PDA

View Full Version : Strange Approach to LGA ?

Speedbird1
2008-04-24, 08:43 AM
My friend recently flew back from Wilmington, NC on a commuter jet to LGA. She said that her approach to LGA was over the Hudson River then the aircraft turned over the Bronx and passed over the NY Botanical Garden. I think it must have been an approach to 22 at LGA. Are small commuter aircraft often given such a short approach? The normal approach usually goes up the Hudson to Westchester and then the aircraft is turned east until joining the 22 Approach near Mamaroneck.

cancidas
2008-04-24, 10:43 AM
sounds like the LDA to 22. if there isn't much traffic controllers can turn airplanes closer to the airport and not force them to fly all the way up north. was the wx VFR? don't forget, on VFR days it doesn't tke much to turn any approach into a visual one. it's called pilot appreciation time, and we love it!

Speedbird1
2008-04-24, 11:33 AM
I agree. It had to be an approach to LDA 22. No other approach would pass over the Bronx.Is such an approach common?

NYARTCCFAN
2008-04-24, 02:40 PM
Could have been the RIVER VISUAL TO 13. I remember these since they would fly from right to eft while looking out my living room window when I lived up in Jersey.

http://flightaware.com/resources/airpor ... UAL+RWY+13 (http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KLGA/IAP/RIVER+VISUAL+RWY+13)

Matt Molnar
2008-04-24, 02:45 PM
Could have been the RIVER VISUAL TO 13. I remember these since they would fly from right to eft while looking out my living room window when I lived up in Jersey.

http://flightaware.com/resources/airpor ... UAL+RWY+13 (http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KLGA/IAP/RIVER+VISUAL+RWY+13)

I thought of that, too. Someone sitting on the left side of the plane might see the zoo and the botanical garden in the distance and say they "flew over it."

stuart schechter
2008-04-24, 03:16 PM
Most definately the River Vis 13.

adam613
2008-04-24, 03:53 PM
Um, I'm not even sure the River Visual takes you far enough north that you could see the Botanical Garden...it's in the northern part of the Bronx, and the River Visual barely skirts the southern tip of the mainland. It was much more likely the LDA-A (or visual) approach to 22.

USAF Pilot 07
2008-04-24, 08:53 PM
No, it's not River Visual to 13... It's an approach to 22... I went to high school right next to the Botanical Gardens, and would see approaches to 22 all the time fly overhead and directly over the Botanical Gardens. I've even flown into LGA on such an approach.

There are no specific "tracks" up the Hudson, over Westchester Cty to join to an approach to 22 or the LDA. ATC's job is to sequence aircraft to land by properly spacing them to maximize efficiency and flow rate and minimize conflict.

If you are flying up the Hudson and there is no traffic in front of you, there's no reason for ATC to vector you miles up the Hudson, loop you over Westchester and then establish you on a 15 mile final either straight in to 22 or on the LDA...

It's not uncommon for ATC to give aircraft vectors to a shorter final. In the end, it saves time in the air, saving airlines money on fuel and giving ATC more flexibility to sequence the aircraft in trail.

An aircraft rolling onto a 2 mile final still has plenty of time to establish and configure itself for landing (if not done so already).

LGA777
2008-04-24, 11:44 PM
Like to add my 2 cents as I live in the Bedford Park section of the Bronx and live about 2 blocks from the Botanical Garden Metro North Station and walking distance from the gardens itself.

All of you who posted about it being the LDA to 22 are correct but a little more detail. This shorter over the Bronx approach seems to happen most often after about 10:00PM after most departures are finished. Sometimes also around 10-11AM after the early morning peak arrival rush has ended.

BTW the River Visual to 13 was in use this evening, could actually see the turns from the Southbound Deagan Expressway (I-87) from Southern Westchester County, firstime I viewed that approach from that vantage point !

Cheers

LGA777

stuart schechter
2008-04-24, 11:51 PM
USAF, That is true, BUT, if the aircraft is going for the instrument approach, then they must be vectored far enough north as to not miss the approach gate at the IAF on the approach. And yes, I did forget that we were talking about rwy 22...

njgtr82
2008-04-25, 12:20 AM
USAF, That is true, BUT, if the aircraft is going for the instrument approach, then they must be vectored far enough north as to not miss the approach gate at the IAF on the approach. And yes, I did forget that we were talking about rwy 22...

Not true at all. Aircraft do not have to be vectored to the IAF to make the approach. Lots of times when low traffic and when using the ILS aircraft will be vectored to the FAF for the ILS. It is not a requirement. At major airports it is very rare for aircraft to fly the full published approach. And with a visual approach they can be start the approach anywhere as long as they have the field and/or the aircraft they are following in sight.

Delta777LR
2008-04-25, 01:15 AM
For the rwy22 landings over the Bronx, Like LGA777 said as most shorter Bronx turns happens after 10pm, There are also times when they approach almost over Parkchester
near the Cross Bronx Expwy around 12 noon, when there isnt too much traffic on landings or else most times if the rwy 22 landings are active, the most part of the Bronx theyll fly over is Throgs Neck and Soundview.. Since I live in Throgs Neck, I see all the rwy 22 landings perfectly what if departures are using 31 or 13... That includes when I see the rwy 4 departures...

DHG750R
2008-04-26, 06:32 AM
Often times at night , landing 22. Aircraft are vectored up the Hudson for a right turn to final or to the east of the field with a left turn to final are given and will usually accept a visual apporach. This will happen when traffic is light enough of course VMC conditions are present. The ATIS will normally broadcast either the LDA or ILS . In the case of a visual approach, the ILS or LDA is tuned on the nav radio as a guide to the pilots