PDA

View Full Version : Red Arrows to visit Republic Airport

Greg_NY
2008-06-15, 01:01 PM
According to a post on airshowbuzz.com, the British Red Arrows are stopping by Republic Airport on June 25th.

This should be interesting.

Anyone know any more about this?

This is the post :

http://www.airshowbuzz.com/forums/index ... entry63369 (http://www.airshowbuzz.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1740&st=360&p=63369&#entry63369)

cancidas
2008-06-15, 01:55 PM
wow! i should read those forums more often... this is great, especially since i'm off from US that day...

Greg_NY
2008-06-15, 02:03 PM
It's also posted on their official site:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/teamnews/ind ... 074247A3F6 (http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/teamnews/index.cfm?storyid=80D4B24A-1143-EC82-2EE16C074247A3F6)

I plan on taking that day off <G>

Nick
2008-06-15, 05:32 PM
Great, I'll be on orders at Gabreski. :/

Steven Holzinger
2008-06-15, 07:19 PM
Guys... the Reds' show is absolutely SPECTACULAR!!!

moose135
2008-06-15, 08:07 PM
Cool! I was wondering if they were going to drop in to FRG. Looks like I'll be spending some time around the old air patch :) I don't understand this line on the schedule though:
25 June Display South Beach, New York

Where is "South Beach, NY", and is it a full demo or just a fly over?

GrummanFan
2008-06-15, 08:28 PM
Last I heard, there was only going to be a flyover somewhere near NYC, though the term "display" could mean anything.

I know there were some "hush-hush" rumors about the Republic visit a few weeks ago, but I'm glad to see an official posting well in advance of the actual event!

moose135
2008-06-15, 08:31 PM
I remember hearing about a flyover around NYC, which was why I was hoping for an FRG visit.

mirrodie
2008-06-15, 08:50 PM
I got the following email from my friend in London 2 months ago. I think its pertinent.

Two Airshows in the US will Host the RAF RED ARROWS one is fairly close to you!

Rhode Island Air National Guard has confirmed the Red Arrows at their show June 28-29!

Langley AFB has confirmed the Red Arrows for June 21-22!

cancidas
2008-06-15, 09:03 PM
i'm going to be in OQU! SWEET!

h2opunk1822
2008-06-15, 09:11 PM
from what i have red at work.. is they will be staying over night in FRG.. b/c we have parking instructions and everything else.. haha ive been told to keep it quiet.. but since its out.. ill find out more as it comes in

Tom_Turner
2008-06-15, 10:03 PM
South Beach is in Staten Island. :D

From what I read, it is a full demo and not a fly over.

Tom

Cool! I was wondering if they were going to drop in to FRG. Looks like I'll be spending some time around the old air patch :) I don't understand this line on the schedule though:
25 June Display South Beach, New York

Where is "South Beach, NY", and is it a full demo or just a fly over?

Greg_NY
2008-06-15, 10:19 PM
Found more info:

http://www.icap.com/news-events/red-arrows-event.aspx

It is a full demo and will be at 6:30PM...

njgtr82
2008-06-15, 10:45 PM
Great news, I'm on vacation this week. They tried to arrange to do a show over the Statue of Liberty but it was gonna be a logistical nightmare from the air traffic perspective.

heeshung
2008-06-15, 10:56 PM
That timing's perfect. It isn't on their website for some reason.

EDIT: Oh, wait... I just read it more in depth..

Tom_Turner
2008-06-16, 08:20 AM
Unlike many air-shows in our area, provided the weather is cooperative, the sun should be, more or less, at your back.

Tom

nikon50bigma
2008-06-16, 10:46 AM
South Beach is in Staten Island. :D

From what I read, it is a full demo and not a fly over.

Tom

Where is "South Beach, NY", and is it a full demo or just a fly over?[/quote]

The one time I'm thankful for living here!
I'll be there!!
I just saw these guys up in Quebec, let me say their show is on par if not better than the Blues and T-birds.

cancidas
2008-06-16, 11:12 AM
any idea what time they'd be arriving at FRG? i'm assuming sometime in the late morning/early afternoon due to the transit from OQU. since they'll be based up there i'm guessing that they'll depart the morning of the 26th. i'm wondering if it's more worth it for me to just go to the SI show and shoot that as opposed to the arrival/departure from FRG. i'll be there in the morning but not very long, have to make it to class as well.

wunaladreamin
2008-06-16, 11:14 AM
Can anyone advise driving directions from the Belt?

nikon50bigma
2008-06-16, 12:54 PM
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/south+beac ... :25:::::/e (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/south+beach:staten+island+ny/#a/search/l:::Staten+Island:NY::US:40.583328:-74.150002:city:Richmond+County/m::9:40.585253:-74.10883:0::/so:South+Beach:::d::25:::::/e)

Wanula, thse are some areas near the beach.
Also does anyone know if there will be any formal "show center" markings because the beach stretches for a couple of miles?
Whos goin to SI maybe we can have a little nycavation meet up?

