PDA

View Full Version : Hacked E-Mail Account

RDU-JFK
2008-05-27, 09:41 AM
A Co-worker had his e-mail hacked into and someone changed his password so he can't access. It's a hotmail account--what's the best way for him to either contact hotmail or delete the account? Apparently whoever hacked into it is sending out those Nigerian e-mails to people.

What can I tell him toi do?

Thanks in advance...

Midnight Mike
2008-05-27, 11:00 AM
A Co-worker had his e-mail hacked into and someone changed his password so he can't access. It's a hotmail account--what's the best way for him to either contact hotmail or delete the account? Apparently whoever hacked into it is sending out those Nigerian e-mails to people.

What can I tell him toi do?

Thanks in advance...

Goodness!

I would make contact with hotmail & then delete the account, quickly.....

adam613
2008-05-27, 11:05 AM
There's probably nothing he can do...he has no way of proving to Hotmail that he's the legitimate owner of the account, and without that sort of proof, Hotmail could get itself into some serious trouble for taking any action in absence of that proof...

RDU-JFK
2008-05-27, 11:30 AM
There's probably nothing he can do...he has no way of proving to Hotmail that he's the legitimate owner of the account, and without that sort of proof, Hotmail could get itself into some serious trouble for taking any action in absence of that proof...
Wow so there's nothing that can be done? He's worried about the financial sensitivity of the e-mails in his inbox, and this hacker has been sending these e-mails to everyone in his address book including old bosses and such!

Lezam
2008-05-27, 11:55 AM
he has no way of proving to Hotmail that he's the legitimate owner of the account

Unless he provided some security question or alternate email.

Try finding out a telephone number for hotmail, via microsoft, the whois records, whatever it takes to get in touch with them. They will tell you the steps to figure it out, im sure other people have had this problem in the past.

Matt Molnar
2008-05-27, 02:44 PM
Password Reset Tool:
https://accountservices.msn.com/uireset ... =1033&id=2 (https://accountservices.msn.com/uiresetpw.srf?lc=1033&id=2)
I think this would only work if he has an alternate email on file in his hotmail account.

cancidas
2008-05-27, 02:46 PM
that really sucks. that's why i keep three separate email accounts with three separate providers. one is for personal stuff, freinds etc. the second is for legit business and the third is for worthless crap that i just allow it to accumulate to capacity. i use that one also for the types of things that i don't ever want to bother getting any attention from, including internet orders etc...