PDA

View Full Version : Delta 737 Lands With Blown Tire at JFK

heeshung
2008-07-29, 07:33 PM
The live landing of Delta flight 141 to Salt Lake City was on TV about 10 minutes ago. The tire to the very right of the main gear apparently blew out on landing, and they flew for 3 hours around the area to burn off fuel. The plane touched down on the right gear, and a piece of tire flew off, but otherwise was a good landing, albeit on the left side of the runway. It was either a -700 or -800 with winglets.

SengaB
2008-07-29, 09:47 PM
737-800
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/dal14101.gif

Gerard
2008-07-29, 10:07 PM
The live landing of Delta flight 141 to Salt Lake City was on TV about 10 minutes ago. The tire to the very right of the main gear apparently blew out on landing, and they flew for 3 hours around the area to burn off fuel. The plane touched down on the right gear, and a piece of tire flew off, but otherwise was a good landing, albeit on the left side of the runway. It was either a -700 or -800 with winglets.

It was the top story on Fox5 NY at 10PM and they had great pictures from their ENG copter Skyfox.

Delta777LR
2008-07-30, 03:01 AM
I knew something wasnt right.. I caught it as it was coming into runway 22R while I was at the mounds.... Check it out..

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o37/sergair/IMG_0946.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o37/sergair/aviation%20photos%20part%202/IMG_0946.jpg

I never noticed it until I looked good at the picture... Im in shock to catch it..

flyboy 28
2008-07-30, 07:46 AM
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL1 ... /KJFK/KJFK (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL141/history/20080729/1956Z/KJFK/KJFK)

Good catch, Sergio.

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-30, 09:43 AM
Man, good one, Sergio!

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2008-07-30, 10:12 AM
It was either a -700 or -800 with winglets.

It was a -800.

The -700s have not entered into Delta service yet.

NYCMedic
2008-07-30, 10:24 AM
Many of the local news outlets are quoting the Port Authority as saying the Aircraft dumped fuel over a loacl body of water. I hope before the Environmentalists begin their ranting that they do their homework and discover that the B737 series has never had fuel jettisoning capability.

wunaladreamin
2008-07-30, 10:27 AM
I hope before the Environmentalists begin their ranting that they do their homework and discover that the B737 series has never had fuel jettisoning capability.Maybe they can have another bicycle rally to protest it lol.

Great catch Sergio!

Derf
2008-07-30, 10:43 AM
Bad shot....Backlit!!! :lol:

Seriously.....great shot! You should be proud that it stumbled upon you.... Nice job! :borat:

kc2aqg
2008-07-30, 11:21 AM
Great landing by the pilots. I read that the landing was to the left of centerline to allow it more room on the right in case the aircraft veered to the right upon landing. Can anyone shed some light as to why a tire would be blown on takeoff like that? Is it just wear and tear that culminates when the aircraft rotates, or is there a technical reason I am not aware of?

On another note, GREAT SHOT SERGIO! Pretty rare to catch photos of an incident like that. Wouldn't be surprised if you could sell it to local media for a pretty penny...even if it is backlit!

T-Bird76
2008-07-30, 11:31 AM
Tires blow for the same reason your car tire blows....wear or an object hit the tire. This really isn't a big deal at all. Mario and I were at JFK last year when an Air China 747 came in with two blow tires. In that case though the pilot never reported it until another taxing plane reported it to the tower and made the China bird stop until it could be checked out, I'll try to find some pics of that. The news totally blows things out of proportion.

Delta777LR
2008-07-30, 12:35 PM
Great landing by the pilots. I read that the landing was to the left of centerline to allow it more room on the right in case the aircraft veered to the right upon landing. Can anyone shed some light as to why a tire would be blown on takeoff like that? Is it just wear and tear that culminates when the aircraft rotates, or is there a technical reason I am not aware of?

On another note, GREAT SHOT SERGIO! Pretty rare to catch photos of an incident like that. Wouldn't be surprised if you could sell it to local media for a pretty penny...even if it is backlit!

