PDA

View Full Version : LGA Kids Day 2008 (UPDATE: EVENT CANCELLED)

dimamo1983
2008-08-05, 05:45 PM
I need my spotting fix so I am thinking about flying over there for the Kids Day at LGA and I got couple other people interested in joining me. Last year was fun hanging out with Andy, getting some awesome pictures, and then meeting a bunch of you guys at the BBQ afterwards. What's the plan for this year? I understand that it will be the last Saturday in September - the 27th. Any news yet on what treats we can expect to see there? Any plans for another get-together afterwards? Let's make it happen!

I am also planning on doing some spotting at JFK and possibly Planeview if the wind is right on Sunday.

Dima

ISP Pilot
2008-08-07, 06:57 PM
I understand that it will be the last Saturday in September - the 27th.
Is this date confirmed? I was also wondering when this year's kids day will be.

moose135
2008-08-07, 08:17 PM
I understand that it will be the last Saturday in September - the 27th.
Is this date confirmed? I was also wondering when this year's kids day will be.
I can't find anything on an LGA or Kiwanis Club web site, but on both the Army Public Affairs, and Navy sites, they list Kids Day on September 27 as an "eligible event" for static displays, etc. That doesn't guarantee we will see Army or Navy displays, but only that it is an approved event.

AA 777
2008-08-11, 03:01 AM
September 27 is the day.....

kc2aqg
2008-08-18, 04:52 PM
Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it due to the fact that I am going to Italy! I'm sorry I'll miss this event though, it's always a lot of fun. Hopefully we can find Dima a place to stay in the area so he can come out.

PHL Approach
2008-08-19, 02:22 AM
Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it due to the fact that I am going to Italy!

I will be as well. This will be the third year I will miss this. Have always wanted to make the trip to see the static displays. Curious what my company will bring in. What are you lining up with the Routers this year Ron? :P

lijk604
2008-08-19, 07:26 PM
I'll probably be in PA this weekend.

nikon50bigma
2008-08-19, 09:39 PM
I'll be there again. Hopefully, maybe the navy could spare a couple of F-18's for the day...(anyone remember last year)

PhilDernerJr
2008-09-05, 12:33 AM
Here's a flier for the event:

http://nycaviation.com/hosting/kids-day-flyer-2008.jpg

nikon50bigma
2008-09-09, 02:39 PM
Anyone ahve an idea of what aircraft will be on display?

AirtrafficController
2008-09-09, 03:09 PM
I will be there all day. Looking forward to see you guys there.

Delta777LR
2008-09-12, 11:13 AM
Anyone ahve an idea of what aircraft will be on display?

Im guessing they will have a NC Delta MD-88, American MD-82 again, and one of the speacial scheme USAirways A319.. And I believe the Skytypers will be there as well..

nikon50bigma
2008-09-17, 08:20 PM
Anyone have any idea if the military will be parting with some aircraft for the day?
Last year, they sent over a C-130 from the NY ANG.
I think a couple of Hornets and a Hawkeye too but they cancelled out.

Delta777LR
2008-09-20, 02:29 PM
I actually wish I would see a KC-10 tanker at the Kids Day Event!! That would have been more than worth a reason to be at LGA for the event...

flyboy 28
2008-09-22, 01:49 PM
Turns out I'll be going. Hope to see you all there.

LGA777
2008-09-22, 03:20 PM
I have an update on some of the aircraft visitors for Kids Day and it's going to be a good one.

Civil sounds like the usual DL and AA MD80's and US A-319. Also a couple of Cessna 182's.

Military the usual P-51, P-40 and Skytoppers fleet of Texan's. At least two, possibily more F-18's, at least one of which is in a Special two-tone blue scheme. Last years highlight a C-130 will be returning but will not be the highlight this year.

