PDA

View Full Version : Reason not to vote for Obama, Sec of State John Kerry

Midnight Mike
2008-05-28, 05:10 PM
NANTUCKET, Mass. - The airplane came to a stop, the door opened and out popped Tony Blair. At the bottom of the stairs to greet the former British prime minister on Saturday was Sen. John Kerry, looking every part the diplomat.

Four years after a failed presidential bid and amid a race for a fifth Senate term this fall, Kerry's moves have prompted some questions:

Is the Massachusetts Democrat positioning himself to be secretary of state in a potential Barack Obama administration?

_Could a Kerry appointment create not one but two Senate openings in Massachusetts, assuming Sen. Edward Kennedy cannot complete his term after being diagnosed last week with brain cancer?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080528/ap_ ... y_of_state (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080528/ap_on_el_pr/kerry_secretary_of_state)

adam613
2008-05-28, 05:44 PM
Um...once again, this has nothing to do with anything.

First of all, just because Kerry is angling for it doesn't mean he's going to get it.

Second, a lot of cabinet positions are filled by people who LOSE elections, not people who just won. For example, John Ashcroft, who couldn't even win an election against a dead guy and was rewarded with the opportunity to make a mockery of the Justice Department.

Midnight Mike
2008-05-28, 06:21 PM
Um...once again, this has nothing to do with anything.

First of all, just because Kerry is angling for it doesn't mean he's going to get it.

Second, a lot of cabinet positions are filled by people who LOSE elections, not people who just won. For example, John Ashcroft, who couldn't even win an election against a dead guy and was rewarded with the opportunity to make a mockery of the Justice Department.

You kind of contradicted yourself :wink:

John Kerry is a dick & having John Kerry who has been in politics for over 20 years, kind of goes against the "change" slogan......

wunaladreamin
2008-06-03, 07:22 PM
John Kerry is a dick
I'm sorry...that was beautiful.

Mateo
2008-06-06, 10:53 PM
...as was Spencer Abraham, who got a chance to run Energy fresh off his defeat in the Michigan Senate race. Kerry would never take SecState - he's got at least 15 years left in the Senate, and he's Chair of the Small Business Committee, has *4* Subcommittee gavels, and will be chair of either Senate Commerce or Foreign Relations (both very powerful) once he's term limited out of his present chair. If the Ds were in the minority, it might be on the table, but no member of the Senate is going to leave a growing majority for what is, in political terms, a relatively short assignment. State will probably be one of the Generals - Clark, Zinni, etc..

Tom_Turner
2008-06-10, 04:36 AM
I am more concerned with where John Edwards might land in an Obama Administration. Attorney General?

adam613
2008-06-10, 09:06 AM
Um, Edwards and Kerry both still hold Senate seats, and the Democrats need every senator they can get. No current senator is likely to get a cabinet position.

That said, there are plenty of people Obama could nominate that are scarier than John Edwards...I mean, Bush set the standard pretty high by picking Ashcroft...

Matt Molnar
2008-06-10, 10:58 AM
Bring back Reno!

AgaacrxsS4c

IemPsXZx-xM

Midnight Mike
2008-06-10, 11:07 AM
Um, Edwards and Kerry both still hold Senate seats, and the Democrats need every senator they can get. No current senator is likely to get a cabinet position.

That said, there are plenty of people Obama could nominate that are scarier than John Edwards...I mean, Bush set the standard pretty high by picking Ashcroft...

John Edwards has not served in the Senate for quite some time :wink:

adam613
2008-06-10, 11:11 AM
John Edwards has not served in the Senate for quite some time :wink:

Oops, you're right...I really need to stop posting before I have breakfast :P

I suppose he could get nominated for AG. But I bet he won't.

Matt Molnar
2008-06-10, 11:52 AM
Edwards for Secretary of Hair Care!

Midnight Mike
2008-06-14, 03:44 PM
Edwards for Secretary of Hair Care!

2AE847UXu3Q