PDA

View Full Version : Long Island hotline set to report rogue copters

Matt Molnar
2008-04-28, 11:36 AM
Newsday:

Long Island hotline set to report rogue copters (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/transportation/ny-liheli285666261apr28,0,7797797.story)

BY REID J. EPSTEIN | [email protected]
April 28, 2008

Seeking to stop an annual summer nuisance before it starts, Sen. Charles Schumer will announce today a plan to help Long Islanders report helicopters flying below or outside their designated routes.

Nassau residents can already call North Hempstead's 311 center and Suffolk will soon have a dedicated toll-free number to report rogue choppers. [Full Article (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/transportation/ny-liheli285666261apr28,0,7797797.story)]

cancidas
2008-04-28, 01:00 PM
exactly why i stay out over the water... :D

T-Bird76
2008-04-28, 01:21 PM
So is Chuck also going to provide the maps of the flight paths of these so called rouge copters take? I mean how will mom and pop kettle know that Bell is off course and wrecking havoc on their 4th of July BBQ? I wonder how much tax payer dollars this project cost??? I'd pay real money to see Schmucker keep his mouth shut for a change.

mirrodie
2008-04-28, 01:45 PM
I wonder how much tax payer dollars this project cost??? I'd pay real money to see Schmucker keep his mouth shut for a change.

Better yet, I'll put my tax dollars into finding a way to harness all his hot air and throw some power back into the energy grid.

That guy really just irks me. He looks like Beavis from Beavis and Butthead and acts like Igor to Hillary.

cancidas
2008-04-28, 04:12 PM
I'd pay real money to see Schmucker keep his mouth shut for a change.
amen to that!

Gerard
2008-04-28, 06:38 PM
> I'd pay real money to see Schmucker keep his mouth shut for a change<

Actually never had an opinion either way of him but recently he was instrumental in
helping to get LOD benefits for the two NYPD Auxiliary POs murdered March 06 down
in the Village. One of those officers was the brother of a coworker/friend of mine and
he has been raving about how nice the Senator has been to his family, especially his mom
who is still distraught over the murder of her son. He really has been going above and
beyond to help both families out.
I'm not here to censor you guys just letting you in on a side of the senator maybe you dont
know about.

Gerard
2008-04-28, 06:39 PM
>exactly why i stay out over the water<

You fly helos?

adam613
2008-04-28, 06:58 PM
Schumer is one of those politicians who, when you don't notice him, he's doing good work, but when you do notice him, it's almost never for a good reason.

For example, right now.

I'd be very surprised if more than 1% of the complaints are legit.

DHG750R
2008-04-29, 04:03 AM
Kindof makes it seem as if Helis are buzzing around people like a swarm of pesky flies or mosquitos.

Schumer has made a point to have himself all over anything aviation related. Particularly the negative. he may mean well , but it only coddles the NIMBY crowd. We live in some of the most congested land and airspace in the nation. Airplane/helicopter noise, just like the noise from a highway or train tracks is a fact of life.

Someday when one of the NIMBY crowd is on his boat and is in some distress, he will welcome the sound of a helo buzzing over his head...

Gerard
2008-05-01, 08:01 PM
I read one of the most hypocritical statements in the free "Metro" newspaper they distribute in the morning. It was from a retired Wall Street investment banker who said (I paraphrase) that "using copters to get to the Hamptons is the fastest way to go and if I still worked on Wall Street I'd use them. But now I sit in my hot tub and their buzzing noise really annoys me".
What an a*****e!!!!!!!! And he'll probably be one of these clueless idiots speed dialing the hotline.

Gerard
2008-07-06, 05:27 PM
Looks like the hotline has heated up with residents STILL not happy with pilot compliance.

http://www2.timesreview.com/ST/stories/ ... opters_den (http://www2.timesreview.com/ST/stories/T070308_helicopters_den)