PDA

View Full Version : Pulled a back muscle

stuart schechter
2008-07-15, 09:30 PM
So I was at work and pulled a muscle in my back. I want to get back to work as quick as I can and I have been icing and putting heat on my back. Anything else I can do to speed the recovery process?

Gerard
2008-07-15, 09:34 PM
So I was at work and pulled a muscle in my back. I want to get back to work as quick as I can and I have been icing and putting heat on my back. Anything else I can do to speed the recovery process?

Advil usually works for me.

stuart schechter
2008-07-15, 09:38 PM
Whoops, I forgot to mention, I have been on a regiment of Advil but it still just hurts like a (something I can't say on the internet)!

mirrodie
2008-07-15, 09:42 PM
Stretch. as much as you can. if you have a pull up bar, or something akin to that, grab it and hang from it in order to stretch the back muscle out

if not better by AM, seek a chiropractor

or stronger meds.

wunaladreamin
2008-07-15, 10:26 PM
A shot of Bacardi 151 with a few drops of tobasco usually does it for me. My back might still hurt, but I won't care. Feel better bro.

Gerard
2008-07-15, 10:36 PM
or stronger meds.[/quote]

Careful if they prescribe muscle relaxents. They can help but make you sleepy.

T-Bird76
2008-07-16, 12:18 PM
Start with not taking any advice from the above posts...that's not to dis anyone but simply because someone's solution works for them it may not work for you. You don't want to do something that can screw up your back anymore then it is. If it's really bothering you go see your Doctor.

kc2aqg
2008-07-16, 12:28 PM
I think the above users said it best, stretch it out, use hot & cold packs, perhaps soak in a hot tub or warm bath while stretching as well. If it doesn't start to get better after a day or two, then definitely see a doctor.

I like Kenny's approach best, but only with Tequila! (Note: I am not encouraging underage drinking Stuart!) Feel better man.

T-Bird76
2008-07-16, 01:37 PM
I think the above users said it best, stretch it out, use hot & cold packs, perhaps soak in a hot tub or warm bath while stretching as well. If it doesn't start to get better after a day or two, then definitely see a doctor.

I like Kenny's approach best, but only with Tequila! (Note: I am not encouraging underage drinking Stuart!) Feel better man.

Stretching in some cases can greatly complicate the injury and cause more damage if not done properly. Put things in perspective....back injury advice is being given by an Eye doctor, MTA Police officer and an IT Consultant...you're all great in your respective professions but if you walked into your doctor's office and Kenny was there in his uniform and knight stick you'd be heading for the door ;) Yes I know I'm a prick but this is from someone who had back surgery and know the serious nature of back injuries.... Stuart goes see your doctor.

mirrodie
2008-07-16, 02:22 PM
Hey. Baby got back.

tom's right. Don;t substitute my advice for a professional opinion.

I'd recommend a chiropractor for an evaluation and if surgery is needed, then you can look into other options. But begin with a chiro. you can in and out usually same day.

I don not recommend an MD simply b/c the first thing you will get, in my experience, is a Rx for pain killer, which does not attend to the underlying cause.

stuart schechter
2008-07-16, 03:34 PM
Tommy, the only reason I asked was because I wanted to see if what I was told by my parents was what other people did. I went to the doctor and he said i strained a back muscle, gave me codine and muscle relaxants. I'm gonna go sleep for a while.

RDU-JFK
2008-07-16, 03:40 PM
Feel better dude!

Lezam
2008-07-16, 04:34 PM
Muscle relaxants are the bomb! Enjoy em, and make sure you dont get hooked. Seriously.

stuart schechter
2008-07-16, 05:11 PM
I'm above the influence :borat:

cancidas
2008-07-16, 05:15 PM
Stretch. as much as you can. if you have a pull up bar, or something akin to that, grab it and hang from it in order to stretch the back muscle out

or stronger meds.
depending on how you sleep you could try to put a pillow under your knees to straighten out your spine a bit. this way your spine and your back muscles are in a more natural alignment. it's helped me a lot, but it's also nice to get your legs up. makes for a more comfortable sleep...

i'll say it again though, if it really starts to bother you then see a doc.

emshighway
2008-07-16, 06:55 PM
It is ice for first 24 then heat.

I don't suggest a chiropractor as they are not physicians and they only work on aligning your back. An Osteopath is a physician who works on manipulating the muscles and entire body then aligns if needed.

The foremost Osteopath is in Syosset. He is the past president of the OSO (which is equal to the AMA) and Associate Chairman of the New York College of Osteopathic Medicine. He has also written several books and lectures at many colleges.

Dennis J. Dowling, DO, MA
575 Underhill Blvd Ste 126
Syosset, NY 11791-3416
Phone: (516) 364-7565

emshighway
2008-07-16, 07:10 PM
Oh I forgot to mention I have used him often and he has help me greatly...

and he is my brother. :wink:

stuart schechter
2008-07-17, 02:08 AM
Cancidas and EMS, as I said above, I already saw my osteopath, who is taking care of my scoliosis and these topical pads, there great!

emshighway
2008-07-17, 09:47 AM
Cancidas and EMS, as I said above, I already saw my osteopath, who is taking care of my scoliosis and these topical pads, there great!

Stuart, you said you went to see a doctor not an osteopath. A doctor won't do what a osteopath would do (as you already know). Is he doing any manipulation?

An injury will take as long as is needed to work itself through. A sprain is tearing of the ligaments. A strain is tearing of muscles or tendons which needs time to heal itself. Trying to force the matter may just make it worse. The osteopath can help if the muscles are spasming which could be the cause of your pain.

Your Osteopath doesn't happen to be Dr. Gleyzer?