I wanted to post this sooner but was waiting for the final ok from the Port, despite the ban on this type aircraft (at least the civilian version) at LGA the Port has been very open minded and the Air Force is excited to be bringing a 'Drumroll please" KC-135 Tanker from McGuire. This is by far the coolest aircraft to ever be displayed at Kids Day and yes it will be open to tour and photograph. The enitre Squadron at McGuire is very excited and from what I here something like 18 commanders all want to be the one to land a KC-135 at LGA.

We all owe a BIG Thank You to my good friend Chuck Eason from the AA Ramp Tower at LGA for doing a lot of the cordinating with the Air Force and the Port to make this happen. We have been talking about this for months and I can't believe it's actually going to happen. As always Chuck will be in the cockpit of the AA MD80, please stop by and Thank Him, and also say congratulations as Chuck will be celebrating 40 years with AA at LGA in less than 2 months, he started in Nov 1968. We also owe a big Thank You to Mr. Warren Kroeppel, LGA'S General Manager for making this happen.

The KC-135 is due in between 0800-0900 and all the Military aircraft will be departing as soon as Kids Day ends at 1600. I realize many of you are going to the get together afterwords at Vinny's, you might want to try and budget time to get all this great traffic departing LGA.

I really hope many of you can attend this year, it is likely to be the Best Kids Day Event ever !

See You There

LGA777

Matt Molnar
2008-09-22, 03:23 PM
WOW. Thanks for the heads up, Ron.

flyboy 28
2008-09-22, 03:25 PM
Sweet! Anyone know the last time a 707 frame was at LGA?

LGA777
2008-09-22, 03:40 PM
Chuck and I were talking about this today. He believes the only time was a SAM VC135 or 137 in 1968 to bring the body of RFK to NY for the Funeral at St Patricks.

For those who were not aware even though the DC-10/L-1011/A-300 where all allowed at LGA the 707, DC-8, and CV-880 and 990 where not.

Saturday will be an almost once in a (airports) lifetime exception.

Cheers

LGA777

AA 777
2008-09-22, 04:00 PM
I wanted to post this sooner but was waiting for the final ok from the Port, despite the ban on this type aircraft (at least the civilian version) at LGA the Port has been very open minded and the Air Force is excited to be bringing a 'Drumroll please" KC-135 Tanker from McGuire. This is by far the coolest aircraft to ever be displayed at Kids Day and yes it will be open to tour and photograph. The enitre Squadron at McGuire is very excited and from what I here something like 18 commanders all want to be the one to land a KC-135 at LGA.

We all owe a BIG Thank You to my good friend Chuck Eason from the AA Ramp Tower at LGA for doing a lot of the cordinating with the Air Force and the Port to make this happen. We have been talking about this for months and I can't believe it's actually going to happen. As always Chuck will be in the cockpit of the AA MD80, please stop by and Thank Him, and also say congratulations as Chuck will be celebrating 40 years with AA at LGA in less than 2 months, he started in Nov 1968. We also owe a big Thank You to Mr. Warren Kappel, LGA'S General Manager for making this happen.

I too wanted to say something a lot earlier, but I didnt want to say it was coming and then have something happen and they cancel. However, I recieved an E-mail yesterday from the Port and it was confirmed it was coming.

Like Ron said, please stop by and thank Chuck Eason in the American MD-80. He did a LOT of extra work to try and get this to happen. Without him it would not have happened at all. The number of phone calls that went back and forth and the paperwork involved was nothing short of insane. He started working on this back in July when I had to get he dimensions of the -135 for him to give to the Port. The only thing the Military wanted was 7000' and some ground equipment like a KVA/GPU etc - which LGA has. The C-130 was also something that Chuck had worked on last year as there are a bunch of AA pilots that work in the Guard. The C-130 guys had such a good time last year that they had called Chuck again this year to see when the show was.....

