PDA

View Full Version : Spotting at LHR, CDG, AMS

brontis5
2008-04-29, 12:40 PM
Hello All,

I am going on vacation in a few days and was writing to see if anyone had an information or experiences with photographing planes at Heathrow, Charles De Gaulle or Amsterdam airports. I will have less time at Heathrow and Charles De Gaulle and might only get some shots from inside the terminal if it is allowed. But in Amsterdam I am going to take a whole day out and about Schiphol. I have found a good deal of information online about Schiphol and the spots around the airport, but just wondering if anyone could share their first hand stories.

Thanks and take care,

Brian

petertenthije
2008-04-29, 02:51 PM
Hello All,

I am going on vacation in a few days and was writing to see if anyone had an information or experiences with photographing planes at Heathrow, Charles De Gaulle or Amsterdam airports. I will have less time at Heathrow and Charles De Gaulle and might only get some shots from inside the terminal if it is allowed. But in Amsterdam I am going to take a whole day out and about Schiphol. I have found a good deal of information online about Schiphol and the spots around the airport, but just wondering if anyone could share their first hand stories.

Thanks and take care,

Brian
LHR Airside limited photography possible, but always from indoors with dirty windows and green colour cast. Landside is very nice and easily accesible. Take the underground to Hatton Cross (first from the airport). Assuming winds are from the west the planes should fly over you at a walking distance. If winds are from the east you can probably get to some spots more easily now T5 has opened, but it used to be a loooong walk.

CDG Don't know about airside. Landside there is a taxiway nearby on of the CDG rail stations.

AMS My local, the Kaagbaan spot is closed. The Polderbaan and several other runways have spots ranging from OK to excellent. Only disadvantage I can think of is the distances and that lately ATC has been experimenting a bit with runway use. Therefor predicting which runway(s) are in use is a bit tricky. If you are here during the weekend I might be able to join.

p.s. I do not know when you are here, but may 4th we remember the casualties from WW2, so when things turn silent all of a sudden don't be alarmed. May 5th we celebrate the liberation from nazi occupation. Don't waste that day at the airport, go into town! Haarlem, Amsterdam and in particular Wageningen are recommended, but you should be able to amuse yourself in all large towns.

markg
2008-04-29, 03:29 PM
CDG Don't know about airside. Landside there is a taxiway nearby on of the CDG rail stations.

Landside you need a permit for spotting. Go to http://www.kerozen.org for more details. The taxiway is near the Hilton Hotel and the tower. There is also a mound (without ticks) close to T9 which is the charter and low cost airline terminal. Airside the views depend on which terminal you are in and the runways in use.

Robert Pittuck
2008-04-30, 05:27 AM
AMS is the most spotter and photography friendly airport out the 3, if the weather is bad you can take shelter on the viewing terrace at AMS, also there are bars and shops to use.
LHR is good but you need to leave the airport and go to the perimeter, if you dont have a car then there arent too many places to shelter if the weather is bad.
My experience of CDG is pretty limited, I think recently you needed prior permission as markg says from the authorities to take photographs even from outside the airport, I dont know if that law has changed recently, I dont think you need permission to spot.
regrds
Robert

Tamon
2008-04-30, 11:27 AM
Hi,

for CDG check Kerozen Spots as mentioned and you need a written permission from the authority.

You need to write an Email to Mr. Xavier Huby ([email protected]) and explain what you want to do, where you live, etc with a copy (photo) of your passport,etc. You should apply for the permission asap because delivery can take some time. The permission is supplied free of charge.

greets

Tamon

brontis5
2008-05-01, 02:40 PM
Thank everyone for the information. I am on my way to the airport right now. I will post pictures when I return. I hope it works out and I get some good stuff. Thanks again, Brian