Matt Molnar
2008-06-16, 01:14 PM
Why would they do this on a Wednesday? :(

MORS-AB-ALTO
2008-06-16, 02:06 PM
I've known about the Republic visit and NYC display for quite some time from my friends on the UK messageboards. Anyone who has not seen them display and cannot make it to Langley or Quonset needs to take the trip accross the Verrazano. You will not be disappointed! Since I'm going up to RI the 28-29 I'll hanging around Farmingdale on Wed/THU I can only imagine what their routine would be like if they had Eurofighter Typhoons.

wunaladreamin
2008-06-16, 02:11 PM
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/south+beach:staten+island+ny/#a/search/l:::Staten+Island:NY::US:40.583328:-74.150002:city:Richmond+County/m::9:40.585253:-74.10883:0::/so:South+Beach:::d::25:::::/e

Wanula, thse are some areas near the beach.
Also does anyone know if there will be any formal "show center" markings because the beach stretches for a couple of miles?
Whos goin to SI maybe we can have a little nycavation meet up?
Thanks!

Good call on the "show center." Anyone have any details on that?

Tom_Turner
2008-06-16, 06:02 PM
All things being equal, the "center" of most South Beach events is Sand Lane. If this is really going to be "South Beach" then its got to be pretty much between Sand Lane and Seaview Avenue.

Tom

nikon50bigma
2008-06-16, 06:14 PM
Near the flag circle with all the dolphins?

Tom_Turner
2008-06-16, 06:34 PM
Near the flag circle with all the dolphins?

Yeah, thats what is it "should" be...you'd think. If we don't get anything concrete on this, I would recommend just seeing where the buses taking in the folks from Manhattan via the Homeport pier, are going to park. That might be an indication.

Tom

GrummanFan
2008-06-16, 07:56 PM
Well, the ICAP viewing area will be a "Private area on South Beach, Staten Island adjacent to the Vanderbilt restaurant." Find said restaurant and stand next to the area with all of the free food that you can't get into, and you should be pretty close to show center.

What I will probably do is hang out around southern Manhattan for the day, then eventually take the ferry over to Staten Island, ride the rails to Old Town station, then walk about a mile and a half from there to the beach. I've never been to SI, does this itinerary sound reasonable?

Tom_Turner
2008-06-16, 08:56 PM
Well, the ICAP viewing area will be a "Private area on South Beach, Staten Island adjacent to the Vanderbilt restaurant." Find said restaurant and stand next to the area with all of the free food that you can't get into, and you should be pretty close to show center.

What I will probably do is hang out around southern Manhattan for the day, then eventually take the ferry over to Staten Island, ride the rails to Old Town station, then walk about a mile and a half from there to the beach. I've never been to SI, does this itinerary sound reasonable?

There is the Vanderbuilt OF South Beach featured here...
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_loc=149 ... sland%2CNY (http://www.yelp.com/search?find_loc=149+Waterbury+Ave%2CStaten+Island% 2CNY)
This is i149 Waterbury Ave in Huguenot - by Wolf's Pond Park, which IS ultimately along the Staten Island shoreline, but this is NOT the place .....

We want..
The Vanderbuilt AT South Beach.. featured here..
http://www.weddingsitesandservices.com/ ... Beach.html (http://www.weddingsitesandservices.com/New_York/ReceptionSites/StatenIsland_Brooklyn_Queens/New_York/StatenIsland/TheVanderbiltatSouthBeach.html)
300 Father Capodanno Blvd.

So, don't anyone please get in a cab and say "Take me to the Vanderbuilt..."

Yes, it will be by the Dolphin Water fountains... The good news.. There shouldn't be any significant advantage to this "show center", to be at the Vanderbuilt.. plenty of room in the parking lots, boardwalk and beach on all sides.

Tom

Tom_Turner
2008-06-16, 09:06 PM

Grummanfan - That'll work, but I would suggest taking one of the buses from the St George Ferry Terminal....

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/bussi.pdf

51, 52, 81 ... but give yourself extra time. I am not familiar with them in recent years, but the buses and trains are not as frequent as they are in Brooklyn or Manhattan, etc.

