PDA

View Full Version : Fatal USCG Helicopter Crash In Hawaii

Gerard
2008-09-05, 07:08 PM
http://www/starbulletin.com/2008/09/05/ ... ory01.html (http://www/starbulletin.com/2008/09/05/news/story01.html)

USAF Pilot 07
2008-09-05, 07:24 PM
Oh wow, that is terrible...

I was hoisted up by a Dolphin out of Atlantic City for a water survival refresher course a few months ago... I was so surprised at how well the pilots maintain control of the aircraft for such situations. When I did it, it was very calm. I can't imagine how they control that aircraft during stormy or turbulent situations....

Nick
2008-09-05, 09:13 PM
They stop by Gabreski routinely, parked one for fuel this summer. Not a very big bird up close. The Rescue community has lost 3 great warriors. RIP.

Gerard
2008-09-06, 11:07 AM
Back on August 31, 1993 an HH-65 Dauphin from Air Station Brooklyn was about to land on the helipad at the Ambrose Light Tower shuttling two NOAA workers to the facility when something went tragically wrong and the copter flipped off the pad and into the water. The crew chief and the two NOAA workers were able to get out of the copter but both pilots were trapped inside. Rescuers were able to extricate the men and they were medevaced to the Jersey Shore Medical Center but sadly both passed away.

Gerard
2008-09-10, 10:10 PM
Some preliminary reports on the crash point to a problem with the rescue hoist. Reportedly the ship was conducting hoist operations with a litter
when the cable snapped. The crew member operating the hoist wasnt able to hit the button to shear the cable quick enough and the cable rebounded up and wrapped itself around the main rotor bringing the ship down.

cancidas
2008-09-10, 11:06 PM
Some preliminary reports on the crash point to a problem with the rescue hoist. Reportedly the ship was conducting hoist operations with a litter
when the cable snapped. The crew member operating the hoist wasnt able to hit the button to shear the cable quick enough and the cable rebounded up and wrapped itself around the main rotor bringing the ship down.
throwing things into the big spinny-thing on top of a helo is never good. i've had nightmares about getting rotors caught in cables before. came close once in real live, i literally felt my a%$ jump into my throat and was sweating buckets for a few hours afterwards. RIP to those that lost thier lives.