PDA

View Full Version : USAF Brass Using Anti-Terror Funds for Posh Plane Pods

Matt Molnar
2008-07-19, 03:27 PM
Washington Post:

Terrorism Funds May Let Brass Fly in Style (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/17/AR2008071703161.html)
Luxury Pods for Air Force Debated

The Air Force's top leadership sought for three years to spend counterterrorism funds on "comfort capsules" to be installed on military planes that ferry senior officers and civilian leaders around the world, with at least four top generals involved in design details such as the color of the capsules' carpet and leather chairs, according to internal e-mails and budget documents.

Production of the first capsule -- consisting of two sealed rooms that can fit into the fuselage of a large military aircraft -- has already begun. [Full Article (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/17/AR2008071703161.html)]

moose135
2008-07-19, 03:51 PM
I read about that yesterday, just unbelievable. Between "accidentally" flying nukes around the country, shipping missile warhead parts to Taiwan, the tanker debacle, and now this, it makes me sad to think about what has happened to my Air Force. I think it may be time for some extensive house-cleaning at the senior levels beyond the most recent changes.

USAF Pilot 07
2008-07-20, 11:09 AM
I think it may be time for some extensive house-cleaning at the senior levels beyond the most recent changes.

A feeling shared by many - especially mid-level officers - in the Air Force.

As for the comfort capsules... I can see the justification for them. You've got senior level "ceo" types of people traveling around frequently - sometimes in and out of the AOR a dozen times a month. They should have a place where they can get business done and not waste 10 hours - a whole day - doing nothing. The problem is that these senior leaders are too busy worrying about the color scheme and design of these capsules and are spending more than what is necessary.

In this case the misappropriation of funds from anti-terrorism dollars to this is a huge no-no.