PDA

View Full Version : Speed trap at JFK

Lezam
2008-05-14, 11:29 PM
Coming off the Van wyck onto nassau expressway by JFK today, I was lucky enough to see a cop standing there with a radar gun pointed at cars coming down the road. I managed to slam on the brakes, but I just want to give you guys a heads up in case your in the area. You usually dont see any cops in the area, this time he was hiding. It was especially scary to see him just standing there pointing his gun at you. He might be back tomorrow, he might not... just be on the lookout.

T-Bird76
2008-05-15, 09:42 AM
As he points to you, just wave and keep driving. LOLOL

LGA777
2008-05-15, 09:51 AM
With so many people often running late for flights and work it would be probably a profitable place for a speed trap, though a little mean I think. You are running late for your flight, maybe you might have barely made it, because of the pull over and expensive ticket now you missed it, its to somewhere in the carribean with one flight a day, now you lost 1 day out of your 4 day vacation.

Oh the Humanity !

Drive Safe

LGA777

wunaladreamin
2008-05-15, 10:00 AM
Hate to burst your bubble but, he's got you even before you see him out with the gun. Stepping on your brakes is useless. Here's a tip to avoid getting a ticket...

...don't break the law.

Drive safe folks.

moose135
2008-05-15, 11:31 AM
Here's a tip to avoid getting a ticket...

http://impulseshopperonline.com/images/cobra-xrs94002.JPG
:D :D :D

stuart schechter
2008-05-15, 02:22 PM
Some cops are getting much better and when they see a car going much faster, they wait to turn on the radar and it doesn't give you enough time to slow down.

wunaladreamin
2008-05-15, 03:01 PM
Moose, that thing will erase any chance of getting out of a ticket once you're pulled over.

PhilDernerJr
2008-05-15, 08:08 PM
Slowing down when you the the officer, as said earlier, is silly and a waste. The better options is to speed up and get away when the officer tries to pull you over. :wink:

USAF Pilot 07
2008-05-15, 08:27 PM
Moose, that thing will erase any chance of getting out of a ticket once you're pulled over.

That's why I keep mine on a sticky iPod pad on the dash, and when I get pulled over, yank it off and hide it! :borat:

adam613
2008-05-15, 08:45 PM
As he points to you, just wave and keep driving. LOLOL

BTW, your new avatar is hilarious...

stuart schechter
2008-05-16, 09:59 AM

That's why I keep mine on a sticky iPod pad on the dash, and when I get pulled over, yank it off and hide it! :borat:

It used to be worse when the only reason you would have suction cups on your windshield was for that but now there are so many gadgets that stick to your windshield, you could say it was a number of things.

PhilDernerJr
2008-05-16, 12:38 PM
Comin home last night, I saw a little trap on the Van Wyck north just before Exit 12B (LIE West). He was hanging out near the onramp with his lights off. Thankfully I was still doing my 55mph experiment.

Although, I had a very brief encounter with police late last night where an unmarked approached me while I was sitting in my truck. Everything turned out a-ok after a couple questions.

Lezam
2008-05-18, 03:36 AM
Its surprising, that it isn't even the end of the month and the cops seem to be giving out tickets galore. Over the past few days there have been so many people getting pulled over and ticketed. Maybe because of the higher cost of gas, there isn't enough money to pay for the cops cruisin?

Does the radar gun hone in on your license plate? I recall hearing that it bounces off the metal, but if you don't have a front plate theres a chance that you will not get caught by the radar as easily.

nwafan20
2008-05-30, 10:00 PM
Airports seem like a good spot for traps.

At DTW, EVERY TIME we are out spotting, the same exact cop is sitting in the same exact spot (one of the remote gates) and always pulls over about 1 every 10 minutes or so.

MarkLawrence
2008-05-31, 07:54 AM
Although, I had a very brief encounter with police late last night where an unmarked approached me while I was sitting in my truck. Everything turned out a-ok after a couple questions.

There are sooooo many places that all of us could go with this line....late last night....sitting in my truck...but.....no..I'm leaving it alone..... :lol:

mirrodie
2008-05-31, 08:09 AM
Slowing down when you the the officer, as said earlier, is silly and a waste. The better options is to speed up and get away when the officer tries to pull you over. :wink:

Also makes for a fast entry into cable TV. On World's Wildest Police Videos. I wouldn't mind someone from NY making an appearance since most of the footage is from the midwest and full of, yep, you guess it, rednecks!