PDA

View Full Version : A spotting quandary

T-Bird76
2008-10-11, 11:28 PM
So I find myself in a quandary about spotting lately. As I stated in my LAX thread I think Tim and I kicked back and talked more then we actually shot planes last Sunday. We always looked up as plane went past but would only raise our cameras to more interesting aircraft. It seems more and more as I go out spotting I'm taking far less pictures only concentrating on shots that my be more interesting then others and also interacting more on a social level, even when I'm in unique settings. So I'm grappling with the reasons to this conundrum?? I don't think I'm growing tired of aviation, I know that's not the case, I love photography, but I think I've moved to the point simply going out to spot and capturing every plane that fly's past is no longer appealing as it once was. Does anyone else feel this way and why?

T-Bird76
2008-10-11, 11:28 PM
So I find myself in a quandary about spotting lately. As I stated in my LAX thread I think Tim and I kicked back and talked more then we actually shot planes last Sunday. We always looked up as plane went past but would only raise our cameras to more interesting aircraft. It seems more and more as I go out spotting I'm taking far less pictures only concentrating on shots that my be more interesting then others and also interacting more on a social level, even when I'm in unique settings. So I'm grappling with the reasons to this conundrum?? I don't think I'm growing tired of aviation, I know that's not the case, I love photography, but I think I've moved to the point simply going out to spot and capturing every plane that fly's past is no longer appealing as it once was. Does anyone else feel this way and why?

threeholerglory
2008-10-12, 12:40 AM
I can certainly understand your position...I work at a small airport in the NY area and I would have to say almost 70% of all operations are 172s or the like, so there is very little diversity. Since I work so much, that is all I have to work with for pictures so it gets extremely monotonous. I found that taking a step back and going for more extreme or unique shots were far more rewarding, even if I didn't get them just right. Perhaps going for a new angle or shooting in different light can boost your desire again. Though it is nice to get out and meet the guys, going out and shooting in less than perfect conditions is also a great way to keep things fresh. Have a look through my flickr page and maybe it'll help you out a tad with illustrating what I mean.

www.flickr.com/photos/mikescuderi (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikescuderi)

warm regards,

Mike

threeholerglory
2008-10-12, 12:40 AM
I can certainly understand your position...I work at a small airport in the NY area and I would have to say almost 70% of all operations are 172s or the like, so there is very little diversity. Since I work so much, that is all I have to work with for pictures so it gets extremely monotonous. I found that taking a step back and going for more extreme or unique shots were far more rewarding, even if I didn't get them just right. Perhaps going for a new angle or shooting in different light can boost your desire again. Though it is nice to get out and meet the guys, going out and shooting in less than perfect conditions is also a great way to keep things fresh. Have a look through my flickr page and maybe it'll help you out a tad with illustrating what I mean.

www.flickr.com/photos/mikescuderi (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikescuderi)

warm regards,

Mike