PDA

View Full Version : Visit to the Cradle of Aviation Museum

PhilDernerJr
2008-08-10, 02:46 PM
Yesterday I had the chance to visit the Cradle of Aviation museum in Uniondale for the first time. It was actually pretty nice!

The exhibits offered a very thorough history of aviation, including some GREAT space displays and pieces. I really enjoyed everything pertaining to the lunar landings.

There is a nice displayof airliner models in one section which was nice to see, although it was tempting to break the glass and take them! I had to be physically restrained.

There was a mock-cabin setup of an aircraft that was 2-by-2, with a TWA galley cart in the aisle. I took a seat and took a breather after playing that Airliner video game that they have at Dave & Busters (the museum has THREE of them! But they are $2 a pop).

The hangar area has some nice stuff, with an A-10 (I've actually never been close to one), an F-14, and a nose-section of an El Al 707.

As always a visit to a museum gift shop requires the purchase of Astronaut Ice Cream, which crumbled as I ate it and left freeze-dried ice cream sandwich on my face and shirt as I walked around Roosevelt Field Mall afterwards.

For those who have not been out there, I do recommend taking a drive out there to check it out.

engine46
2008-08-10, 06:52 PM
Gotta check out the IMAX films they have there also, they are amazing. It's actually the largest IMAX screen in New York State.