PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING: Spirit to Close LGA & SJU Hubs

Matt Molnar
2008-06-03, 04:14 PM
Spirit Airlines planning job cuts due to soaring fuel prices (http://www.mysuncoast.com/Global/story.asp?S=8418960&nav=menu577_2_1)

Associated Press - June 3, 2008 4:04 PM ET

MIAMI (AP) - Spirit Airlines is planning to cut jobs due to soaring fuel prices.

The Miramar-based discount carrier says in the notification letters released by union leaders that it may lay off or move up to 60% of its flight attendants and 45% of its pilots in an effort to cut costs and deal with soaring fuel prices. The letters were first obtained by The Miami Herald.

The company plans to close its hubs in New York's LaGuardia Airport and San Juan, Puerto Rico, and shrink its main Fort Lauderdale hub by August first. The airline is also closing its Detroit hub for flight attendants. [Full Article (http://www.mysuncoast.com/Global/story.asp?S=8418960&nav=menu577_2_1)]

MarkLawrence
2008-06-03, 04:20 PM
Anyone else thinking Chapter 11 soon??

T-Bird76
2008-06-03, 04:31 PM
NK has a hub at LGA??? That's one pretty small hub.. They are axing more then half of their FA's that's huge and scary. I guess the next statement will be how many routes are being cut which based on the amount of people getting laid off that won't look pretty either. I bet ISP goes away.

I'd say Chap 11 is close though..you don't send these letters out unless something bad is right around the corner.

One thing I don't understand from the article is what do they mean "close a hub?" Does that mean pull service all together or shut down a hub like US did at PIT?

Rumors have it UAL is about to come out with some drastic cuts as well.

PhilDernerJr
2008-06-03, 04:36 PM
No, I think this was planned in advance. I would bet that their LGA costs are high, and that's why they moved to ISP. I'm surprised it didn't leak sooner.

Matt Molnar
2008-06-03, 05:14 PM
I would imagine it means they'll only serve cities from FLL now, no more LGA-CUN or LGA-SJU, just FLL-LGA, FLL-CUN, FLL-SJU, etc.

lijk604
2008-06-03, 05:25 PM
I was going to agree with Tommy about ISP service going away, but Phil makes a good point. Maybe they got their feet wet with ISP and will shift the service here, being the costs are that much less...not to mention the delay factor as well.

PhilDernerJr
2008-06-03, 05:39 PM
Spirit's been flying NY-FL for many years, and it's a solid market for a low-cost airline like them, I would think. fuel is kickin them in the butt I'm sure though.

T-Bird76
2008-06-03, 09:39 PM
I was going to agree with Tommy about ISP service going away, but Phil makes a good point. Maybe they got their feet wet with ISP and will shift the service here, being the costs are that much less...not to mention the delay factor as well.

They tried ISP once and decided to move to LGA because of the market. Now that WN is in town I just can't see them expanding ISP to compete with WN head on. The only thing that might keep NK there is the town agreed to waive certain fees for a year for any new airline so that might prolong their stay. However if the math doesn't add up I give NK a month more at ISP.

The Gov't better realize what's going on here with the price of fuel and do something soon. These speculators are single handedly destroying out economy....they need to be regulated!

moose135
2008-06-03, 10:48 PM
The Gov't better realize what's going on here with the price of fuel and do something soon. These speculators are single handedly destroying out economy....they need to be regulated!
That's certainly not going to happen under this administration. Besides being made up of oil men, they have systematically dismantled virtually all government oversight and regulation of industry.

Matt Molnar
2008-06-03, 11:56 PM
UPDATE: Spirit Pres Says Not So Fast, NO LAYOFFS PLANNED
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24957130/

WTVJ-TV
updated 2 hours, 13 minutes ago

MIAMI - The president of Spirit Airlines said Tuesday the carrier has no plans for layoffs, despite reports that implied it is laying off half of its employees. According to letters released Tuesday by union leaders, the airline may lay off or move up to 60 percent of its flight attendants and 45 percent of its pilots in an effort to cut costs and deal with soaring fuel prices.

The letters, required by law under the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, were sent out Friday by Jeff Carlson, the airline's vice president of flight operations. Carlson wrote in the letters that the airline will furlough or displace up to 448 flight attendants and 242 pilots.

"It's kind of unfortunate that it got put out that way," said Spirit President and CEO Ben Baldanza.

He said the letters began as a precaution to keep the airline alive and then became a rumor that the carrier was dying.

LGA777
2008-06-04, 10:22 PM
I think the press confused the words hub and crew base, they said they might close their LGA and SJU crew bases, and the always sharp as a marble media (when it comes to airlines) said they where closing their LGA and SJU hubs.

Speaking of the media today some ace reporter on CNBC I had never seen before said UA was parking their entire fleet of ancient 744's and this would give UA the youngest fleet in the industry.

Brilliant

LGA777

airmale516
2008-06-05, 01:25 AM
has anyone seen their web site latley... their offering zero airfares to select cities ??

what the he** is wrong with people...

Delta777LR
2008-06-05, 02:25 PM
I never knew that LGA was a hub to any airline!

RDU-JFK
2008-06-05, 02:39 PM

Trump Shuttle, USAir, Delta, and US Airways Shuttle :borat:

Delta777LR
2008-06-05, 02:43 PM

I thought LGA was just a focus airport for USAirways, Delta and also American Airlines.. Not a hub

I understand that USAirways and Delta have their own terminals at LGA as well

RDU-JFK
2008-06-05, 03:10 PM

I thought LGA was just a focus airport for USAirways, Delta and also American Airlines.. Not a hub

I understand that USAirways and Delta have their own terminals at LGA as well

I meant to write USAir Shuttle and Delta Shuttle (aka all of the shuttles)!

PHL Approach
2008-06-06, 02:33 PM
Speaking of the media today some ace reporter on CNBC I had never seen before said UA was parking their entire fleet of ancient 744's and this would give UA the youngest fleet in the industry.

Sharp as a tack! :lol: