PDA

View Full Version : JFK Spotter initiation?

cgnnrw
2008-05-19, 08:01 AM
Hi folks!
Just joined the club today. I'm coming in from Germany later this week and want to spend some time spotting while I'm in the Big Apple possibly Sunday the 25th. I checked out the maps but not sure where the "best" spots are. Suggestions? I'm not looking to take professional photos or get regs, just like watching the planes fly by. Anyway, feel free to get in touch.
Cheers from good ol' Germany

p.s. my travels are taking me down to the Miami area too. Any tips for down there?

T-Bird76
2008-05-19, 09:06 AM
The best spots are what is indicated on the maps. I'd print out a copy and before heading out to JFK check which runways are being used and then head to the corresponding location listed on the spotting maps. You can call JFK ATIS at 1-718-995-8188 to find out what runways are being used. You will need a car for all of these spots. There might be some folks out this coming weekend to spot however the majority will be at the Jones Beach Airshow.

Delta777LR
2008-05-19, 07:22 PM
If you dont drive, I can help you out on public transportation, but the only thing is that it might take you longer to get around on spotting maps and your best option too is to buy unlimited metrocard to get around... $7.50 for one day unlimited metrocard, $25 for 7 day..