PDA

View Full Version : Catch-22 (movie)

cancidas
2008-04-17, 12:23 PM
has anyone seen this movie? i bought it the other day at work because i though it was going to be a good WWII aviation flick. the altitunes kiosk is the only place i buy movies lately because they have a 2-for-$20 deals on some older movies.

anyway, this turned out to be a very strange movie. i can only really compare it to a sienfeld episode in that it was almost about nothing. there were some strange themes in the movie, like the character milo who was so concerned about turning a profit for himself on stolen US materials that he took all the bomber crews' parachute to sell. i doubt that i'd recommend buying this to anyone, you've got to be into strange movies to really enjoy it i guess.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065528/

moose135
2008-04-17, 01:23 PM
I saw the movie (and read the book) years ago. Both were very good, I can recommend them - and you are right, a bit surreal.

RDU-JFK
2008-04-17, 01:28 PM
I read the book but never saw the movie...it was a strange book.

Major Major!

Gerard
2008-04-17, 08:22 PM
has anyone seen this movie? i bought it the other day at work because i though it was going to be a good WWII aviation flick. the altitunes kiosk is the only place i buy movies lately because they have a 2-for-$20 deals on some older movies.

anyway, this turned out to be a very strange movie. i can only really compare it to a sienfeld episode in that it was almost about nothing. there were some strange themes in the movie, like the character milo who was so concerned about turning a profit for himself on stolen US materials that he took all the bomber crews' parachute to sell. i doubt that i'd recommend buying this to anyone, you've got to be into strange movies to really enjoy it i guess.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065528/

Saw it last week as it has been running on one of the cable movie channels (HBO, Starz?). And YES it is a a very strange movie but what a cast of actors.
Kinda have to watch it a few times.

Idlewild
2008-04-18, 01:08 PM
It's a anti-war film that came out when war films were being churned out of Hollywood like they were going out of style. Most, like Catch-22, were pretty good. Not all of them were anti-war. I believe Catch-22 and MASH were but films such as Tora Tora Tora and Patton were supportive with some humorous/weird anti-war elements.