PDA

View Full Version : El Al Engines

kc2aqg
2008-09-10, 12:00 PM
It is likely that I'll be travelling to Israel later this year and will most likely be flying from EWR on either CO or El Al. I know CO 777's are powered by the GE90, but looking at pictures, I can't figure out if El Al 777's are powered by the RR Trent or the PW 4090. I know El AL uses the PW4000 on their 747's and 763's and other versions of the Pratt JT9D on their 762's and 747 classics, but I can't seem to figure this out. I also know they had RR's on their 757's (and GE's on their 738's by default) so that rules out them being an exclusively Pratt shop. Does anyone know which engines they have on their triples?

Oh yeah, is it odd that I don't even know if I'm going yet and I'm planning which videos I want to take of which airplanes/engines? :evil:

Delta777LR
2008-09-10, 12:05 PM
El Al's 777s engines are powered by RR Trents

Mateo
2008-09-11, 07:39 PM
Having flown both (although LY only on the 744), I can tell you neither of them are really great shakes cabin-wise, but if you want the full experience (for better and worse), it's El Al all the way.

mirrodie
2008-09-11, 09:42 PM
.....Careful videotaping on an Israeli jet :shock:

kc2aqg
2008-09-11, 10:25 PM
Hmm, didn't think of that Mario. Do you think that would be an issue?

Adam, you've been to Israel on LY. Can you chime in on this?

Lezam
2008-09-13, 09:14 PM
Having flown both (although LY only on the 744), I can tell you neither of them are really great shakes cabin-wise, but if you want the full experience (for better and worse), it's El Al all the way.

I find that COA is a much better flight than LY. The overall experience is way better, and I would definitely recommend it over LY. Although I agree, if you are looking for "the experience" fly LY. If you want american comfort, COA is the way to go.

Ive flown to TLV about 5-6 times over the past year and have only flown on LY 2x. The only reason is, because its a real pain to go all the way out to EWR for a flight.

If you do decide to go LY, I recommend that you take the 777 over the 747. The comfort on the 777 surpasses the 747 by a landslide. You might be lucky enough to catch one of their new 777 a/c, which features an AVOD system.

I doubt videotaping will be an issue on either carriers.

The prices are outrageous this year, I paid over $1,300 on COA. Prices went up $250 since I booked, in june. Ill be there in december, when are you planning to go?