I actually tried to send the picture to Daily News, Post and AOL News, but I didnt get any calls or responds to it..

*Travelin'Grandma*
2008-08-17, 08:49 PM
I realize that this story is old news but I wanted to add a comment (and photo, if I can figure out how to do it...) to this topic.

I was a passenger on Delta 141 when the tire blew on takeoff and I had no idea that the event had generated any news stories, much less a discussion in a forum such as this! I was flying to Utah to visit my sons and grandkids but didn't see any of the news stories for a couple of days and then didn't get to search the internet until I'd returned home... and that's when I found this discussion. I've never joined a discussion group or done any postings, so hopefully I'm not out of line by adding to the discussion at this point.

SengaB - thanks for posting the image of the flight's track - it was neat to be able to see exactly where we spent all that time in the air! And it clearly shows the flight path when we came in low for the flyover (so that people on the ground could do a visual inspection and determine whether the tire was indeed blown or possibly just some of the treads came off).

Sergio - your photo that happened to capture the blown tire is great and it actually was nice to see such a beautiful shot, with the sun setting behind the plane like that, because it was a tense situation (for those of us onboard) yet someone on the ground was just seeing the beauty of a plane in the sky. (does that make sense?)

I can't figure out how to post a photo of what remained of the tire... (For the record, I was seated in 25-A [left side of plane] so I handed my camera to a young man in 25-F [right side of plane where all the action was!] and asked him to take the photo for me. I have lots of other images - video mostly - that I took during the flight, flyover, and actual landing [but at that point the camera was on my lap while I was in the brace position, and although you can hear the flight attendant yelling "Brace - stay low!" throughout the landing, there really isn't anything to see except the sweater I was holding on my lap] so the photo of the tire is the only image I thought would be of interest to anyone who followed this discussion and story.)

Any help would be appreciated! I clicked on the "Img" button thinking that was how to add a photo but that didn't seem to work; drag and drop didn't work either... sorry! As I said, this is new to me. I'll look through the FAQ's to see if there's some help there.

PhilDernerJr
2008-08-18, 12:07 AM
Welcome to the site, Gma! A great first-hand account of your experience, thank you for sharing that.

If you'd like, you can email me any photos or videos ([email protected]), and I will post them here for you. I know we would all be very excited to see them!

Delta777LR
2008-08-18, 10:55 AM
You can also use Photobucket.com to post pictures here. If you dont have an account on Photobucket.com, its free to do so. You can add your picture to photobucket and paste them here as posting.. Just use the IMG code below your picture ... Its very easy...

*Travelin'Grandma*
2008-08-18, 12:46 PM
Here's the tire:

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/sRQM-zItEngbKYV0cRKrZWkZ8wakCvld0300.jpg

*Travelin'Grandma*
2008-08-18, 02:19 PM
Thanks, Phil, for getting the photo posted for me.

By the way - I was surprised how quickly the tire was removed from the plane; it was off before we, the passengers, were even allowed out of our seats. The tire looks almost intact on the bottom but it is shredded at the top; the rim looks surprisingly good to me, but I'm no expert and maybe I don't know what to really look for. Some of the news videos of the landing highlighted pieces of the tire flying off as we touched down and they also showed "sparks" flying but I think they were seeing the plane's blinking lights, not sparks.

Sorry that the quality isn't too great, but it was taken through the window as I'd said. Once we were off the plane we weren't allowed to take any photos, so this is as good as it is going to get...

And thanks, too, to Sergio for the info re: Photobucket. I'll have to check that out!

Delta777LR
2008-08-18, 11:31 PM
For the record, I caught the very same plane yesterday from the Mounds and its flying very well with its new Tires.... Here she is she is from yesterday

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o37/sergair/IMG_2366.jpg

*Travelin'Grandma*
2008-08-19, 07:27 PM
How cool to see that you've got a shot of the same plane!! It's nice to know that she's up there and doing just fine... : )