PDA

View Full Version : Obama's answer to drilling at home; Inflate your tires

Midnight Mike
2008-07-30, 08:59 PM
Goodness, the Democrats had better get serious on a realistic energy bill, now, in an election year, this is the best that Obama can come up, sheesh!

http://www.breitbart.tv/html/142113.html

OBAMA’S ANSWER TO DRILLING DEBATE: INFLATE YOUR TIRES

T-Bird76
2008-08-04, 11:04 PM
Mike lets get real...this was taken to far and to be blunt..proper inflation of tires can increase your milage by 2 mpgs..so its not a half bad idea. Its also a safety factor...its not Obama's answer but its good common sense and it does save gas.

nwafan20
2008-08-05, 12:06 AM
Tommy, of course it is, but the way he said it was quite frankly.... Stupid.... Plus his facts are a bit off...

My favorite:

"We could save all the oil that they're talking about getting off drilling if everybody was just inflating their tires and getting regular tune-ups. You could save just as much."

haha suuure.

T-Bird76
2008-08-05, 12:19 AM
Tommy, of course it is, but the way he said it was quite frankly.... Stupid.... Plus his facts are a bit off...

My favorite:

"We could save all the oil that they're talking about getting off drilling if everybody was just inflating their tires and getting regular tune-ups. You could save just as much."

haha suuure.

Matt he's right...proper running engines burn far less gas and if everybody did do it we'd save oil. However everyone isn't going to do it. But I love the fact that we are putting a man down because he's basically saying "hey take some personal responsibility for your own actions." When I drive to work and I see people still doing 80 plus, IMO they have no right to complain about how high the price of gas is. People in this country need to start taking responsibility for their actions! Obama's said it a few times and each time he does, he gets shot down...Man what an extreme idea...personal responsibility...wow

Midnight Mike
2008-08-05, 12:44 AM
Matt he's right...proper running engines burn far less gas and if everybody did do it we'd save oil. However everyone isn't going to do it. But I love the fact that we are putting a man down because he's basically saying "hey take some personal responsibility for your own actions." When I drive to work and I see people still doing 80 plus, IMO they have no right to complain about how high the price of gas is. People in this country need to start taking responsibility for their actions! Obama's said it a few times and each time he does, he gets shot down...Man what an extreme idea...personal responsibility...wow

Tommy

This is what Obama said
"We could save all the oil that they're talking about getting off drilling[/b] if everybody was just inflating their tires and getting regular tune-ups. You could save just as much."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/MidnightMike/Politics/tiregauge.jpg

Now of course, what Obama said would be unable to quantify, but, if people were not servicing their cars, companies like Jiffy Lube would not exist :wink:

What Obama should have said was that if you service your own car, then, you can save yourself some money.

Making sure your car is serviced, would not cancel out the requirement for more drilling....

PhilDernerJr
2008-08-05, 01:01 AM
Doing what you can do to maximize your fuel usage efficiency might save you a few dollars, but it's not a solution to the oil crisis. Driving efficiently or driving less will not make the gas prices go down, as is costs what it does because the Mideast and oil companies are taking our country hostage....bottom line.

It's like telling a girl that it's her fault for getting raped and it would happen less if she made herself look less attractive. The basic economics of supply and demand just do not apply to gas. I can cut my fuel usage in half, but I still don't deserve to pay $4+ a gallon when I DO fill up.

Our energy crisis will not go away just with "energy saving tips". If that's his solution, he's ignoring the problem.

moose135
2008-08-05, 01:24 AM
Goodness, the Democrats had better get serious on a realistic energy bill, now, in an election year, this is the best that Obama can come up, sheesh!
I love the double standard here. For much of the first 6 years of Bush's presidency, the Republicans controlled the House and Senate, but they couldn't even come up with a "plan" like this, but suddenly, the Democrats are the bad guys because they aren't ready to start drilling in everybody's back yard. The Republicans didn't "get serious" when they were in power. If all this drilling is such a great idea, why didn't they pass legislation allowing it four or five years ago?

And speaking of "Middle Eastern" countries that are holding us hostage over oil...anybody care to guess the top source of oil and other petroleum products for the US? Canada...that's right, the US imported nearly 50% more petroleum products from Canada than Saudi Arabia in May 2008. In fact, in 2006, Saudi Arabia was the only third largest source of imported oil, behind both Canada and Mexico. About half of our oil imports come from the Western Hemisphere. (Source:Dept of Energy, Energy Information Agency (http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/energy_in_brief/foreign_oil_dependence.cfm))

Midnight Mike
2008-08-05, 08:58 AM
I love the double standard here. For much of the first 6 years of Bush's presidency, the Republicans controlled the House and Senate, but they couldn't even come up with a "plan" like this, but suddenly, the Democrats are the bad guys because they aren't ready to start drilling in everybody's back yard. The Republicans didn't "get serious" when they were in power. If all this drilling is such a great idea, why didn't they pass legislation allowing it four or five years ago?

