PDA

View Full Version : Some New Embraer Action from US Airways

LGA777
2008-06-30, 10:12 PM
Starting this Thursday July 3rd US Airways will have one flight a day at LGA (weekdays only) with the Embraer E-190. While the 190 has made several visits to LGA before at US on equipment subs this is the first regulary scheduled service.

Flight 1288 arrives from PIT at 0823 and departs back to PIT at 0920 as US 1539 and replaces the current A-319 on this flight. It is assigned Gate 21 so will be visible from the upper level roadway at the US Terminal.

Those who are regular JFK Spotters may already know this but since early June the 3 US Express Mesa CRJ-900's to and from CLT are now operated by Republic with the E-175.

Looking forward to some good photo's of these new visitors to both airports.

Regards

LGA777

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2008-07-01, 01:07 AM
Why doesn't US use mainline for JFK-CLT?

LGA777
2008-07-01, 11:03 AM
Why doesn't US use mainline for JFK-CLT?
I guess the same reason US uses Mesa and Republic to serve around 50 markets out of CLT that used to be Mainline. And the same reason CO does not fly JFK-CLE with Mainline and UA JFK-IAD etc, etc. It's called the domestic Airline industry in the mid to late 2000's.

Anotherwords it is much cheaper to have Republic fly the route.

Regards

LGA777

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2008-07-01, 11:57 AM
Really? I thought that it was becoming cheaper for mainline nowadays. The reason why I am wondering is because JFK is a huge market, and I would think they could fill an A320 or two from CLT.

moose135
2008-07-01, 03:40 PM
Really? I thought that it was becoming cheaper for mainline nowadays. The reason why I am wondering is because JFK is a huge market, and I would think they could fill an A320 or two from CLT.
Take a look here:
http://www.aviationinterviews.com/compare_pay_rates.php

According to their chart, a first year CRJ-200 FO at Mesa earns just over $20K, up to around $33K after 8 years (don't know if you would be there that long) A CRJ-200 Captain starts at $49K, and a CRJ-900 Captain tops out at $94K (at 20 years!) By comparison, at US, a FO starts around $21K in most equipment, but jumps to $50K+ in year two. For the most part, Captains top out at $100K+ When you can pay RJ pilots a fraction of the pay of mainline pilots, not to mention FAs, and everything else associated with it, you can see why it's cheaper to run an RJ.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2008-07-01, 11:17 PM
i didn't think about salaries, I was thinking along the lines of fuel.

LGA777
2008-07-01, 11:40 PM
The majority of the people flying between CLT and NYC prefer LGA, with EWR as a second choice.

There are more passengers originating in CLT that would perhaps need JFK for an International connection that before JFK would fly US or LH nonstop, US thru PHL, or DL thru ATL (even though it's out of the way) than go to JFK on US and change airlines to get to Europe.

Again another reason it is not a ML market. And when it was I recal ONE 737-200 a day, the demand is just not their unless you use a B6 cost structure and fares. That is just not profitable for US.

LGA777

DHG750R
2008-07-01, 11:41 PM
Back in the 80's and early 90's ( Yea Im old :lol: ) USAirways had as many as 30 flights a day at JFK , about half were mainline.. for the most part , the loads were decent. Naturally there was 2 or 3 flights from 6am until about 3pm . Then it was busy time from 3-9pm with all the International connections.

The pullback bagan in earnest when the competition really began to pick up : Eagle , BizEx , Delta really began it's JFK buildup .

We went down to 1 flight a day from 1992-1996 (a MCO codeshare with ANA) and none after that , until recently with the merger.