PDA

View Full Version : Another Kalitta 747 crashes

AirtrafficController
2008-07-07, 10:53 AM
News reports indicate that a Kalitta Air 747 crashed in Bogota, Colombia. The aircraft apparently suffered an engine failure during take-off. The flight crew decided to divert back to the airport but never made it. The aircaft crashed on approach killing two people on the ground. All members of the flight crew were rescued.

http://colombiareports.com/2008/07/07/a ... ar-bogota/ (http://colombiareports.com/2008/07/07/airplane-crash-kills-at-least-two-near-bogota/)
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u317/AirtrafficController/311xInlineGallery.jpg

Matt Molnar
2008-07-07, 10:55 AM
Wow, not a good year for the Kalitta family.

T-Bird76
2008-07-07, 11:05 AM
WOW.... Kalitta is really having a bad year... Wouldn't be surprised if their MX program is looked into now. Two crashes this close to each other, something is up or these planes are simply becoming to old to fly.

nwafan20
2008-07-07, 12:38 PM
Wow.... Very sad for the Kalittas.

I dont think it is the age of their planes or the maintenance program, both are top-notch. It is probably just an unlucky turn of events.

TallDutch
2008-07-07, 12:51 PM
Seems to be the N714CK

wunaladreamin
2008-07-07, 01:08 PM
Jesus Christ what a bad stretch for that family.

njgtr82
2008-07-07, 01:32 PM
I dont think it is the age of their planes or the maintenance program, both are top-notch.

You know this how? This plane was 27 years old.

lijk604
2008-07-07, 01:33 PM
Just a sad situation. How much tragedy must one family endure?

nwafan20
2008-07-07, 01:56 PM
I dont think it is the age of their planes or the maintenance program, both are top-notch.

Kalitta is based at Willow Run, Michigan. I know a few of their mechanics, and believe me they know their stuff. Just like NW's DC-9's their 747-200's are well maintained.

njgtr82
2008-07-07, 02:20 PM

Kalitta is based at Willow Run, Michigan. I know a few of their mechanics, and believe me they know their stuff. Just like NW's DC-9's their 747-200's are well maintained.

But you knowing so much about aircraft maintenance would know who know's their stuff and could spot a shady operation a mile away right? Get real, you know absolutely nothing about it and should keep stuff like that to yourself. I'm not saying I do, because I don't. And neither do you.

nwafan20
2008-07-07, 02:48 PM
But you knowing so much about aircraft maintenance would know who know's their stuff and could spot a shady operation a mile away right? Get real, you know absolutely nothing about it and should keep stuff like that to yourself. I'm not saying I do, because I don't. And neither do you.

Whoa..... No need to spaz on me. If you look I didn't state "It is NOT the age or maintenance" I said "I don't think" I am allowed to hold an opinion, and I feel that the men and woman of the Kalitta operations are very professional. I did not say that isn't what caused it, I said I don't THINK it was the cause. I think it is just another accident, things happen (but then again, i'm not an expert so I am not allowed to have an opinion, right?)

You seriously need to take a chill pill, I have seen people say much more outlandish things on here (like NW is actually trying to cause accidents with their DC-9's so they can get the insurance write-off).... So please back off!

I don't know you personally, nor am I an expert in aircraft maintenance (faaaar from it), but I think it was a perfectly fair assessment and thought!

AirtrafficController
2008-07-07, 03:20 PM
Here is a video of the crash site. I still wonder how all 8 crew members survived after watching this video.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/ ... nnSTCVideo (http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/07/07/colombia.crash.ap/index.html#cnnSTCVideo)

Matt Molnar
2008-07-07, 03:37 PM
More oddity: Two crashes by two small airlines based at the same small Michigan airport in two Latin American countries in two days. (The USA Jet DC-9 that crashed in Mexico yesterday was also based at YIP.)

Lezam
2008-07-07, 03:54 PM
Wow, look at the video... its upside down. Can you imagine rolling over in a 747?

njgtr82
2008-07-07, 11:56 PM

Whoa..... No need to spaz on me. If you look I didn't state "It is NOT the age or maintenance" I said "I don't think" I am allowed to hold an opinion, and I feel that the men and woman of the Kalitta operations are very professional. I did not say that isn't what caused it, I said I don't THINK it was the cause. I think it is just another accident, things happen (but then again, i'm not an expert so I am not allowed to have an opinion, right?)

You seriously need to take a chill pill, I have seen people say much more outlandish things on here (like NW is actually trying to cause accidents with their DC-9's so they can get the insurance write-off).... So please back off!

I don't know you personally, nor am I an expert in aircraft maintenance (faaaar from it), but I think it was a perfectly fair assessment and thought!

My point is you have zero knowledge of this aircraft, Kalitta's maintenance program, or the maintenance it has received. But you go as far as calling it "top notch." How? I can't make any type of opinion about something I know nothing about. But again, you wouldn't know proper maintenance if you saw it firsthand, so how you can make this statement is beyond me. Also other people making false stupid comments has nothing to do with this. Maybe you should have pointed it out to them how inappropriate it was if you felt it was so incorrect.

nwafan20
2008-07-08, 12:03 AM
My point is you have zero knowledge of this aircraft, Kalitta's maintenance program, or the maintenance it has received. But you go as far as calling it "top notch." How? I can't make any type of opinion about something I know nothing about. But again, you wouldn't know proper maintenance if you saw it firsthand, so how you can make this statement is beyond me. Also other people making false stupid comments has nothing to do with this. Maybe you should have pointed it out to them how inappropriate it was if you felt it was so incorrect.

All I was saying is (as knowing some of their staff) I feel that their maintenance program is solid, nothing more nothing less. You really do seem to have a grudge against me for some reason.

Oh, and P.S. I did "point it out" when someone made those comments, so maybe YOU should not go and make these ASSUMPTIONS without knowledge of the event!

I hold nothing against you, I don't know why you have something against me. All I did was state my opinion, and then you snapped... This is feeling a bit like some A.net threads!

Delta777LR
2008-07-08, 01:36 AM
What a bad time for Kalitta Air.. I cant believe that another one crashed a few months after the Brussels incident. But thank god the crew survived the crash though..

wunaladreamin
2008-07-08, 07:34 AM
Is this really the right thread for a pissing match?

mirrodie
2008-07-08, 02:41 PM
Ladies, please. You are both beautiful.

Mateo
2008-07-08, 07:40 PM
Don't forget Kalitta also dunked an engine into one of the Great Lakes in the last couple of years.

I won't say anything one way or the other about the quality of their mx work, but when maintenance comes directly out of the pocket of the owner of a small private airline, it's much different than when the money you're using comes off of the shareholder equity side of the balance sheet of a public company.

G-BOAD
2008-07-08, 09:42 PM
Very Sad. It reminds me of the photos from PanAm 103, with the 747 forward section on its side. Its amazing the crew survived. My condolences to those who died on the ground.

mirrodie
2008-07-09, 01:06 AM
nwa and njg, seriously, I think njg makes a good point but it just came off a little harsh.

Hope you can both come away with a better understanding.

njgtr82
2008-07-09, 02:49 AM
nwa and njg, seriously, I think njg makes a good point but it just came off a little harsh.

Hope you can both come away with a better understanding.

Mario, this wasn't meant to be a personal attack to him. Nwa sorry if it seemed that way, but comments like that in my opinion have no business being posted. Thats how false info spreads very quickly.