And speaking of "Middle Eastern" countries that are holding us hostage over oil...anybody care to guess the top source of oil and other petroleum products for the US? Canada...that's right, the US imported nearly 50% more petroleum products from Canada than Saudi Arabia in May 2008. In fact, in 2006, Saudi Arabia was the only third largest source of imported oil, behind both Canada and Mexico. About half of our oil imports come from the Western Hemisphere. (Source:Dept of Energy, Energy Information Agency (http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/energy_in_brief/foreign_oil_dependence.cfm))

Moose

A ban on drilling is a Democrat issue, whether the Democrats are in the minority or majority.

Back in 2005, an energy policy was put in place that included tax reductions for alternative energy, that was why they changed the start of daylight savings :wink:

Back to the present problem, we used to be a country that supplied more than 70% of our oil, now that number is down to 40%, we are sitting on oil. Blocking drilling & hoping for alternative is not an energy policy.

In the original bill, the Republicans wanted to lift the drilling ban in ANWR, the Democrats blocked that part of the bill. Don't worry, the Republicans were no angels, they blocked raising the raising the fuel economy standards for cars......

T-Bird76
2008-08-05, 10:32 AM
Doing what you can do to maximize your fuel usage efficiency might save you a few dollars, but it's not a solution to the oil crisis. Driving efficiently or driving less will not make the gas prices go down, as is costs what it does because the Mideast and oil companies are taking our country hostage....bottom line.

Phil this is Economics 101... One of the major reasons why the price of oil is going down is because supplies are up and demand is down and keeps falling. Simply lesson in supply and demand, supply right now is high and demand is dropping. As Moose said we get most of our oil from Canada and Mexico, and will continue to get most of our oil from them even after we break out ties to the MidEast. Why aren't we hearing that we need to break out ties to Canada?

Obama is talking about people taking responsibility for their own actions. This problem cannot be solved by simply drilling for more oil. Everyone needs to do their part to lower their consumption of oil because it will make a difference. Imagine if 10% of the population changed their habits what a difference it would make.

Matt Molnar
2008-08-05, 01:17 PM
"We could save all the oil that they're talking about getting off drilling if everybody was just inflating their tires..."
CLEARLY OBAMA IS IN BED WITH THE AIR COMPANIES!

PhilDernerJr
2008-08-05, 02:16 PM
Pardon my community college education, but the only reason demand is low is because the price was set high to begin with. It's not that the price went up because demand had fallen. Prices increased because of political reasons that are outside the typical supply and demand laws, and demand fell due to that.

T-Bird76
2008-08-05, 03:19 PM
Pardon my community college education, but the only reason demand is low is because the price was set high to begin with. It's not that the price went up because demand had fallen. Prices increased because of political reasons that are outside the typical supply and demand laws, and demand fell due to that.

Political reasons? What political reasons are those?

PhilDernerJr
2008-08-05, 03:35 PM
War. Threat of more war. OPEC nations wanting to give a big "shove it" to Western nations.

Perhaps debatable, I know, but that's what I think.

bonanzabucks
2008-08-05, 04:05 PM
Also, don't forget those investors, like Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley. They're putting obscene amounts of money into oil futures, more or less pushing up the price of oil. Trading paper oil now accounts for over 70% of activity on NYMEX and ICE. Five years ago, it was less than 30%. These guys see oil and commodities in general as a new currency and investment tool.

Oil companies have their share of the blame too...

Matt Molnar
2008-08-05, 04:21 PM
These guys see oil and commodities in general as a new currency and investment tool.
And now that European economies are starting to follow ours down the crapper, the Euro is beginning to fall against the dollar, making oil less attractive to foreign investors, which also (among a billion other factors) contributes to the fall in price.

PhilDernerJr
2008-08-05, 04:34 PM
How far down do you think it's going to get? Where will it level off, and for how long?

T-Bird76
2008-08-05, 04:51 PM
How far down do you think it's going to get? Where will it level off, and for how long?

It will level off around $80 to $100 a barrel sometime in Oct and Nov. I think if we continue to see the Dollar rise against the Euro and the speculative bubble continue to break we could see prices go down further by the winter. It’s the only real way the economy is going to bounce back. Right now prices for EVERYTHING are reaching unattainable levels and you’re seeing it impact the all too important consumer sector. The amount of retailers that have filed for Chap 11 in the last few weeks is unreal and the amount of retailers that have gone belly up in the last year is the highiest in years. Just to name a few in Chap 11 or have gone out of biz. Levitz, Mervs, Boscovs, Sharper Image, CompUSA, Steve and Berry’s, Bombay Company, Linens and Things, and Lllian Vernon.

Matt Molnar
2008-08-05, 05:06 PM
Most of those stores were in pretty bad shape before the downturn and couldn't keep their heads above water any more once people stopped buying non-essential items.