Tom

Gerard
2008-06-16, 10:07 PM
I can forget SI but I'll probably go over to FRG Wed night to catch them returning. That is if they are returning that night.
BTw do they have a support plane like the Angels C-130?

wunaladreamin
2008-06-17, 07:31 AM
I believe their support bird is a C17. I'm not sure I'll be able to make it out to SI either, but I definitely want to catch them at FRG.

nikon50bigma
2008-06-17, 09:25 AM

Grummanfan - That'll work, but I would suggest taking one of the buses from the St George Ferry Terminal....

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/bussi.pdf

51, 52, 81 ... but give yourself extra time. I am not familiar with them in recent years, but the buses and trains are not as frequent as they are in Brooklyn or Manhattan, etc.

Tom

Yeah, deffiantly give youself some extra time. The busses on SI aren't the best in regards to schedule because of traffic.

MORS-AB-ALTO
2008-06-17, 06:58 PM
I believe their support bird is a C17. I'm not sure I'll be able to make it out to SI either, but I definitely want to catch them at FRG.

Support aircraft is indeed a C-17 from RAF 99 Squadron. Doubt we'll see her at Republic though.

cancidas
2008-06-17, 11:51 PM

Support aircraft is indeed a C-17 from RAF 99 Squadron. Doubt we'll see her at Republic though.
i wouldn't be so quick to say no. the longest runway at SNS is only 6004 ft and there are going to be 24/7 C-17 operations there for two weeks in july. FRG's 6827 ft-long 14/32 can easily lauch and recover the C-17, the only factor there would be ramp space.

yes guys, that's wishful thinking...

Steven Holzinger
2008-06-18, 12:09 PM
Can't believe I have the day off... so that means I'm heading up to see them fly! To make things go full circle, I will be covering ALL of the Reds' performances in North America this year!!

SengaB
2008-06-18, 12:10 PM
I have been picking up these Red Arrow Aircraft on ACARS.

ACARS mode: B Aircraft reg: HAWK01D
Message label: _ Block id: 5 Msg. no: S21A
Flight id: UV0001
-----------------------------------------------------------[11/06/2008 09:52]
ACARS mode: 2 Aircraft reg: HAWK1 [-]
Message label: 5V Block id: 5 Msg no: S34A
Flight id: UV0001 [unknown] [Universal Aviation]
----------------------------------------------------------[ 31/05/2008 11:49 ]-
ACARS mode: 2 Aircraft reg: HAWK1 [-]
Message label: 5V Block id: 4 Msg no: S10A
Flight id: UV0001 [unknown] [Universal Aviation]
----------------------------------------------------------[ 18/06/2008 11:01 ]-

MORS-AB-ALTO
2008-06-18, 12:14 PM
No doubt the Republic runway is long enough with the T-birds support C-17's landed in Farmingdale last year. I just don't think it make logistical sense for Reds C-17 to make the trip to KFRG for one day. I do hope I'm wrong though.

Derf
2008-06-18, 01:27 PM
I was told a 4 day stay at Farmingdale...hmmm

nikon50bigma
2008-06-18, 08:12 PM
Can't believe I have the day off... so that means I'm heading up to see them fly! To make things go full circle, I will be covering ALL of the Reds' performances in North America this year!!

I'm guessing you'll be over at the Rhode Island show?

So whos heading out to Staten Island for the show?

cancidas
2008-06-18, 08:19 PM
No doubt the Republic runway is long enough with the T-birds support C-17's landed in Farmingdale last year. I just don't think it make logistical sense for Reds C-17 to make the trip to KFRG for one day. I do hope I'm wrong though.
i would say it does make sense for them. while i don't know what support staff they have on hand when they travel, but if it's anything like that the USN Blues have then with all the mx staff, spares and equip then having that wherever they go would be essential. then again, the blues F-18s are rater dated...

njgtr82
2008-06-18, 11:47 PM
show will be at 6:30 pm
http://www.centredaily.com/business/story/661960.html

Gerard
2008-06-21, 09:18 AM
I was told a 4 day stay at Farmingdale...hmmm

I wonder if they'll do any "practice" run throughs? Or "orientation" flights to familiarize them with the airspace?

Steven Holzinger
2008-06-21, 06:02 PM
I talked to someone today who said that the Reds arrive in FRG that morning, fly their show, return, and depart back to OQU Thursday morning. I'll try and ask a member of the team tomorrow to find out for sure.

