PDA

View Full Version : S-92 On 22Left

Gerard
2008-09-14, 04:50 PM
It was a little after 10 this morning and I was in my bedroom with the shower running AND the TV on when I was still able to hear the sound of an
approaching helicopter. I knew from the sound of the engines that it was a big Sikorsky. Looked out to see a BIG blue/white Sikorsky pass overheard
around 2000 feet heading to the NW. Wish I had my binocs but they were downstairs. Grabbed my scanner and after a few minutes I heard helicopter
N92UT talking to JFK on 119.1 and they were heading into JFK on the 22 Left approach!! I was hoping someone was out at JFK spotting this morning
but checking a thread on the "Spotting" board looks like most decided to stay home. Weather sure did turn summery in the afternoon didnt it?

h2opunk1822
2008-09-14, 06:57 PM
We actually had them here at KFRG about 2 months ago.. give or take.. All i remember about them is the prob wash killed me and i have never seen a helo that big!.... georgous looking bird thou

Tom_Turner
2008-09-14, 07:19 PM
N92UT - United Technologies Corp. I believe this might be the same one that did a photo shoot around the Statue Liberty one day last year.

Here's an image..

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/109536.html

Not often to see a helicopter on one of the main airport approaches, but I remember some years ago watching a Coast Guard Dauphin from Planeview Park doing exactly that on approach to LGA.

Tom

Gerard
2008-09-15, 07:22 PM
Thanks guys.
Those stub wings for the wheels sure make it look big.

DHG750R
2008-09-17, 01:00 AM
On a day when the weather is IFR ( less than 3mi vis and 1000ft ceiling ) you will see and/or hear helis shooting the ILS to LGA and break off the approach for a S-VFR over to Manhattan.