LGA history will be made on Saturday. If you were planning on not coming to Kids Day, I'd re think that decision. Chuck and I had been discussing how many times a 4 engined plane had been to LGA and he thinks its only been once or twice if at all - and like Ron said he has been an LGA cornerstone for a LONG time. Regardless of the Weather and light this will be a HISTORIC movement at LGA. A big KUDOS also goes out to the Port for allowing this type of aircraft in.

I'll be flying up Friday for the show and I'll be near the AA MD80 for most of the day. I hope to see everyone there!!!!

Heres to the best Kid's Day Yet! :borat:

cancidas
2008-09-22, 04:07 PM

For those who were not aware even though the DC-10/L-1011/A-300 where all allowed at LGA the 707, DC-8, and CV-880 and 990 where not.

ron is correct. in case you're curious it has to do with the gear loading on the piers that support the ends of our runways. it's a good guess that that -135 will have as little fuel as possible onboard to save weight on our ramps and runways.

ron, btw the P-51, P-40 and T-6s are considered warbirds and not military a/c.

i won't be making it to the festiveties, but i will be most likely coming in a little early to capture the KC-135 arrival from my office in the sky. with any luck 4/22 will be closed and we'll be landing 31!

moose135
2008-09-22, 07:45 PM
...the Air Force is excited to be bringing a 'Drumroll please" KC-135 Tanker from McGuire...
HOLY CRAP!!! What incredible news!

Is it Saturday yet?

Vidiot
2008-09-22, 09:18 PM
Amazing news. Is the KC-135 reportable? I'm writing up a short notice for a New York travel information site, and wonder if I should keep that little tidbit under my hat, or shout it to the rooftops. ;)

cancidas
2008-09-22, 09:26 PM
...the Air Force is excited to be bringing a 'Drumroll please" KC-135 Tanker from McGuire...
HOLY CRAP!!! What incredible news!

Is it Saturday yet?
no moose, you cannot borrow...

MarkLawrence
2008-09-22, 09:26 PM
*Wishes my wife wasn't on call this weekend and I could change my October trip to this weekend*!! DAMN DAMN DAMN!! All you lucky guys!

Speedbird1
2008-09-23, 12:12 PM
Sadly, the forecast for Saturday, LGA Kids Day doesn't look too promising. I was curious if it had ever been re-scheduled due to rain? A tropical storm is supposed to come up the East Coast on Friday through Sat. morning, so I was wondering. Hopefully, the storm will pass. Latest reports say that Sat. PM will get nice but the AM will be rainy. Pray it's not canceled especially after reading all the work that Mr. Eason did for us. Thanks to him.

lijk604
2008-09-23, 12:14 PM
Wishing I wasnt going to be out of town this weekend. DAMN!

flyboy 28
2008-09-23, 12:24 PM
I heard that it could either go straight up to Cape Cod [which is odd of a tropical system] or veer towards NYC. Too soon to tell.

cancidas
2008-09-23, 03:04 PM
that's not good. if it's supposed to be bad here the kids day activitiees might end up being cancelled like they were a few years ago. re-scheduling all the visiting aircraft proved to be to difficult and it was just cancelled.

nikon50bigma
2008-09-23, 03:23 PM
Ugh. Thats too bad, I was looking forward to this year's Kid's day.
All we can do is hope for the best.

Btw if it is canceled, will they make some type of online publishing so we'll be aware of it?
or is it on of those ya show up and no one is there type of things? lol

nikon50bigma
2008-09-23, 03:36 PM
Wow hearing about the KC-135 is great!
I just hope the day doesn't get rained out.
LGA777, Do you know if there are any rain days scheduled in case Saturday turns out to be a wash out?

AA 777
2008-09-23, 09:03 PM
In the past they have not had a rain date. I sent some E-mails today and hopefully I should know by tomorrow if there will be a rain date in the event Saturday is a wash out....