Steve and Barry's, however, is actually the sort of place that should have thrived in this environment, but they had a horrifically bad business model. They signed up all these celebrities like Stephon Marbury and Sarah Jessica Parker for incredibly cheap clothing and sneaker lines...and then they realized they had to pay them millions of bucks off of clothes they were selling for $15-$20. They apparently didn't realize that Nike charges $200 for Air Jordans for a pretty good reason. Despite their awful management, it sounds like a Wall St. rescue firm is offering to buy them out and keep many of the stores open pending the approval of a bankruptcy court.

nwafan20
2008-08-05, 10:08 PM
Tommy, but you are still dodging what he said.... He said that by properly maintaining our vehicles we could save as much oil as we are talking about drilling, that is certainly not so and a stupid thing to say... Regardless of your undying support of Obama, what he said was stupid and false, and it is not a true energy policy!

Derner for prez 2008!

T-Bird76
2008-08-05, 11:04 PM
Tommy, but you are still dodging what he said.... He said that by properly maintaining our vehicles we could save as much oil as we are talking about drilling, that is certainly not so and a stupid thing to say... Regardless of your undying support of Obama, what he said was stupid and false, and it is not a true energy policy!

Derner for prez 2008!

Matt what he said was FAR from stupid and no where did he state it’s his energy policy. People need to take personal responsibility and lower their own consumption of oil if we are going to reduce our dependency. You know what's funny you know who's pushing domestic drilling....the OIL COMPANIES! Why? Because most of the countries where there is oil deposit the oil and gas industry is being nationalized and U.S Oil Company’s can't go in and pump.

McCain has no place to attack Obama on his statement. McCain was against domestic drilling for years and ALL of a Sudden changed his stance…hmmm whose flip flopping now.

I in-fact have switched from air to pure nitrogen in my tires when I got new tires last month. There are HUGE benefits to proper tire maintenance and a smooth running car. You will get peak MPGs and your car will last longer with less problems.

Now go check your tire pressure! Hehe ;)

nwafan20
2008-08-06, 10:19 AM

Derner for prez 2008!

Matt what he said was FAR from stupid and no where did he state it’s his energy policy. People need to take personal responsibility and lower their own consumption of oil if we are going to reduce our dependency. You know what's funny you know who's pushing domestic drilling....the OIL COMPANIES! Why? Because most of the countries where there is oil deposit the oil and gas industry is being nationalized and U.S Oil Company’s can't go in and pump.

McCain has no place to attack Obama on his statement. McCain was against domestic drilling for years and ALL of a Sudden changed his stance…hmmm whose flip flopping now.

I in-fact have switched from air to pure nitrogen in my tires when I got new tires last month. There are HUGE benefits to proper tire maintenance and a smooth running car. You will get peak MPGs and your car will last longer with less problems.

Yes, proper maintenance is an awesome thing, I check my car all the time.... But that still doesn't change what Obama said and you haven't responded to it..

We will quote again:

Do you seriously believe we could save just as much oil by properly inflating our tires than they are talking about getting off drilling???

T-Bird76
2008-08-06, 10:28 AM

Derner for prez 2008!

Yes, proper maintenance is an awesome thing, I check my car all the time.... But that still doesn't change what Obama said and you haven't responded to it..

We will quote again:

Do you seriously believe we could save just as much oil by properly inflating our tires than they are talking about getting off drilling???

Considering I haven't run the number Matt I'm not sure. However if we did I'm sure we could easily save a few hundred thousand or a million barrels of oil a day so he is on to something. My own company has stepped up our oversight of our own fleet’s maintenance because we know how much gas we'll save when our vans are properly maintained. Why do you think the Gov't has increased the rules for car makers when it comes to gas mileage? Again not sure why ppl are putting him down, his statement puts some responsibility on you.

Midnight Mike
2008-08-07, 08:59 AM
[quote="Phil D.":2tqgrcv5]

It will level off around $80 to $100 a barrel sometime in Oct and Nov. I think if we continue to see the Dollar rise against the Euro and the speculative bubble continue to break we could see prices go down further by the winter. It’s the only real way the economy is going to bounce back. Right now prices for EVERYTHING are reaching unattainable levels and you’re seeing it impact the all too important consumer sector. The amount of retailers that have filed for Chap 11 in the last few weeks is unreal and the amount of retailers that have gone belly up in the last year is the highiest in years. Just to name a few in Chap 11 or have gone out of biz. Levitz, Mervs, Boscovs, Sharper Image, CompUSA, Steve and Berry’s, Bombay Company, Linens and Things, and Lllian Vernon.[/quote:2tqgrcv5]

As Gotham mentioned, most of the above listed stores had business models :wink:

Sharper Image went under due to lawsuits, the air purifiers they used to sell were found to be creating ozone which could be dangerous to your health, Consumer Reports tested the air purifiers & gave the products failing marks.....

Tom_Turner
2008-08-08, 08:15 PM
Well, sooner or later Democrats in general need to be "for" some form of energy production.... I guess we can't drill, and I guess it was established in the late 70s we can't have nuclear, and I guess its being established now that windmills kill birds....and oh yeah, coal is bad, and oh yeah, don't build any off shore LNG ports... and I can sympathize with the naysayers on all of that, but "none of the above, lets inflate our tires" is not a choice.

When the US increases its populace another 100 million people, mostly through mass immigration, inflating tires isn't going to be an impressive measure....

Tom