PDA

View Full Version : Noisiest Passenger Jet ?

Speedbird1
2008-08-01, 09:16 AM
I spent Wednesday at Flushing Meadows near LGA and noticed that the MD 80's departing from Rwy 13 were the noisiest jet I heard. In fact, you could tell they were overhead from the engine roar without even looking-up. My question is are these the noisiest passenger jets? Is there any way to muffle that roar? It must be annoying when they're playing a game over at Shea Stadium.

PhilDernerJr
2008-08-01, 09:41 AM
Currently in operation, the DC-9/MD-80 will be the loudest. You'll also get loud noise from 727s, but since you don't see them much, and they are not operated by an airlines, I woudn't count them.

Art at ISP
2008-08-01, 09:48 AM
Going back a bit further, however, I think we can all agree that the early 707s and DC8's were quite loud....
And then there was Concorde.....

I lived 8 miles as the crow flies from JFK when growing up and I could hear Concorde taking off-while still on the ground!

Idlewild
2008-08-01, 10:17 AM
How about in pitch? The Concorde was a "rumble" loud. Aircraft like the 707, some with turbojets had a special "screech" to 'em. I remember spotting at JFK back in the late '70's and seeing/hearing a Bac-1-11 taking off. Talk about ear bleed.

Speedbird1
2008-08-01, 10:53 AM
Believe it or not, on the rare times that the Concorde departed from Rwy 4L from JFK, I could actually hear it take-off although I live in Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn. I could imagine the noise in Rosedale. Now, one of those engines is sitting idly in Brooklyn's Floyd Bennett Field, uncovered with birds nesting inside. I once felt the noise of Concorde landing as I was standing on Rockaway Blvd just before Concorde touched-down on Rwy 22L. I felt pain in my ear but it quickly subsided. It was thrilling for me as a plane spotter.

Ari707
2008-08-01, 10:55 AM
I remember being on the roof of the pan-am term. watching it take off and setting off car alarms in the parking lot.

Laxgoaly
2008-08-01, 07:30 PM
Gulfstream II/III, Mitsubishi MU-2, Mitsubishi/Hawker/Beechcraft Beechjet, and Fairchild Merlin are by far the loudest biz-jets

h2opunk1822
2008-08-01, 09:43 PM
Mu-2, old gulfstreams with the stage 3 attachment on the engines.. and the noisest i have ever delt with.. the damn saberliner (the loudest most obnoxous plane ever).. IMO

nwafan20
2008-08-02, 02:50 AM
Currently operating in major airline service in the U.S., the DC-9 has to take the cake.... That is just an awesome sound and sooo loud!

JHNA57
2008-08-02, 08:24 AM
In the late 70's and early 80's I used to be an avid reader of Aviation Week Magazine. (Could not afford a subscription so I rode my bike to the library every monday for the latest issue)

There were ads by McDonnel Douglas showing the noise footprint of the MD-80 and it was to be the "quiestest" commercial jetliner of the time. This allowed American and other airlines to use it in what was then "Noise Sensative" Burbank Airport in LA.

My favorite was the screech of the 707 and DC-8's (God I miss them)

One of the most distinct is the C5 Galaxy. Ive had it pass over a couple of times on its way to JFK 22L, it sounds like a room full of Hoover vacuum cleaners!

Alessio
2008-08-02, 09:42 AM
Il-62 with 4 engines stacked near eachother in the rear are my most nosy plane I heard.
Guess that the VC-10 wasn´t too quiet either?

LH_nach_Berlin
2008-08-02, 10:35 AM
I LOVE WERNER KURPJUWEIT

adam613
2008-08-02, 10:46 AM
Il-62 with 4 engines stacked near eachother in the rear are my most nosy plane I heard.
Guess that the VC-10 wasn´t too quiet either?

I was going to say, what about the IL-62? Even the youtube videos of that thing are noisy!

lijk604
2008-08-02, 11:54 AM
Gulfstream II/III, Mitsubishi MU-2, Mitsubishi/Hawker/Beechcraft Beechjet, and Fairchild Merlin are by far the loudest biz-jets

Yesterday a Lear 25 took off from ISP. The noise was deafening, like it was ripping or "tearing" a hole in the air.

The Old G2/G3's also are right up there.

Tom_Turner
2008-08-03, 01:36 AM
How about in pitch? The Concorde was a "rumble" loud. Aircraft like the 707, some with turbojets had a special "screech" to 'em. I remember spotting at JFK back in the late '70's and seeing/hearing a Bac-1-11 taking off. Talk about ear bleed.

Absolutely.. The concorde was a rumble - like going to an airshow today. Those first generation commercial jets though.. BAC 1-11, Convair 880/990 etc. Those whines and screeches would clear an observation deck. Extremely painful to the ears. Like nothing today.