LGA777
2008-09-23, 09:30 PM
Even though last time it was just cancelled hopefully if the weather is to iffy the Port and LGA Kiwanis Club who co-sponser the even will in fact schedule an alternate date. The aircraft that AA, DL, and US provide are all spare aircraft do to due seasonal Saturday reduced schedules so they can all be rescheduled to an alternate date easily. While some of the Military aircraft may not be able to reschedule the fact that all parties really want to attend I would think some could reschedule. There where some other Miitary aircraft that could not attend on Sept 27th due to a scheduling conflict. A new date might free them up to replace any unable to attend.

I will call Chuck tommorow and hopefully he has enough infuance with the Port to convince them if Sat's weather won't work to postpone and not cancel.

Let's all think positive, this still might work on Saturday.

Regards

LGA777

Speedbird1
2008-09-24, 10:30 AM
I'll come-out even if the AM is showery. The PM forecast looks better. Just our luck, every other Saturday recently had brilliant sunshine and great visibility. Keep our fingers crossed! I had a great time last year. I shlepped-up to the Bronx on Sunday after hearing that Yankee Stadium was open to the public to enter the field and we all got turned-away at the gate. Only ticket holders for the night game were admitted.

LGA777
2008-09-24, 04:27 PM
Latest update I have heard is the Port will make a go or no go call at 1530 Thursday afternoon, and so far is does NOT sound promising. While I would like to think they would reschedule from what I am hearing they just don't do that and that was the case around 4-5 years ago.

Either myself for AA777 will post something here as soon as we get the update on Thursday.

LGA777

Gerard
2008-09-24, 06:20 PM
>Latest update I have heard is the Port will make a go or no go call at 1530 Thursday afternoon, and so far is does NOT sound promising.<

They are calling for a pretty bad storm Thursday late aft. into Friday with Friday being the nastiest part with lots of rain and wind. With these
tropical depressions they can move out quickly. But you never know. Forecasting is such a crapshoot.
Good luck guys.

Speedbird1
2008-09-25, 08:37 AM
Yes, these tropical storms move up the coast fast. If rainy at 0800 on Sat., brilliant sunshine could return by noon so it should not be canceled. What a bummer, if it got canceled and it got sunny at noon. Fri. will be the all-day rain. As a spotter, this has happened to me many times. I left my house in Sheepshead Bay in thorms and by the time I got to JFK, it got sunny.

Matt Molnar
2008-09-25, 11:58 AM
Just our luck that the rarest of rare visitors is set to show up and we get two of the most bizarre weather systems in recent memory lined up to arrive at the same time.

On the bright side, it looks like that second storm is going to curve out to sea, and the current forecast makes it sound like rain could very well end in the AM on Saturday. Hopefully Port will give it a go.

LGA777
2008-09-25, 01:16 PM
I am going to be away from the computer to early evening but based on everything I am hearing this great event is NOT going to happen. While Sat afternoon may or may not be precip free keep in mind the event may start at 1200 but the outdoor setting up has to start around 8 or 9 to be ready. Also keep in mind the majority of the attendee's are families with small children. I don't want to sound like a wuss but I have no plans on slepping my 2 year old daughter around an outdoor event in rain and wind.

And while the logical thing to do would be reschedule I just don't think the Port wants to do that.

I have always had a glass is half full personality but I just don't see this one happening.

Sadly,

LGA777

AA 777
2008-09-25, 04:51 PM
I hate to be that guy...but I just got word that Kids Day is cancelled for this Saturday and there are no plans to reschedule......

Why the Port can't reschedule it is beyond me, but either way this sucks a lot

:evil:

cancidas
2008-09-26, 12:30 AM
I hate to be that guy...but I just got word that Kids Day is cancelled for this Saturday and there are no plans to reschedule......

Why the Port can't reschedule it is beyond me, but either way this sucks a lot

:evil:
i'm not trying to discredit you here my friend, but everyone i spoke to at the port today told me the same i received via email this morning. kids day will be decided upon froday morning in the weekly construction meeting. who'd you hear the cancellation from?

