PDA

View Full Version : Cessna to soon add Bent Wings

cancidas
2008-10-12, 06:21 PM
from FlightGlobal:

New winglet manufacturer excels on Citation X
By John Croft
Winglet Technology says its Cessna Citation X elliptical winglets will be certificated by June 2009 after seven years of testing by Cessna.

The $395,000 retrofit kit, not including installation, will provide a 15kt (28km/h) speed increase at altitude, an additional 545kg (1,200lb) take-off performance at hot and high airports or an increase in range of up to 280km (150nm). Along with a reduced time to climb, the graphite epoxy winglets will generate a reduction in fuel consumption by 4-5% for long-range missions.

Fort Felker, vice-president of engineering for Winglet Technologies, says modifications will be carried out at Cessna service centres, where maintainers will reinforce the four outer bays of the wing to support the additional structure. Unlike Aviation Partners blended winglets, the elliptical design spans the full width of the wingtip and is curved at all points along the structure versus a straight winglet that is connected to the aft portion of the wing and blended into the wing using a radius.

The difference, says Felker, is lower loads on the aft spar of the wing and improved aerodynamic performance. Winglet Technology is also in the running to supply winglets for Beechcraft's Premier II, due for first deliveries in mid-2010.

The company is also developing methods to actively control winglets to decrease the need for structural reinforcements for winglet installations, thereby further increasing fuel economy and performance benefits.

http://www.skycontrol.net/UserFiles/Image/Industry_img/200810/200810-winglet-technology-cessna-citation-x.jpg

looks really good IMO, and i think the most attractive part is the 1200lb increase in takeoff performance.

cancidas
2008-10-12, 06:21 PM
from FlightGlobal:

New winglet manufacturer excels on Citation X
By John Croft
Winglet Technology says its Cessna Citation X elliptical winglets will be certificated by June 2009 after seven years of testing by Cessna.

The $395,000 retrofit kit, not including installation, will provide a 15kt (28km/h) speed increase at altitude, an additional 545kg (1,200lb) take-off performance at hot and high airports or an increase in range of up to 280km (150nm). Along with a reduced time to climb, the graphite epoxy winglets will generate a reduction in fuel consumption by 4-5% for long-range missions.

Fort Felker, vice-president of engineering for Winglet Technologies, says modifications will be carried out at Cessna service centres, where maintainers will reinforce the four outer bays of the wing to support the additional structure. Unlike Aviation Partners blended winglets, the elliptical design spans the full width of the wingtip and is curved at all points along the structure versus a straight winglet that is connected to the aft portion of the wing and blended into the wing using a radius.

The difference, says Felker, is lower loads on the aft spar of the wing and improved aerodynamic performance. Winglet Technology is also in the running to supply winglets for Beechcraft's Premier II, due for first deliveries in mid-2010.

The company is also developing methods to actively control winglets to decrease the need for structural reinforcements for winglet installations, thereby further increasing fuel economy and performance benefits.

http://www.skycontrol.net/UserFiles/Image/Industry_img/200810/200810-winglet-technology-cessna-citation-x.jpg

looks really good IMO, and i think the most attractive part is the 1200lb increase in takeoff performance.

jran225
2008-10-12, 11:08 PM
I won't lie - those are SEXY.

Greets,
-Omar S.

jran225
2008-10-12, 11:08 PM

Greets,
-Omar S.

MarkLawrence
2008-10-12, 11:35 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhh...I can't wait to catch one of those!!

MarkLawrence
2008-10-12, 11:35 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhh...I can't wait to catch one of those!!

moose135
2008-10-12, 11:40 PM
And I love the refueling probe on the front...oh wait... :D

moose135
2008-10-12, 11:40 PM
And I love the refueling probe on the front...oh wait... :D

flyboy 28
2008-10-13, 07:32 AM
I think I need to change my undies...

flyboy 28