PDA

View Full Version : 8/17/08 - Firestone

moose135
2008-08-17, 08:39 PM
We had a group of about 8 or 10 out at Firestone this afternoon, and after a quick trip over to Inwood Park to catch the White Whale, we returned to Firestone. Not more that 10 or 15 minutes later, one of Nassau's Finest pulled up. He said they had gotten a number of calls about us. He was well aware of the hobby (even asked if the A380 had come in yet) and had no problem with us being there. In fact, he said he had told headquarters that we weren't bothering anyone or causing any problems. He asked how long we were planning to stay, so that if he got any additional calls, he would know it was us. He wished us a good day and left.

About an hour later, the same officer pulled up again. He said they had received additional calls about us. He said he was stopping by because someone in the parking lot stopped him to report us, and he wanted to be seen "checking us out". He also joked that the last call they received was about "15 Middle Eastern men" with cameras - we both had a laugh over that one before he left. An hour or so later, a different NCPD officer pulled up, explaining he was just stopping by because they had gotten some calls. He also knew about our hobby, and asked if we had seen the "big plane" come in, as he hadn't seen it yet. I briefly explained the current A380 schedule and mentioned how Inwood Park was a better place to see it, and he would have to check out the park one day.

While it's a bit distressing to see so many people calling the police when they see our group out, I am glad to know not only that our friends in the 4th Precinct are checking these things out, but that they have come to understand and accept what we are doing out there. Some good encounters all around.

Gerard
2008-08-17, 09:25 PM
> He also joked that the last call they received was about "15 Middle Eastern men" with cameras <

Mmmmm I think that is a pretty good descripition of Moose and half the others on this board. :lol:
Nice the lies people make up to get the police to show up.

Tom_Turner
2008-08-17, 09:25 PM
It is disturbing to think how many other things these busy bodies might call in to waste the time of Nassau's finest.

While it was "understandable" some shut in or rabbit type personality might call in one or two of us in the field on a winter day as it could seem "suspicious" somehow, but I can't explain the mindset of someone calling in nearly a dozen mostly youthful clean cut folks pointing cameras at planes on a sunny weekend summer afternoon in the middle of a mall area.

I'd like to think these folks don't vote (or reproduce), but unfortunately they probably do.

Tom

moose135
2008-08-17, 09:32 PM
Mmmmm I think that is a pretty good description of Moose and half the others on this board. :lol:
When he said that I did joke "It must be my beard" :D

PhilDernerJr
2008-08-18, 12:23 AM
It is disturbing to think how many other things these busy bodies might call in to waste the time of Nassau's finest.

While it was "understandable" some shut in or rabbit type personality might call in one or two of us in the field on a winter day as it could seem "suspicious" somehow, but I can't explain the mindset of someone calling in nearly a dozen mostly youthful clean cut folks pointing cameras at planes on a sunny weekend summer afternoon in the middle of a mall area.

I'd like to think these folks don't vote (or reproduce), but unfortunately they probably do.

Tom

Well said, Tom.

T-Bird76
2008-08-18, 10:54 AM
I agree with you Tom...these people really need to "get a life." I think the entire "if you see something say something" slogan goes a bit too far. To go as far to say that 15 Middle Eastern looking men is truly disturbing. Honestly I'd think that boarder lines on a false 911 call or w/e its called. Anyone with a tiny bit of common sense can see no one in the group even remotely looks Arab.

Derf
2008-08-18, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the post Moose...Nice to see good police reports. Nice they are accepting us.

Matt Molnar
2008-08-18, 01:14 PM
Were there any terrorist fist bumps when A380 arrived? Any Obama '08 t-shirts? That might have raised some suspicions. :)

adam613
2008-09-04, 06:19 PM
We had a similar encounter with Nassau County's Finest on Monday at Firestone...a couple of police cars came and left without stopping over the course of the day. At 4:30 or so, one stopped and rolled down his window, so I went over to see what was up. First words out of his mouth were along the lines of "Anything good come in today?" We chatted a bit...he didn't even look at my ID, saying he'd seen me out there a bunch and knew I wasn't making trouble.

Quite the change from last winter...I like it better this way...

PhilDernerJr
2008-09-05, 12:27 AM
The "Anything good come today" line is one that I hear used a bit lately. In fact, it's a GREAT line to use in those situations. It shows the enthusiast that the officer knows about the hobby, and the answered received helps the officer determine if the person is a real enthusiast/threat or not.

Delta777LR
2008-09-06, 10:48 AM
The part when a call was being said about 15 middle eastern men with cameras... That was a bit of a goof. It sounded funny just hearing that coming from the officer.. But again the officers was cool with us, and Moose, it was smart to give out the cards too..

T-Bird76
2008-09-09, 01:53 PM
The best line from NCPD was last UN week just before the arrival of the Iran Air 747SP..I will not repeat it, but Moose knows what was said, LOLOL