PDA

View Full Version : Alitalia Files For Bankruptcy

moose135
2008-08-29, 08:10 PM
Alitalia Requests Bankruptcy Protection
By Gordon Sorlini

MILAN -- Alitalia SpA on Friday said it requested protection from bankruptcy, part of the Italian government's last-ditch effort to save the unprofitable carrier from collapse.

Alitalia also said that it filed a request with a Rome court for insolvency. The request is a necessary step in a rescue plan developed by Italian bank Intesa Sanpaolo SpA, charged by the government to act as Alitalia's adviser. The plan would split the carrier. Its potentially profitable assets will be sold ...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122002965630083825.html

LGA777
2008-08-29, 09:04 PM
Not to make fun of a serious subject but this is to perfect. The Italian airline industry has been running ok to at least so-so for decades, Tommy is in Italy for what a week and this happens. Should we be surprised. Seriously though I hope as much of Alitalia as we have known it survives, and Tommy does not take out any more Italian carriers before he returns from Holiday.

LGA777

Jetinder
2008-08-29, 10:31 PM
I hope the airline survives as over the years lots have gone inc sibena from belgium, Dan Air, British Caledonian to name a few.

Iberia A340-600
2008-08-29, 11:19 PM
Both Sabena and Swissair managed to reform under new brands like SN Brussels (Brussels Airline) and Swiss International, respectively. I'm curious if Alitalia folds a new airline could form out of their ashes using the same aircraft and operating the same route system.

T-Bird76
2008-09-03, 11:00 AM
Not to make fun of a serious subject but this is to perfect. The Italian airline industry has been running ok to at least so-so for decades, Tommy is in Italy for what a week and this happens. Should we be surprised. Seriously though I hope as much of Alitalia as we have known it survives, and Tommy does not take out any more Italian carriers before he returns from Holiday.

LGA777

LOLOL This was the very reason I didn't fly Alitalia, even though they are still flying I didn't watn to take the chance, so I flew AA, which was great. We did have to girls on our trip who flew Zoom....they got screwed really bad.