BTW they flew a fantastic performance but it was hindered by high winds from the south and as a result of the wildfires near the VA/NC border, the smoke from the said fires really brought down the visibility. Their support C-17 is on static display here... it's ZZ176 and is a brand spanking new C-17!!

nikon50bigma
2008-06-22, 01:41 PM
I talked to someone today who said that the Reds arrive in FRG that morning, fly their show, return, and depart back to OQU Thursday morning. I'll try and ask a member of the team tomorrow to find out for sure.

17!!

Any update on whats going on with on Thursday?

Gerard
2008-06-23, 06:52 PM
Any idea of the runway(s) they will use?

nikon50bigma
2008-06-23, 11:34 PM
I've been reading a lot of stuff on airshowbuzz.com speculating that this will only be a fly over because a full show would disrupt traffic at JFK and LGA.
And no airspace restrictions/closures (NOTAMs or whatever they're called) have been filed/published yet.
So aside from those links can anyone confirm the demo?

Ari707
2008-06-24, 02:24 PM
On 1010 wins .com

British Flying Aces to Put on Show over NYC

NEW YORK (AP) -- The British are coming! The British are coming!

The Royal Air Force aerobatic team, the Red Arrows, will be performing over the skies of New York City on Wednesday night.

Similar to the U.S. Navy Blue Angels or the Air Force Thunderbirds, the nine-pilot Red Arrows team is visiting the city as part of a North American goodwill tour.

The Red Arrows show begins over New York Harbor at 6:30 p.m. and continues for about a half hour.

At 6:58 p.m., the Red Arrows will perform a special flyby of the Statue of Liberty.

The best place for viewing the free show is on the shores of South Beach, on Staten Island.

Greg_NY
2008-06-24, 02:55 PM
Does anyone have any info on what time the Red Arrows are expected to arrive at Republic tomorrow?

moose135
2008-06-24, 04:14 PM
On 1010 wins .com
Great, now all the riff-raff will be out :wink:

Does anyone have any info on what time the Red Arrows are expected to arrive at Republic tomorrow?
Approximately 1pm

T-Bird76
2008-06-24, 04:50 PM
On 1010 wins .com
Great, now all the riff-raff will be out :wink:

I think Phil has a date tomorrow night Moose. ;)

Well for all you whinny NYCers who bitched about Long Island getting an airshow...there's you're Airshow. Are you HAPPY NOW! LOL ;)

nikon50bigma
2008-06-24, 04:59 PM
On 1010 wins .com

British Flying Aces to Put on Show over NYC

NEW YORK (AP) -- The British are coming! The British are coming!

The Red Arrows show begins over New York Harbor at 6:30 p.m. and continues for about a half hour.

The best place for viewing the free show is on the shores of South Beach, on Staten Island.

Don't mean to be OCD, I just want to clarify; NY harbor near the manhatten south ferry terminal?
Or NY harbor meaning South Beach?

Greg_NY
2008-06-24, 08:23 PM
Approximately 1pm

Thanks Moose...

Anyone going to be out at Republic tomorrow?

nikon50bigma
2008-06-24, 10:08 PM
Might make a run there after Staten Island.
Where are they going to be parked, where the Blues were last time?

Gerard
2008-06-24, 10:45 PM
>Anyone going to be out at Republic tomorrow?[/quote]<

I'll be cruising around the area hoping to get a good look of them coming back. That is of course if I get home in time for work.
BTW the weather is supposed to be fantastic tomorrow.

moose135
2008-06-24, 10:48 PM
I plan to be at FRG when they arrive in the afternoon, and will probably take a run to SI for the show. Probably try to catch their departure Thursday (don't know what time yet.) They are supposed to be parked over at SheltAir on New Highway.

nikon50bigma
2008-06-25, 01:02 PM
5 and 1/2 hours to go! :borat:

flyboy 28
2008-06-25, 02:34 PM
I'll be heading out to see the show over the bay, but I'll be at Liberty State Park. Anyone else heading there? I really don't feel like dealing with traffic on Staten Island.

heeshung
2008-06-25, 03:30 PM
How's the vantage point from Liberty? Is SI really going to be that crowded?

pgengler
2008-06-25, 03:53 PM
LSP will probably have an EXCELLENT view when they do a flyby of the Statue of Liberty, since it's just offshore by the park and the light's behind you. I don't think you'll see any of the demo from there, though, since it's basically on the other side of SI.

