PDA

View Full Version : To Anyone Driving Westbound LIE at Exit 31 Today...

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-21, 11:52 AM
If anyone is driving on the westbound LIE around the area of the Cross Island exit, let me know if you see a truck tire around there, and I'll go get it.

My truck became a tricycle for a little bit the other night, like a scene out of COPS. Had a wobbling feel and noise from the front right tire while going through Nassau. Pulled over...not a flat. Tried to shake the tires and didn't sense anything loose at that time, nor any damage to the axle. I just wanted to get it into Queens first....which I did and just over the border, the tire separated. Some sparks, and the tire continued on for who knows how far.

I was in control the whole time, and wasn't going fast, already had my flashers on, so there was little danger other than being disabled in the right lane of the LIE (no shoulder right there where I was). I kept it straight down the lane the whole time, but just had to apply a little rudder :wink:. I just sat in the truck until police and a tow truck came. It all went fairly smoothly considering, and I was back at home less than an hour after it happened.

Turns out the wheel studs had broken somehow, so the initial repair was a cheap fix. The hub seemed fine. I might go back to see if I can find the tire tonight, otherwise I'll get a full set of new tires and rims, which I was about to do anyway. Lucky it wasn't worse in terms of safety and cost.

Good times!

Lezam
2008-07-21, 12:53 PM
I don't know if they were yours, but there were huge pieces of truck tire just sitting on the eastbound kissena blvd off ramp this morning. Maybe they flew across with the wind :)

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-21, 01:07 PM
Nah, mine was fully intact....rim and all.

mirrodie
2008-07-21, 01:29 PM
Wow Phil, that is some scary stuff.
Glad to hear you are OK.

T-Bird76
2008-07-21, 02:51 PM
Wow Phil, that is some scary stuff.
Glad to hear you are OK.

See now I would have expected this kind of story from you..considering how worn your side walls are ;)

moose135
2008-07-21, 02:59 PM
"You picked a fine time to leave me, loose wheel" :D

God, I can't believe I just wrote that! :oops:

Matt Molnar
2008-07-21, 03:51 PM
...while going through Nassau.
Poor truck, no wonder. You may as well have been driving through Sierra Leone.

lijk604
2008-07-22, 02:42 PM
"You picked a fine time to leave me, loose wheel" :D

God, I can't believe I just wrote that! :oops:

Considering you stole that line from Daryl Waltrip, I can't believe you did either. :lol: