
I think we all know who he's voting for...
http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/front/mario_luigi_08.jpg