I did see the TFR for this and it looks like the highest altitude they got was 2500. Looks like it's going to be a low show.

flyboy 28
2008-06-25, 07:40 PM
Well, I stayed on LSP for the whole thing. It would have been nice to watch the actual show on SI but the Statue of Liberty flyover was absolutely breathtaking. I really think that's where the money shots were. I'll put up my pics as soon as I get home. I hope you all got great shots of the show!

-James

Gerard
2008-06-25, 08:41 PM
Just got back from FRG and it was pretty awesome the two flybys they made. Got there after 6:30 and saw everyone parked along New Highway so I did the same. It was after 7 when I heard the Tower talking to "Red Arrow 1", a "Flight of 10" though I only heard the Tower side. They were going to come in on One-Four and I was looking that way into the bright sun when all of a sudden they blasted across the runways mid-field
west to east, circled then came right down New Highway low and fast right over our heads, then breaking off one at a time to land on One-Four. They waited until all the jets had landed then they taxied in together to Sheltair. That looked reaL cool also. Everyone jumped into their cars and headed over to the Sheltair parking lot. As they were taxing in to their spots two helicopters Twinstar N614CL followed by Astar N646PT were hovering nearby then landed. Twinstar N406LH had landed earlier and though I didnt wait around they later departed as a "Flight of 3" and I guess they were shuttling the Red Arrow pilots to a reception, possibly in Staten Island.
Though it was short and sweet it was very exciting to see our British allies. Looking forward to hearing (and seeing) the reviews of the SI/Harbor
flyby. Saw footage on the news of the Harbor flyby and that was quite nice.

wunaladreamin
2008-06-25, 08:56 PM
I skipped the festivities at FRG and took the ride to SI. Saw nikon50bigma but since I couldn't remember his name, I just watched him pass instead of screaming "Hey...You!" lol. Anyway, the show started off as a gentleman's airshow which left me longing for blue F/A-18's and quickly shifted into one of the most unforgettable demos I've ever seen. Some maneuvers happening even in very close proximity to departing EWR traffic. These guys put on one hell of a show. You guys at FRG missed out for sure. Now to get drunk and start editing!

cancidas
2008-06-25, 09:40 PM
i'm looking forward to seeing shots from today. i've spent the day at home cramming for a final, even went as far as taking the day off from both jobs.

flyboy 28
2008-06-25, 10:17 PM
Here's my selection for LSP. They're all just about the same though. Still quite an amazing backdrop for an amazing foreground.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/rimshot74/ra1jt.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/rimshot74/ra2jt.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/rimshot74/ra3jt.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/rimshot74/ra4jt.jpg

"Cessna Four-Two Bravo, traffic is two o'clock, 1,500 feet, rocking wings. Call that you got 'em."
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/rimshot74/ra5jt.jpg

Here's the money shot.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/rimshot74/rateasejt.jpg

-James

heeshung
2008-06-25, 10:42 PM
Flyboy 28, great backdrop and integrating the Statue of Liberty is great.

The roar couldn't match that of the Blue Angels, but the show certainly did. Again, no 70-200mm. The old one was returned since my dad bought a new 70-200mm with IS, which is still on a UPS truck somewhere.

At least this wasn't the 18-55mm kit lens. These were taken with a Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical.

Enjoy!

Show Opener
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/UnitedVirtualResources/71e46234.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/UnitedVirtualResources/5d83c4a5.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/UnitedVirtualResources/3d1a3ad8.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/UnitedVirtualResources/3a4ee682.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/UnitedVirtualResources/2b456f97.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/UnitedVirtualResources/57121069.jpg

Spectators from Above! -- AA MD-83 included.
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/UnitedVirtualResources/76691b97.jpg

Some Turkey...in a tree! Right above our parked car. Wait, a turkey in a tree?
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/UnitedVirtualResources/9ddf6f7b.jpg

Hopefully, more to come soon!

MORS-AB-ALTO
2008-06-25, 11:51 PM
Love your first and last shots James. LSP didn't even cross my mind, but it was obviously the place to be for "The Shot". Glad all who had the opportunity to get out there got to see what a great demo the Red Arrows put on. I got stuck with HAZMAT training today & tomorrow so I missed out. However, I was able to make my way to the roof of the bus depot and catch the demo from far away in Maspeth. It may have been miles away, but it seemed they didn't do a full show. Not complaining though because squeezing a midweek stopover in NYC on a 3 week tour overseas tour I'm was greatly appeciated by all. As always much RESPECT to the Reds!

Now Kenny where are those drunkin' pics?

GrummanFan
2008-06-26, 01:06 AM
The Blues may have the power, but the Reds have so much finesse. Certainly one of the most stunning visuals I have seen performed in the air.

Spent the day at the beach after using practically every mode of public transportation possible, hopefully I can catch the mystery departure tomorrow. Here are a few of my favorites from the day:

http://dfalk.smugmug.com/photos/320177056_ew6h2-L.jpg

http://dfalk.smugmug.com/photos/320177266_D87a5-L.jpg

http://dfalk.smugmug.com/photos/320177195_zt3mf-L.jpg

http://dfalk.smugmug.com/photos/320177304_CJDVd-L.jpg

http://dfalk.smugmug.com/photos/320177221_T9ewi-L.jpg

http://dfalk.smugmug.com/photos/320180761_hf3GL-L.jpg

moose135
2008-06-26, 02:14 AM
Just got home from a loooong day - caught the arrival at FRG, ran down to SI for the show, and back to FRG for some late night ramp work :) Will have photos posted later. I didn't know so many of us were going to be at SI - I met up with Phil Gengler and Matt (Nikon50Bigma) We were down at the water just to the right of the ICAP tent.

Anyway, the show started off as a gentleman's airshow which left me longing for blue F/A-18's and quickly shifted into one of the most unforgettable demos I've ever seen.
I kept thinking "This is nice, but if this is all there is, I sure wasted a trip out to SI". Then it was like they said "Enough of this crap, let's have some fun!" What an incredible show they put on - definitely worth the trip!

Tom_Turner
2008-06-26, 02:49 AM
Well, I really enjoyed this show. Unlike the US teams, The Red Arrows take advantage of the increased number of aircraft. They fly in tight formations like the Blue Angels and they make good use of the colorful smoke. All in all, really excellent.

Of course my pictures don't do the event justice as I never find it easy to get good shots of these teams, but for what its worth, here are a few...

But first, right before the show, I was treated to a vintage Bell 47..

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3176/2612026969_4bfb4525c9_o.jpg

But onto the main event...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3296/2612859784_33b07a35b0_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3009/2612026037_f18cc3bcf1_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3295/2612859322_ec947c8fb6_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3090/2612859100_883c00e1cd_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3212/2612852962_ba2d950f46_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3010/2612852678_4354123cb8_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3268/2612851970_6aab9721b2_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3131/2612017767_d143edbafb_o.jpg

There were some nice diamond formations and others, reminiscent of the Snowbirds, but I didn't get around to looking at those yet.

All in all, not much traffic and not terribly crowded either...

Tom

moose135
2008-06-26, 04:04 AM
OK, so who am I kidding? Like I was really going to get any sleep knowing I had all these photos to look at... Here are a handful from today:

Coming up initial for Rwy 32. With 11 aircraft in the formation, they were half way to Queens by the time the last one made his break :wink:
http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/320242939_VXjo4-L-2.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/320241294_E7gSw-L-1.jpg

Looks like rush hour on the LIE.
http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/320241681_jbPUg-L-1.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/320241931_CtsMT-L-2.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/320241112_VGYdt-L-2.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/320242079_mxpNR-L-2.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/320242285_nQf4S-L-2.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/320242348_HtCUa-L-2.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/320242644_XAfaB-L-2.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/320242872_Maxbs-L-2.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/320243394_LMnxL-L-2.jpg

Derf
2008-06-26, 09:43 AM
Nice shots Moose, Loving the tight crossover!!! SWEET!

It was nice to have yet another great adventure again with you :borat:

heeshung
2008-06-26, 03:28 PM
Anyone else notice how much Photobucket compresses images?

Anyway, a couple more.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/UnitedVirtualResources/981d2a20.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/UnitedVirtualResources/d09b1662.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/UnitedVirtualResources/de832ef1.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/UnitedVirtualResources/16d7c64b.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/UnitedVirtualResources/2fc4fbbe.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/UnitedVirtualResources/42d16ef2.jpg

njgtr82
2008-06-26, 04:21 PM
Great shots everyone, I really wanted to go to SI to see the show but opted to go to JFK in between my 2 stops at FRG for 2 charter flights. That and I didn't want to pay the state of NY an additional $10 bucks(thats insane!) to cross the Verazzano a second time in one day. I think I'll stick to the better side of the Hudson for the time being :lol: Here's a few of mine and thanks again Moose and Fred

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3296/2613445247_e202dd3202_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3165/2613445393_63fb948e22_o.jpg

This guy was either very bored or taking a little nap it seems in the back seat
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3259/2614277930_ff0de91be8_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3097/2613445731_070c838574_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3263/2613445943_c80f7dec5d_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3292/2613442111_de1743305e_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2030/2614274990_fe2700fa96_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3146/2614275612_8fa6391540_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3283/2614275330_f8d3fbfe9d_o.jpg

Bill

MarkLawrence
2008-06-26, 04:56 PM
DAMN....what awesome shots everyone! Being British by birth - it's a little swell in my chest to see them performing like that - last time I saw the Red Arrows was in Cape Town in 1994 - a LONG time ago! Wish they were coming down to South Florida!

moose135
2008-06-26, 05:36 PM
Fred and I were out to catch their departure today. They left around 2:15pm under cloudy skies.

