PDA

View Full Version : McGuire Show: May 31 -June1

PhilDernerJr
2008-05-15, 08:35 PM
Anyone here going to the McGuire show?

I am expecting to be there. If I am, I am bringing something big with me. :wink:

pgengler
2008-05-15, 08:48 PM
I'll be there again this year. Last year was a blast, and I hope it's good again this year!

Phil, you don't need to rent the 1200mm, you're not that far from the action! :lol:

moose135
2008-05-15, 09:14 PM
I'll be looking for you, Phil - well, both of you!

cancidas
2008-05-15, 09:20 PM
i'm down! dragging the corellian with me as well...

Steven Holzinger
2008-05-15, 09:32 PM
If he plans on trying to get takeoff shots, he might need it! However... the heat haze might be the problem.

I will be there Fri-Sun - it's only 25 minutes from here!

PhilDernerJr
2008-05-15, 09:45 PM
I wasn't talking about camera equipment. I was referring to an aircraft.

USAF Pilot 07
2008-05-15, 09:46 PM
I will be there and cannot wait for it to be OVER...

I been working this thing for the past 4 months, and it's finally starting to come together... somewhat so at least... Needless to say there have been more than a few speedbumps...

We've got a pretty solid line up, with some pretty good statics - namely an E-3 which most people probably haven't seen/been in.

Still working on getting some more statics - to include Phil's NAA.

My suggestion - arrive early and carpool.

Be sure to check out our website too!

http://www.mcguireairexpo.info

njgtr82
2008-05-15, 10:46 PM
I'll be there on Sunday

markg
2008-05-16, 01:04 PM
Our local paper down here at the shore had a piece about the McGuire show. They apparently have an F-22 Raptor confirmed. The website http://www.mcguireairexpo.info still shows it pending.

Steven Holzinger
2008-05-16, 04:27 PM
Confirmed for static or flying display? I'm not counting on a demo but a static... yeah I'd count on it.

USAF Pilot 07
2008-05-16, 05:21 PM
Confirmed for static or flying display? I'm not counting on a demo but a static... yeah I'd count on it.

F-22 demo will not happen. Their regulations only allow them a certain amount of shows a month, and ours would put them over that limit.

Unfortunately, our initial press release stated it would be here (because according to the Chief of Staff of the AF it should be here), along with several press releases thereafter that Public Affairs didn't put out accurately, so word is still going around that the demo will be around.

As for the F-22 static... Still working it... ACC hasn't shown us any love (minus the E-3) yet.

nikon50bigma
2008-05-16, 11:05 PM
I heard on airshowbuzz.com that since McGuire can't get the f-22, they got the F-16
Any way I'll be there sat and sun

corellian21
2008-05-18, 07:10 PM
I can't wait either, got to drive with matt though :borat:

PhilDernerJr
2008-05-23, 03:42 PM
I learned that I will not be able to attend the show. :(

Steven Holzinger
2008-05-29, 12:10 PM
Dang... the one time Phil gets to shoot military aircraft and he can't make it. Anyways, weather on Saturday is supposed to be rainy and stormy but the only good thing about that is VAPOR!!! Sunday is supposed to be pretty good....

flyboy 28
2008-05-29, 01:18 PM
I plan on being there Sunday. Hopefully.

nikon50bigma
2008-05-29, 09:56 PM
Hope to meet and see some of you guys down there.
Sunday is a go for me!

moose135
2008-05-29, 10:29 PM
Looks like I'll be heading down on Sunday as well. PM me for cell number if you are so inclined.

pgengler
2008-05-29, 10:43 PM
I'll also be down there on Sunday. Hopefully we'll have good weather! Let me know if you want to try to meet up.

flyboy 28
2008-05-31, 07:31 PM
I'm heading down tomorrow. Moose, I have your number from a while back when I was going to meet up with you at JFK. I'll probably call looking for someone to shoot with.

moose135
2008-06-01, 09:57 PM
Got home from McGuire a short time ago - a great day! Got to the main gate around 8:45, and had no problem with traffic - there were a lot of cars, but we moved right on in. Good selection of performers - F-15E, F-16, F/A-18 demos, USAF Heritage Flight (P-51, F-15 & F-16) Navy's copy of Heritage Flight (F4U Corsair & F-18). A really outstanding performance by the C-17. It's amazing what they can do with such a large aircraft. The day was capped off with a great job by the Thunderbirds, despite some building clouds.

Got inside a bunch of aircraft - 2 KC-135s, KC-10, E-3 (first time I've seen an AWACS that close). NAA didn't send a jet, but there was an ATI DC-8 on hand. We waited until about 5:45 (1 /12 hours after the T-Birds finished) and it took about 30 minutes to get off base, and another 30-40 minutes to the NJ Turnpike.

Hung out with Bill S (njgtr82) for most of the afternoon demos, and bumped into Pat (Nikon50Bigma) before we left. I also saw Phil Gengler inside the KC-135E, but didn't get to say hello - I was talking to the Boom Operator, and I saw Phil disappear into the boom pod (never to be seen again!)

All in all a great day - lots of neat airplanes, lots of afterburners :!: and nice weather as well. Ended up with about 1,400 shots, but I'm off to bed and will look at them in the morning.

Clark - great job by you and everyone working on the show!

N75715
2008-06-02, 12:19 PM
I went! Great time. A lot of people, since the Sat show was a washout.

pgengler
2008-06-02, 12:32 PM
Hung out with Bill S (njgtr82) for most of the afternoon demos, and bumped into Pat (Nikon50Bigma) before we left. I also saw Phil Gengler inside the KC-135E, but didn't get to say hello - I was talking to the Boom Operator, and I saw Phil disappear into the boom pod (never to be seen again!)

I probably walked right by you without even noticing. I'm prone to do that sort of thing sometimes (read: a lot). Where did you end up watching the show from? My girlfriend and I staked out a spot along the barricades right in front of where the T-birds parked (just like last year).

All in all, I thought it was a great show, and my opinion is that it was better than Jones Beach show. Some day I'll get through the more than 2000 photos I ended up with.

Getting out was a real pain though. We got in the car at 5pm and didn't make it off the base until 6:20. Next year I definitely need to park off-base and get bussed in; did that last year and made it out in no time at all, although the crowd was smaller since both days were good weather-wise and it was Mother's Day.

USAF Pilot 07
2008-06-02, 05:26 PM
Clark - great job by you and everyone working on the show!

Thanks man! I'm exhausted... Stayed on-base all weekend and didn't get much sleep...

But, it's all over... Tying up the loose ends and then washing my hands clean of it...

Saturday was a wash with the weather, but Sunday was great! Parking was definitely an issue, but could have been much worse. Definitely probably the hardest and most time-consuming planning job out of the whole event! Something we've got some good continuity for the next airshow team.

Too bad I didn't see any of you. I was in a golf cart in my flightsuit most of the day running around (if any of you saw me), and spent the rest of it up on the airboss' trailer watching the show!

All-in-all great lineup and with a good static list. Had some F-15 statics canx on us late Friday night. Would have liked to get a few more statics, but it's tough with all the operational missions going on, and especially when you are making units foot their lodging bill off-base at $93 a night.

Definitely one of the better McGuire shows in recent years. I personally learned a TON about the whole planning, budgeting and politics behind putting on a military airshow.

Glad to hear those of you who went enjoyed the show!

Looking forward to seeing some of your pics!