PDA

View Full Version : Good News about Floyd Bennett Field

Speedbird1
2008-06-09, 08:34 AM
I visited Floyd Bennett on Saturday. I got a guided tour by a wonderful volunteer, including the tower cab. The tower used to be closed to the public but now is opened. He informed me that Congress has finally allotted funding to fix-up the old hangars as well as the Administration Building (where the control tower is located). The only bad part is that when the funding is given, the Administration Building will be completely closed for at least a year. There are also interesting old aircraft being restored over at Hangar B. A bonus to the trip is seeing aircraft passing overhead by the CRI VOR. I saw at least 7 747's depart 31L between 1130 and 12 noon.

cancidas
2008-06-09, 01:44 PM
sweet! i've been in that building once before and hoped that it would be restored. very good news, can't wait 'till it's done.

Speedbird1
2008-06-10, 12:29 PM
It was quite something to be allowed to climb the steps up to the control cab. I want to return on a clear day as it was hazy last weekend. The view is great although it is only 3 stories high, there is no taller building for miles around, so the view is unobstructed. Unfortunately, the Concorde there which had been open for tours last summer is now closed again. The guard said he thinks it will stay closed. Aviator Sports can't be bothered with tours.

moose135
2008-06-10, 12:34 PM
Glad to hear the tower is open - I'll have to take a ride over and check it out. I've been in the HARP hangar a couple of times, and it is well worth the visit!

Lezam
2008-06-11, 12:51 AM
Do you when its open? Sounds like a nice day trip