Crew chief preparing the jet for departure
http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/320514545_bEskK-L.jpg

The front office
http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/320515432_HLYTZ-L.jpg

Preflight briefing. Listening to tower when they left, it sounded like they were flying VFR up to Rhode Island!
http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/320516056_N83NJ-L.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/320516741_wXSjb-L.jpg

Yeah, they kept it low on takeoff!
http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/320517193_7EfbW-L.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/320517994_svdpx-L.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/320518218_htMm7-L.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/320518393_ZzW7g-L.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/320518632_hhMUy-L.jpg

Gerard
2008-06-26, 07:27 PM
GREAT SHOTS BY ALL!!!
Wondering, did the copters from FRG fly them out to a reception?
And why only nine flew in the formation for the show? It looks like the 10th stayed away from the formations.
Thanks all.

Gerard
2008-06-26, 07:30 PM
>The roar couldn't match that of the Blue Angels<

Yeah that was one of the things I noticed when they did the flyby at FRG!! Can you imagine the sound of ELEVEN Blue Angels? LOL!!

lijk604
2008-06-26, 07:31 PM
And why only nine flew in the formation for the show? It looks like the 10th stayed away from the formations.

He was the lookout. Flies overhead watching for traffic, is he sees any, he gets on the radio and says:
"LOOKOUT!" :lol:

cancidas
2008-06-26, 09:34 PM
Preflight briefing. Listening to tower when they left, it sounded like they were flying VFR up to Rhode Island!
i would! it's a great flight, and at thier speeds it's nice quick hop.

great shots as always moose!

moose135
2008-06-26, 09:39 PM
They only use 9 aircraft for their show. They had two spares with them on this trip. "Red 10" is the normal spare aircraft, and doesn't take part in the display. The pilot is the team safety officer and narrator. He also uses it as the camera plane for photo shoots. I assume he was flying Wednesday evening to shoot the photos of the team at the Statue of Liberty.

Steven Holzinger
2008-06-26, 11:57 PM
Red 10 did announce...

Speedbird1
2008-06-27, 08:15 AM
I caught the airshow over New York Harbor from the roof of my house. It looked awesome. They shot-out red,white and blue colors while passing over the Statue then passed over the VZ Bridge. It's strange that the British Royal Force "Red Arrows" puts on an airshow over NYC while our own Blue Angels do not.

Gerard
2008-06-27, 08:52 AM
> He also uses it as the camera plane for photo shoots. I assume he was flying Wednesday evening to shoot the photos of the team at the Statue of Liberty.[/quote]

Thanks. Thought that might be it. On one of the pictures you can see him in the background. Also in one of the pictures you can see a helicopter hovering way
up high which was another camera ship.

Gerard
2008-06-27, 08:55 AM

Love that copter. But where was he that you had such a close-up? Did they have an LZ set up on SI?

moose135
2008-06-27, 09:50 AM
Love that copter. But where was he that you had such a close-up? Did they have an LZ set up on SI?
I got a shot of him also - he made a low pass down the beach before the show.

Speedbird1
2008-06-27, 11:09 AM
South Beach, NY is in Staten Island on the shoreline just south of the Verrazano Bridge.

pgengler
2008-06-27, 11:15 AM
Finally made it through a couple of photos from the other day:

http://images.pgengler.net/nyca/2008-06-25/IMG_0909.jpg
http://images.pgengler.net/nyca/2008-06-25/IMG_1019.jpg
http://images.pgengler.net/nyca/2008-06-25/IMG_1045.jpg
http://images.pgengler.net/nyca/2008-06-25/IMG_1191.jpg
http://images.pgengler.net/nyca/2008-06-25/IMG_1199.jpg

Too bad I'm busy (and the weather looks iffy) this weekend, or I'd drive up to RI to see them do their full show.

wunaladreamin
2008-06-27, 02:58 PM
Here's a few of mine. Phil, Moose...where the hell were you guys?

