PDA

View Full Version : History at Shea Last Night (Not the Good Kind)

Matt Molnar
2008-06-24, 10:07 AM
The first home run ever hit by a Seattle Mariners pitcher, and the first grand slam by an American League pitcher in 37 years. Off Johan Santana.

KOoBFoGyxDI

All thanks to two errors by David Wright. The runs were unearned.

NIKV69
2008-06-24, 10:16 AM
LOL, with your ace on the mound not to mention first pitch he was just sitting heat down the middle. By the look at his swing he is not a stranger to the batter's box. Nice bit of coaching by the mets. Should of known this guy was not an easy out. Let's go METS!

adam613
2008-06-24, 11:25 AM
That's unbelievable. Now I know why all of the Mets fans in my office are so pissed off today.

moose135
2008-06-24, 11:56 AM
By the look at his swing he is not a stranger to the batter's box. Nice bit of coaching by the mets. Should of known this guy was not an easy out. Let's go METS!
http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/hernafe02.shtml

He has had 9 at bats in his major league career, including last night (11 total plate appearances). He has struck out 6 of those 9 times, and has one other hit, a single, before last night.

From the Newsday story:

"I tried to give him a high fastball, hoping he'd pop it up," Santana said. "But he got a good swing on it." Some luck was involved. "It seemed to me when he swung, he closed his eyes, and then it jumped off his bat," Santana said.

NIKV69
2008-06-24, 02:45 PM
"But he got a good swing on it."

Understatement of the year.

Some luck was involved. "It seemed to me when he swung, he closed his eyes, and then it jumped off his bat," Santana said.

Hmmm, funny but I watched the video 10 times and he sure looks to me like he is sitting on a heater right down broadway and just murders it with a pretty good swing with his eyes open. I guess when your the ace of your team and some pitcher goes opposite field for a grand salami your bound to say something like that.

wunaladreamin
2008-06-24, 04:28 PM
Awesome. I can't fricken wait to see the tricks Jerry's kids use to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory tonight. I'm almost ready to save the gas money and watch from my living room. What an abortion.

moose135
2008-06-24, 05:31 PM
Hmmm, funny but I watched the video 10 times...
Wow, it must be a really slow day on the golf course :wink: