PDA

View Full Version : Aerial Spraying Over My House

Gerard
2008-09-12, 09:54 AM
So Wed night I'm sitting upstairs watching TV when I hear a plane buzzing outside sounding pretty low. I glance out the window and just catch a glimpse of the
aircraft heading out to the NW. This was around 9PM. I grabbed my scanner and after some time I hear N32JD talking to LGA tower. Just what I thought it was
the Piper Aztec that was being used for aerial pesticide spraying here in Nassau County. They were working to the Queens-Nassau border and apparently using FRG
as their base of operations. The company Duflo Spray Chemical Inc is from upstate NY. At 10:15 I heard them again pass by so I went down to my backyard to get a
look. All of a sudden I hear, then see them coming right towards me. I ran back inside just as they zoomed over around 500 feet!!! I dont know if they were spraying
at that time but now I have an idea how the troops in WW2 felt being straffed by Nazi fighter planes!!! :lol: They were working LGA, JFK and FRG and flew pretty low while applying the chemicals. Earlier in the eve Chopper 12 was tagging along with them. Do they fly 2 man crews? Good thing the weather was clear as they do fly low and have to be careful of obstructions.
Does anyone remember the last time they sprayed in Nassau? That was October of 1999 and then they used 4 Hueys from AgCopters of Pennsylvania. Three Bell 205s
and one Bell 212. I was at FRG by what is now the Sheltair parking lot (MillionAir back then?) one of the days and watched as they got the "Go" to head out and the crews scrambled to their ships and began spooling up. Reminded me of the scene in "Apocalypse Now" when the Air Cav starts cranking up their birds to head out to the enemy village. The four copters headed out in 4 different diections and were trailed by "chopperazzi", Chopper 12 and Newscopter 7,who had been hovering by New Highway and the cemetary. All very exciting. They also flew very low and while I was heading home on Hempstead Tpke people were stopping their cars as the copters buzzed low overhead.
http://www.helispot.com/photo/0003349

http://www.helispot.com/photo/0003350

bluejuice
2008-09-12, 11:01 AM
In true aviation spirit, I ran from my house as I heard this AC passing very low over my house. I stand there and look up and watch it pass over at about 500 feet. Being that FRG is about 4 miles from my house I see all sorts of activity at all sorts of altitudes but man this was low. As it passes over I see him start to bank and return back over the house. Again I stand there and gaze at this AC. As he flies into the sunset I realize that this was the AC that was to do the spraying for Nassau County.and ive just been sprayed twice. ....Now ,as my hair falls out and my sense of smell disappears I casually walk back in the house and realize to what extremes we go thru to just watch planes. :lol: :lol:

T-Bird76
2008-09-12, 02:08 PM
West Nile is springing up all over the Island again. The problem with the spraying is its to late now to control anything. They need to spray in the spring when the Mosquitoes are in the larva stage.