PDA

View Full Version : Lanes Reopen After Small Plane That Landed On I-95 Takes Off

wunaladreamin
2008-06-18, 05:51 PM
No, I'm not kidding...

[quote]
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/photo/2008-06/40087520.jpg

A small plane has made an emergency landing on Interstate 95 in north Volusia County. The plane landed in the southbound lanes, apparently between the 271 and 272 mile markers, not far from the Ormond Beach Municipal Airport. This photo comes from a state DOT camera. (FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION / June 17, 2008)

Gary Taylor | Sentinel Staff Writer
5:40 PM EDT, June 17, 2008

The southbound lanes of Interstate 95 in north Volusia County have just reopened after being closed so a plane could take off from the highway.

A 1977 Cessna C150 landed just before noon after an oil pressure light came on, said Sgt. Jorge Delahoz of the Florida Highway Patrol. An instructor and a student pilot were aboard the plane on a training flight at the time, Delahoz said. Neither was hurt.

State troopers identified the pilot of the plane as Eric McRee and the student pilot as Craig Highes. Their ages and hometowns were not released.

The plane landed just south of U.S. Highway 1, between mile markers 271 and 272, not far from the Ormond Beach Municipal Airport. It was parked in the median for more than three hours while traffic has continued to flow at a crawl through the area.

cancidas
2008-06-18, 08:29 PM
i know someone who did that after losing his engine climbing out of PRC. i think it was a riddle-diddle C172 he as flying at the time too... glad nobody was hurt.