PDA

View Full Version : Harkin: McCain too 'military'

Midnight Mike
2008-05-22, 07:34 AM
Oh wow, way to go Democrats, so John McCain has toooo much military experience, that's priceless :lol: (Senator McCain left the military in 1981 :wink: )

When Bill Clinton was running for the presidency, military experience did not matter
When John Kerry was running for the presidency, Bush did not have enough military experience
Now that Hilliary Clinton & Obama are running, John McCain has tooooo much military experience

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/p ... /1001/NEWS (http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080517/NEWS09/805170330/1001/NEWS)

Republican presidential candidate John McCain's family background as the son and grandson of admirals has given him a worldview shaped by the military, "and he has a hard time thinking beyond that," Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Ia., said Friday.

"I think he's trapped in that," Harkin said in a conference call with Iowa reporters. "Everything is looked at from his life experiences, from always having been in the military, and I think that can be pretty dangerous."

Harkin said that "it's one thing to have been drafted and served, but another thing when you come from generations of military people and that's just how you're steeped, how you've learned, how you've grown up."

"But now McCain is running for a higher office. He's running for commander in chief, and our Constitution says that should be a civilian," Harkin said. "And in some ways, I think it would be nice if that commander in chief had some military background, but I don't know if they need a whole lot."

Matt Molnar
2008-05-22, 10:48 AM
Interesting. Just the other day I read some idiot dem blog that said McCain's military experience was irrelevant because the urban-style combat in Iraq is nothing like the jungles of Vietnam. :roll:

adam613
2008-05-22, 12:09 PM
Interesting. Just the other day I read some idiot dem blog that said McCain's military experience was irrelevant because the urban-style combat in Iraq is nothing like the jungles of Vietnam. :roll:

Sounds like someone's been watching The Big Lebowski too much...