http://kennys.smugmug.com/photos/320539386_zMzez-L.jpg
http://kennys.smugmug.com/photos/320539593_7Gr7j-L.jpg
http://kennys.smugmug.com/photos/320539832_Qb6wG-L.jpg
http://kennys.smugmug.com/photos/320539962_ZMd7S-L.jpg
http://kennys.smugmug.com/photos/320540223_vaTGR-L.jpg
http://kennys.smugmug.com/photos/320540339_LD2wk-L.jpg
http://kennys.smugmug.com/photos/320540504_uequE-L.jpg
http://kennys.smugmug.com/photos/320540603_oX2AT-L.jpg

pgengler
2008-06-27, 03:03 PM

We were down on the beach near the water, just to the right (looking toward the water) of the tent.

moose135
2008-06-27, 03:11 PM

We were down on the beach near the water, just to the right (looking toward the water) of the tent.
What he said...in fact, if instead of avoiding Nikon50Bigma (Pat, btw) you had followed him, you would have found us :wink:

Let me just echo what everyone else has said - GREAT SHOTS EVERYONE! It looks like once again, the folks at NYCA had this historic event covered from every angle. Good work!

wunaladreamin
2008-06-27, 03:34 PM
Ahh, I was sitting on the boardwalk just to the right of the Ben & Jerry's stand.

Tom_Turner
2008-06-27, 07:17 PM

Hi Gerard -

The parking lots were filling up at the Vanderbuilt/dolphin fountains, so I had decided to drive just a bit further down South Beach to a fishing pier that extends out aways into the water. No "crowds" to speak of. Just the way an airshow ought to be... :D

Tom

Gerard
2008-06-28, 11:30 AM
Thanks Tom,
BTW guys, when they did they did their flyby of the Statue did they also go by Ground Zero and then make their turn on the Hudson?

flyboy 28
2008-06-28, 02:15 PM
Thanks Tom,
BTW guys, when they did they did their flyby of the Statue did they also go by Ground Zero and then make their turn on the Hudson?

6:58. Right on Schedule. From my vantage point at the park, they went up the hudson and turned around over Jersey up by Weehawken.

pgengler
2008-06-28, 03:06 PM
They made up to Hoboken, at least; my girlfriend called after they flew by to ask me if that would have been them. Said they scared the cats.

Gerard
2008-06-29, 10:45 AM
Thanks guys

AirtrafficController
2008-06-30, 11:01 AM
Wow Awesome shots guys. Great Coverage.

Steven Holzinger
2008-07-01, 02:21 PM
Here is the video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AbGO1BBWt_A

wunaladreamin
2008-07-01, 04:04 PM
Awesome video Steve. Favorited!

Gerard
2008-07-01, 08:08 PM
Here is the video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AbGO1BBWt_A

Great video. That move at the end where 4 jets criss-cross in the blue and red smoke is BREATHTAKING!! And scary!!
On a side note: couldnt you tell everyone around you to SHUT THE HECK UP!!!!! LOL!! The annoying thing about video cameras. I have great
footage from past years when my kids were young and you can hear them talking or crying or whining in the background!! Pretty funny now.
And didnt you get tired holding the camera for over 20 minutes? My arm ached thinking about it.
Again, thanks.

Steven Holzinger
2008-07-01, 10:31 PM
Hey, I can shoot the entire Blues performance without putting the camera down, and we're talking 35-40 minutes there!!!

Gerard
2008-07-01, 10:42 PM
Hey, I can shoot the entire Blues performance without putting the camera down, and we're talking 35-40 minutes there!!!

Ah nice to be young. :lol:
The only problem I always had with video taping was that it seems like you really arent watching the action LIVE through the view finder/screen.

nikon50bigma
2008-07-02, 11:00 AM
Nice shots everyone.
Moose and Phil, it was great to shoot the show with you guys.
Heres my share: (late as usual)
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z211/nikon50bigma/Sishow014.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z211/nikon50bigma/Sishow021.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z211/nikon50bigma/Sishow097.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z211/nikon50bigma/Sishow1191.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z211/nikon50bigma/Sishow1211.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z211/nikon50bigma/Sishow145.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z211/nikon50bigma/Sishow149.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z211/nikon50bigma/Sishow214.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z211/nikon50bigma/Sishow516.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z211/nikon50bigma/Sishow580.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z211/nikon50bigma/Sishow825.jpg

Gerard
2008-08-25, 06:30 PM
They had a ceremony in London yesterday marking the handover of the Olympics from Beijing to London 2012 and the Red Arrows flew a nice colorful smokey fly-by!!!