PDA

View Full Version : New world speed record set during flight from New York to Lo

cancidas
2008-08-16, 09:55 AM
from FlightGlobal:

By Barbara Cockburn

Helicopter pilots from the USA have broken a world speed record from New York to London.

Their flight from New York to London covered 6,380km (3,449nm) nautical miles and took 40hrs, 41min. The record of the flight will be submitted to the National Aeronautical Association for ratification.

The Grand Adventure is an attempt to break an existing world speed record in a helicopter and pilots Sheik and Kasprowicz plan to complete the record in 14 days. The current record is 17 days.

http://www.flightglobal.com/assets/getAsset.aspx?ItemID=24699
The AgustaWestland Grand helicopter

“We are thrilled to have broken this record. It’s been an exhilarating and exhausting first few days,” said Kasprowicz after landing at Redhill, just south of London, early Saturday morning.

The AgustaWestland Grand helicopter has low fuel consumption and is equipped with Pratt & Whitney PW207 turbine engines.

See the video and chart their progress... http://www.grandadventure08.com/

T-Bird76
2008-08-16, 10:50 AM
Awhile back Phil made a statement about breaking some of these record where he didn't see the point, in general I find these endevours to be of interest but this one is just stupid and a waste of fuel.

Gerard
2008-08-16, 02:59 PM
Awhile back Phil made a statement about breaking some of these record where he didn't see the point, in general I find these endevours to be of interest but this one is just stupid and a waste of fuel.

Actually this was just one part of the Round The World Trip N1US is in now in the midst of. It is detailed in a previous thread i started and after some
difficulties in Russia I believe they are now in Canada and should if all goes well land at LGA next week some time.

Gerard
2008-08-17, 09:42 PM
>this one is just stupid and a waste of fuel.<

Fuel at $8.60 a gallon up in Alaska. Check out the entry from Aug 17 Lightning Fuel Stop With Captain Bob" Great pix and nice interview on the tarmac as
they refueled.