Delta777LR
2008-09-26, 10:21 AM
Grrrrr, Im hearing that its going to rain all morning and thundershowers in the afternoon. Rain fall is about 90%.. I wish they can reshedule the event. But it seems to be a no,no.. :(

AA 777
2008-09-26, 10:38 AM
who'd you hear the cancellation from?

I wouldnt post that Kids Day (or any big event for that matter) was cancelled unless the word I got was from someone in the know and could be trusted 100%....

cancidas
2008-09-26, 10:49 AM
who'd you hear the cancellation from?

I wouldnt post that Kids Day (or any big event for that matter) was cancelled unless the word I got was from someone in the know and could be trusted 100%....
that's not where i was going with that, i just wanted to know who told you because everyone i talked to yesterday told me that it's was still on pending this morning's construction meeting. of course today i recieved an email that there will be no Kids Day or rwy 4/22 closure. jsut curious, like i said i wasn't trying to discredit you.

Delta777LR
2008-09-26, 11:14 AM
lets pray and keep our fingers crossed... Hopefully there will be a change..

Vidiot
2008-09-26, 03:54 PM
FWIW, I just called the number on the flyer and was told that it is indeed officially cancelled.

LGA777
2008-09-27, 11:11 AM
While I'm as bummed as everybody else about the Kids Day cancellation here is the 1100AM Sat morning LGA Metar.

KLGA 271451Z 06013KT 1/2SM FG OVC001 19/18 A3007 RMK AO2 SLP184 T01890178 56003

With a 100 foot ceiling and half a mile vis in fog I doubt a lot of the visiting aircraft could have made it in. Probably below mins for many of them.

LGA777

Delta777LR
2008-09-27, 11:16 AM
upsetting, upsetting.. hopefully next year things will turn better... :(

Speedbird1
2008-09-29, 11:18 AM
I figured it was canceled but I went to LGA anyway. There was no answer when I called 718-397-0184 on Sat. morning. I made the best of it. There was drizzle and the ceiling was low. LGA was using the rarely-used LOC/ILS 13 Approach. I saw the new Control Tower. It was strange that most LGA workers I approached, never heard of Kids Day. Finally, 1 guy said that it's over at the Marine Air Terminal and another said it was canceled. The rocking chairs they used to have by the large windows at the Central Terminal were replaced with uncomfortable wire benches. I guess they don't want visitors to stay too long. As it turned-out, Sundays' weather was even worse so re-scheduling wouldn't have worked.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2008-10-03, 01:26 PM
I was supposed to be volunteering too. What a shame.

LGA777
2008-10-03, 05:05 PM
As it turned-out, Sundays' weather was even worse so re-scheduling wouldn't have worked.

Had they rescheduled it would have been for another Saturday, probably in October.

Pretty much got the FINAL word today there is ZERO chance of rescheduling from the Port.

I am going to try and contact the event's chariman within the LGA Kiwanis Club and also a few key people with the Port and see of they are willing for next year to schedule both a firm date and a rain date, as this is the second outright cancellation in either 5 or 6 years.

I think most of the civilian and military aircraft operators would be willing to comit to both a firm and an alternate rain date, as would I think many of the vendors and other volunteers that are needed to staff the event. These are some of the reasons the Port stated as the reason they could not reschedule but again if established in advance for future years hopefully this years dissapointment can be avoided.

As a group you have my word I am going to invest some time and effort to try and convince the organizers to try and avoid a future outright cancellation.

Regards

LGA777

Matt Molnar
2008-10-03, 05:48 PM
Thanks for your work on this, Ron.

I guess it doesn't seem like a big deal for Port to just cordon off a small part of the field for this, but when you think about the extra bus drivers, security staff and PAPD officers they need for the event, some of whom probably have strict union-controlled scheduling and pay rules, I'm guessing scheduling those people for a date that might not be needed is where the rain date difficulty comes into play.