PDA

View Full Version : American Eagle Flights Delayed After TSA Inspection Error

moose135
2008-08-19, 09:54 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/ch ... 9325.story (http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/chi-tsa-20-aug20,0,6269325.story)

Federal aviation inspector goofs and delays 40 American Eagle flights at O'Hare
Transportation Security Administration official touched sensitive equipment, officials say

By Jon Hilkevitch | Chicago Tribune reporter
7:52 PM CDT, August 19, 2008

A blunder by a federal security officer inspecting aircraft forced American Eagle to delay 40 flights Tuesday at O'Hare International Airport while the planes were examined for possible damage, airline officials said. The Transportation Security Administration officer was conducting routine checks to make sure that planes parked at the airport overnight were secure from tampering, according to the federal security agency and American Airlines, which owns and operates American Eagle.

But while ensuring that aircraft doors were locked properly, the inspector either stepped onto or grabbed sensitive avionics probes mounted on the fuselage of nine American Eagle planes, officials said. "There is a sign that clearly says, 'Don't step,' " said American spokeswoman Mary Frances ***an. No damage was found on any aircraft, but the inspections took up to two hours for each plane, ***an said.

The grounding of that many planes caused 40 flights to be delayed for American Eagle, a commuter airline that operates many short flights around the Midwest. The security agency will retrain its inspectors to prevent a future occurrence, TSA spokesman Elio Montenegro said.

According to another story, the inspector used the TAT probe as a handhold to climb on the aircraft.

kc2aqg
2008-08-20, 09:41 AM
This is completely inexcusable. I don't argue with the concept of security checks, but at least adequately train the people who are doing them! I hope the TSA foots the bill for the damages and the lost revenue/cost of reaccomodating those pax.

Besides, if they're concerned about the ability to access a parked and closed-up aircraft, shouldn't they be checking the security over the entrances to the ramp area?!?

Two words...rampant incompetence...

Matt Molnar
2008-08-20, 11:04 AM
Vietnam: "We had to destroy the village to save it..."

War on Terror: "We had to damage the plane to protect it from Al Qaeda..."

Midnight Mike
2008-08-20, 11:40 AM
Wonder if the TSA agents receive basic ramp training, if not, this should be something that the airlines should push for....

As for things that happen on the ramp, even qualified ramp agents damage aircraft & those are people that work around airplanes daily & are trained.......

emshighway
2008-08-20, 03:30 PM
This would be the Transportation Security Inspectors (Aviation Security Inspectors when they were with the FAA) who were doing the checks on RON aircraft not the Officers who perform the screening duties.

Besides, if they're concerned about the ability to access a parked and closed-up aircraft, shouldn't they be checking the security over the entrances to the ramp area?!?

Regulations state RONs should be secured and stairs should be pulled away. Yes they also check the security of the entrances to the ramp area. It is all part of their inspection.

Rumor has it American Eagle got caught with some violations (which fines could range in the tens to hundreds of thousands) so to "get back" (deflect blame) they claimed the TSIs stepped on the avionics.

kc2aqg
2008-08-20, 03:43 PM
Well well, isn't that an interesting factoid...thanks for pointing that out EMS...

Midnight Mike
2008-08-20, 05:16 PM
]

Regulations state RONs should be secured and stairs should be pulled away. Yes they also check the security of the entrances to the ramp area. It is all part of their inspection.

Rumor has it American Eagle got caught with some violations (which fines could range in the tens to hundreds of thousands) so to "get back" (deflect blame) they claimed the TSIs stepped on the avionics.

Wow, if you come across something please post it.....

emshighway
2008-08-20, 08:00 PM
Always three sides to the story. It all depends on who calls the media on what story you hear.

Sometimes it is easier for the Public Information office to blow it off and say "we will make sure they get retraining" then to make it sound like a finger pointing. It depends of the PIO. They probably don't want to blow the case.

cancidas
2008-08-20, 11:59 PM
my question is why would the person, whomever they work for, even be anywhere near the TAT while "climbing aboard" the airplane. it's been a while since i've been up close with an embraer, but from what i remember the TAT is well forward of the door on an -145 and out of reach when boarding. it may even be blocked by the open door. the story sounds fishy to me...

emshighway
2008-08-21, 09:06 PM
my question is why would the person, whomever they work for, even be anywhere near the TAT while "climbing aboard" the airplane. it's been a while since i've been up close with an embraer, but from what i remember the TAT is well forward of the door on an -145 and out of reach when boarding. it may even be blocked by the open door. the story sounds fishy to me...

Exactly