PDA

View Full Version : Planespotting and Polarizers

kc2aqg
2008-07-30, 09:54 AM
Was at B&H yesterday picking up a rocketblower and some lens cleaning supplies and the salesperson I spoke with recommended a polarizer for shooting "outdoors". Now I can see the benefit of using one of these for outdoor shooting of scenery or something like that, but is there any benefit / detriment to using it while planespotting? Curious to learn from those in the know...

mirrodie
2008-07-30, 10:02 AM
I had a polarizer with my old camrea kit. Made for nice effects with dark blue skies and negates reflections over the water.

For planespotting, considering how 'pure' photo editing a photo has become, I'd recommend against it for everyday plane shooting.

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-30, 10:07 AM
I have a polarizer for my 100-400, and I only used it once it spotting. The planes came out nice and crisp, but the blue sky was darkened, really accentuating the plane. I liked the effect....but screeners didn't. I got bad contrast on several examples.

adam613
2008-07-30, 11:16 AM
I love my circular polarizer, but I never use it for plane-spotting. Two problems: it deepens the color of the sky too much, and you lose the effect as you pan. I could see it being useful on those awful hazy days we tend to get at this time of year though...

lijk604
2008-07-30, 04:44 PM
Not to mention it slows down the shutter speed by about 2 full stops.