PDA

View Full Version : A380 will not be a Hot Photo (UPDATE 8/2)

T-Bird76
2008-07-29, 11:05 AM
Just an fyi to all, the A380 landing at JFK this Friday is not being considered a Hot photo at JP.net for a few reasons.

1. Its been to JFK.
2. Its been to North America before.
3. First revenue flights are not consider Hot Photos.

Just wanted to let you know before anyone uploaded it as hot and it got rejected.

Some personal observations and suggestions to make your photo standout. Lets face it the mounds (if 22L is in use) will be mobbed with spotters taking the same shot. I'm not even sure everyone will fit up there. You might want to try another location, the park on the way to the mounds provides an interesting view or if you're daring, along Rockaway provides a very dramatic shot, however you can't sit and wait for it, you have to time it right pull over shoot and move on. All this is assuming 22s are in use.

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-29, 01:04 PM
Not to get into the spotting planning aspect of it (which will belong in another thread), but will people start getting rejections if their shots are similar to other people next to them?

wunaladreamin
2008-07-29, 01:09 PM
In regards to the crowd at the mounds...I have no problem fighting the elderly, women, or children. Oh, I am also undefeated against midgets and/or little people.

Just sayin'.

moose135
2008-07-29, 01:11 PM
Just don't be tackling any bike riders, Kenny, that will get you in trouble!

adam613
2008-07-29, 01:31 PM
Not to get into the spotting planning aspect of it (which will belong in another thread), but will people start getting rejections if their shots are similar to other people next to them?

Has that ever been an issue before? If you look at my JFK shots this year, for each one, there's about a 90% chance that either Brian or Kenny has the exact same shot in the database... :)

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-29, 01:43 PM
I'm not so concerned about getting the same shots as others. I'm just excited to take a shot to document it, and hang out with the group.

T-Bird76
2008-07-29, 01:50 PM

No we don't have a rule like A.net does about similar when it comes to different photogs. However if a photog uploaded a squence of three from the mounds the chances are only one will be accepted.

NIKV69
2008-07-30, 07:19 AM
No we don't have a rule like A.net does about similar when it comes to different photogs

Hmmm kind of confused Tommy, I don't think this rule exists but if you can find it please post. To my knowledge the baddouble rejection on anet means same plane same day from a similiar angle by the same photog. Sometimes if the shot warrants it two shots from a different angle can be accepted but no rule exists saying if you shoot something next to a few other spotters and it is the same it will be rejected.

SmAlbany
2008-07-30, 07:57 AM
No we don't have a rule like A.net does about similar when it comes to different photogs

Hmmm kind of confused Tommy, I don't think this rule exists but if you can find it please post. To my knowledge the baddouble rejection on anet means same plane same day from a similiar angle by the same photog. Sometimes if the shot warrants it two shots from a different angle can be accepted but no rule exists saying if you shoot something next to a few other spotters and it is the same it will be rejected.

In the case where multiple photogs have the same shot on the same day, I assume it could lead to 'common' rejections rather than 'double'

NIKV69
2008-07-30, 09:06 AM
In the case where multiple photogs have the same shot on the same day, I assume it could lead to 'common' rejections rather than 'double'

This is incorrect. The baddouble rejection pertains to # of shots in the DB of a subject, not a group of photogs shooting the same subject.

nwafan20
2008-07-30, 09:14 AM

This is incorrect. The baddouble rejection pertains to # of shots in the DB of a subject, not a group of photogs shooting the same subject.

I know a few people who have gotten rejections and then appealed saying they have never shot the plane.... Lost the appeals because there are "many shots in the database of the plane at the same airport from similar angles"

It has happened

T-Bird76
2008-07-30, 09:23 AM
Our screening tools on Jetphotos only looks at photos uploaded by you and only you. So if there's 20s guys out on Friday and all 20 upload the same shot of the A380 and the shots meet out standards we'll accept them regardless if its a common shot. Remember we look for reasosn to accept a picture rather then reject.

Derf
2008-07-30, 10:19 AM
I will be praying for all your acceptance......ENGINE FIRE, ENGINE FIRE, ENGINE FIRE....

I know I am a bad person, I do not need a reply to tell me :wink: :borat:

Please excuse the term....HAPPY HUNTING! :borat:

stuart schechter
2008-07-30, 10:30 AM

I know a few people who have gotten rejections and then appealed saying they have never shot the plane.... Lost the appeals because there are "many shots in the database of the plane at the same airport from similar angles"

It has happened

It's happened to me...

PHL Approach
2008-07-30, 05:07 PM
Tommy, I agree it would be great for people to really spread out. I'll be there with Jordan Greene and Nick Bartolotta. I've never been into standing next to a bunch of people to get a shot. Sure the atmosphere is great but who wants to have the same shot as 20 other people. So I'll be scouting for something where not a lot of people are there.

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-30, 05:22 PM
For me, I couldn't care less about the pics. It's great to share the experience of the event with people I don't get to hang out with enough.

I can't wait to upload as a hot photo to JP just to spite Tommy. Mine get rejected no matter what anyway. haha

wunaladreamin
2008-07-30, 05:26 PM
You wanna spite Tommy? Just upload a piping hot cup of black joe lol.

Iberia A340-600
2008-08-01, 02:14 AM
I've never really worried or cared about having the same picture as the person standing next to me, tends to happen a lot at Firestone but when I was spotting at Heathrow with 80 other spotters on any given day I tried my best to get a unique and different shot then everyone else.

However going through the databases I've still come across many pictures that look identical to the shots I took on the same day. I got the sense that a quarter of the 80 people were taking pictures for their general collection and another quarter were just writing down the registrations. Then there were the select few shooting with 600mm lens when I was having trouble with an 18-200mm at the same spot!

The fact that I was surrounded by 80 people on a weekday afternoon was shocking to me but regardless of getting the same shot as John Doe standing next to me it was still worth it to be surrounded by so many members of the spotting community, like I hope to experience tomorrow!

T-Bird76
2008-08-02, 08:37 AM
After more discussions with the Sr. Screeners at JP.net we will be taking your A380 shots for the next 24 hours as HOT. All A380 shots that were in the que as of about 1 AM Eastern time have been accepted providing they meet the guidelines of JP.net.