Tom

NYARTCCFAN
2008-08-03, 11:25 AM
I would attest to the DC-9'S and MD-80'S. I live a mile off the threshold where the flights here in Tampa are positioned for takeoff. I can tell when NW's DC-9 flight is lifting off(loudest down here), next in line are the MD-80's(American and Delta). Sounds like the earth is opening up and my house just shutters when they are on the roll.

Speedbird1
2008-08-04, 09:42 AM
Yes, I remember the old IL-62's from Aeroflot, Tarom and Lot, but I only heard them arrive on Rwy 22L at JFK. I don't recall hearing them depart. They were a bit noisy when crossing Rockaway Blvd.

ivantt
2008-08-16, 11:24 PM
Add the Caravelle to the batch of early birds that would rip your ears on takeoff. The BAC 1-11 had the same basic engines---Rolls Royce Avons.
Joke we had at work for awhile when we operated the BAC:

"Why is the BAC 1-11 nicknamed the "Converter?"
Because it converts jet fuel into nothing but smoke and noise.

Delta777LR
2008-08-17, 12:26 AM
I might sound weird but the loudest planes between the DC-9/MD-80s. My opinion some of NW DC-9s are not as loud as some of American's older MD-80s. DC-9-51s are more louder than the DC-9-32s since thier engines are more powerful..

Jetinder
2008-08-30, 09:34 PM
I remember being on the roof of the pan-am term. watching it take off and setting off car alarms in the parking lot.
I chased Concorde around heathrow and i agree Concorde was loud. At heathrow if she took off on the North runway (started the take off run at 27R side and left the ground over the 09L side) car alarms of cars parked next to the runway went off.

It was a brilliant sight and i loved every single second of it (god i miss that bird desperately).

But for me Concorde wasnt the loudest.

The loudest was the 747 (dunno which series) but it was louder than Concorde, followed by 727s, Tridents, 707s and early 737s + russain IL62, TU154 etc where just as loud.

Believe it or not, on the rare times that the Concorde departed from Rwy 4L from JFK, I could actually hear it take-off although I live in Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn. I could imagine the noise in Rosedale. ..............I once felt the noise of Concorde landing as I was standing on Rockaway Blvd just before Concorde touched-down on Rwy 22L. I felt pain in my ear but it quickly subsided. It was thrilling for me as a plane spotter.
When she took from Heathrow and when she got to safe airspeed the pilots had to reduce power and kill the afterburners (so the public would not go mad).

If she'd been allowed to normally accelerate i feel instead of 3 1/2 hrs from heathrow - JFK it would been around 2 hrs and 50-55 mins or may be less because as soon as she took off she had full mach 2 capability and if ATC had allowed Concorde total freedom over land believe me she would have reached mach 1 within i guess 5-10 mins after take off and would have been braking world speed records almost every week.......

People don't know what that bird could really do.

At JFK (not sure which runway the pilots did this) but i heard as soon as they took off for London they had to do a very sharp left turn and bank hard so the engine noise would not disturb the public living near JFK.

Wow I would have loved to been on those flights as that would have really shown what this baby could do..........

Now, one of those engines is sitting idly in Brooklyn's Floyd Bennett Field, uncovered with birds nesting inside.
That's extremely sad and as discussed on the G-BOAD thread it hurts like hell to see her in this state...........

Idlewild
2008-08-30, 11:04 PM

Absolutely.. The concorde was a rumble - like going to an airshow today. Those first generation commercial jets though.. BAC 1-11, Convair 880/990 etc. Those whines and screeches would clear an observation deck. Extremely painful to the ears. Like nothing today.

Tom

When were you guys spotting on the Pan Am Rooftop? I was there from '77-'83. I used to spend all day and night weekends there. My last vision as I took the bus to the "Train to the Plane" being one of those wonderful TransAmerica or Air Afrique DC-10-30's being lit by the apron lights.

dimamo1983
2008-08-31, 09:59 AM
At JFK (not sure which runway the pilots did this) but i heard as soon as they took off for London they had to do a very sharp left turn and bank hard so the engine noise would not disturb the public living near JFK.

It was 31L, but the sharp bank was necessarily for noise, but rather for getting away from LGA traffic. All planes do that.

The loudest I have experienced was the NWA DC9s when I was at CMH. They have an observation area just behind and to the side of 28L and you could really feel the power when one of those took off. Their departure path would usually take them right over the Ohio State campus and I remember one day walking to my class with some friends while one of those was overflying the campus, so when one of them said something like "boy, it's loud" I had to show off my awesome geekness telling them it's a NWA DC9 on the way to Detroit without even looking up :)

I will also second the Sabreliner comment. We still use one of these birds as a test bed. It is also really tiny and cramped inside. Not really looking forward to flying on that thing.

Dima